tax returns

stoil2

Registered Users (C)
It was suggested many times in this forum that is important to bring tax returns for the last 5 years to the interview. In the last 4 I filed electronically (E-file). What should I bring - just a printout of the 1040, or also W-2, should it be signed, etc.?

Thanks,
Stoil

stoil2 said:
It was suggested many times in this forum that is important to bring tax returns for the last 5 years to the interview. In the last 4 I filed electronically (E-file). What should I bring - just a printout of the 1040, or also W-2, should it be signed, etc.?

Thanks,
Stoil

did you save any copies of your e-file? i think you can just print the 1040 or request the tax transcripts from IRS.

Well, I have the files and I can print them again, but shouldn't I bring signed copy and also the W-2's? My wife is not in the US and I won't see her before my interview so she can't sign... I guess wouldn't be good idea for me to sign for her...

ocworker said:
did you save any copies of your e-file? i think you can just print the 1040 or request the tax transcripts from IRS.

stoil2 said:

Thanks,
Stoil
it was also suggested to list your traffic tickets, so what ?
in the interview letter, did it say antyhing about tax return ? no it didn't, so why are you creating issues for yourself ?

stoil2 said:
Well, I have the files and I can print them again, but shouldn't I bring signed copy and also the W-2's? My wife is not in the US and I won't see her before my interview so she can't sign... I guess wouldn't be good idea for me to sign for her...

well, you have the files, and i am sure you have the proof of the e-file status, right? bring along with you too. i brought the w2 with me, and i was not asked.

again, do what you feel comfortable, and do not take any advices for granted from anyone here, or outside of this forum. the advices are from personal experience. my case would be different than yours. someone mentions no tax return and no traffic tickets. they were lucky without being asked for it during the interview. what if you get asked and you did not prepare for it??

It is because you are the one who is going to accept the result of the interview, regardless you pass, or get denied.

stoil2 said:

A signature from one spouse is enough and sufficient to get the transcripts from IRS for joint tax returns.

Mikey70 said:
Request the transcript from IRS - takes about 10 days to get one.

Correct. This is from the IRS website :

"Most needs for tax return information can be met with a tax return transcript or a tax account transcript, rather than an actual copy of the return. The tax return transcript shows information from the return as it was originally filed. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either the taxpayer or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. Transcripts are provided free of charge. These transcripts may be acceptable substitutes for an actual copy of the return by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages. Check with your agency or lender to be sure.

You can obtain a transcript by calling (800)–829–1040 or by completing and mailing Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to the address listed in the instructions to request all types of transcript verification of non-filing, and wage/income information.

Transcripts will be mailed directly to you, and should be received within two weeks after the IRS gets your request. Transcripts can be mailed to a third party if you specify this on Form 4506–T. However, you must sign and date the form giving your consent for the disclosure.
"

In my opinion, Stoil, bring what makes sense to you - and tax transcipts have been recommended often enough. Worst case is that you will not be asked for them.

Alex

stoil2 said:

Thanks,
Stoil

Is most likely that you not going to need them. Just in case, if you bring a printout of 1040's is enough.