Tax Returns and Naturalization

sap283

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone!

My mom is in her 3rd year of PR and she doesn’t have any income. Obviously she lives with me and I support her. However, since she doesn’t have any income, I show her as a dependent on my tax return, but never filed her tax return (since no income). I don’t think she will have income in next 2 years, when she is ready to apply for US citizenship. Would this create any issue in naturalization application/qualification?

Any comments are appreciated. TIA!!!

Hello everyone!

My mom is in her 3rd year of PR and she doesn’t have any income. Obviously she lives with me and I support her. However, since she doesn’t have any income, I show her as a dependent on my tax return, but never filed her tax return (since no income). I don’t think she will have income in next 2 years, when she is ready to apply for US citizenship. Would this create any issue in naturalization application/qualification?

Any comments are appreciated. TIA!!!

No, this won't be an issue. If she has no income in a given year, she is not required to file the tax return for that year. However, the IO conducting the naturalization interview might ask about the source of her financial support, so it would be a good idea if she brings to the interview copies and IRS transcripts of your tax returns showing her as a dependant.

No, this won't be an issue. If she has no income in a given year, she is not required to file the tax return for that year. However, the IO conducting the naturalization interview might ask about the source of her financial support, so it would be a good idea if she brings to the interview copies and IRS transcripts of your tax returns showing her as a dependant.

Thanks a lot!