Tax Returns. Are They Really Necessary?

caryatus

I've read many times on different forums that 3 years tax returns are needed for K-1 affidavit of support, even though the official (governmental sites) requirement is a 125% of poverty line. Does anybody knows where this 3 years tax return info came from. Or, let say, I was unemployed for year or two and than got a good job ($40,000 for example) this year. Is this sufficient for K-1? Please advise anybody.

This is only what i know:

$40,000 is over above the poverty line especially if you are single and no dependents.

it depends what type of visa you're going to obtain from US consulate manila. Since non-immigrant like (k1 fiance/fiancee visa) needs to file affidavit of support form 1-134, they need a copy of ONE year of income tax return. If you are going to obtain immigrant visa or adjust your status here in USA, you'll use the 1-864 form AS and copies of 3 years income tax return because this have a legal teeth compare to 1-134. check this out: http://www.hervisa.com/affsupt.html. TAKE NOTE: some consulates are asking for 3 years ITR but if you dont have the previous 2 years you have to make a letter stating or explaining why you dont have it. WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS THE PRESENT INCOME YOU HAVE.