Tax Return Transcripts?

smhd

Registered Users (C)
Hello, im having the interview of citizenship (based on marriage) soon and im wondering if they will need just the tax return transcripts of the last 3 years or all the papers of taxes.
Any ideas?
Thank you!

I plan to have my interview end of the month and according to my attorney, all they requested is just your last 3 yrs tax returns. Since you are filing based on Marriage, make sure you both filed jointly or married filing separate with good excuses.
When is your interview date ?

Goodluck

Thank you for your reply, me and my wife filed the taxes together the last 5 years and I'm thinking maybe the officier will ask for the tax transcripts more than the copy of tax returns because the tax transcripts are official records.
Good luck to you too and let me know how was your interview please :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was requested by the IO to provide transcripts for 5 years, although I applied under 3 year rule (marriage application). Good idea to take transcripts with you as opposed to copies of returns for the reason you mentioned. I would strongly suggest that you get transcripts for the last 5 years instead of just 3, just in case they ask to see this many. It will save you time, possibly avoid you having to go back for another interview and it is a free request from the IRS....better safe than sorry.

How do you get 5 years of transcript via website? I've tried and was able to get last 3 years, website wont allow you to get more than 3 years, then I called IRS and I was told same thing, cannot get last 5 years, any advise? can we use copy of our 1040 return forms for 2008?

Now you can get 4 transcripts of •2009 •2010 •2011 •2012 from that website.
I had the 2008 before so i didn't need to get one.
Its a good idea to take the copy of 1040 tax return of the 2008 and explain to the officer that you called the IRS and what you was told.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you can get 4 transcripts of •2009 •2010 •2011 •2012 from that website.
I had the 2008 before so i didn't need to get one.
Its a good idea to take the copy of 1040 tax return of the 2008 and explain to the officer that you called the IRS and what you was told.

Did u try to get 2012 transcript from website? I did but didnt allow me to get then IRS told I cant get it before June or July 15th.
I guess that's what I have to do, bring transcripts from 2009 to 2011 and copy of 1040 for 2008.

Beside the copy of tax return 1040 of 2008 take a copy of tax return of 2012 too if you cant get the transcript of it, maybe they will ask you for that one.

Beside the copy of tax return 1040 of 2008 take a copy of tax return of 2012 too if you cant get the transcript of it, maybe they will ask you for that one.

I've requested extension on April 15th for year of 2012, so I am not done with 2012 yet, I hope that isnt going to be a problem!! I will try to file it before my interview.

You can get tax transcripts for 2007 thru 2012 by calling IRS by phone. You can get 2012 transcript after 2-3 weeks of filling, i received mine that i ordered online.

You can get tax transcripts for 2007 thru 2012 by calling IRS by phone. You can get 2012 transcript after 2-3 weeks of filling, i received mine that i ordered online.

I already called IRS and rep told me that I can only get for years 2009-2010-2011.. For 2012 I can request after June 15th.
She said if I want 2007-2008 there is $57 fee per year and it will be official "copy" of tax return, not transcript.

Select the option for IVR (automatic system) request and you can get free 2007 - 2012, you don't need to talk to a rep.

I though that 2012 tax transcripts will not be available till later. I got the 2009, 2010 and 2011 tax transcripts faxed to me this morning.

I can print out a copy of our 2012 1040 from TurboTax and proof that it was filed with the IRS. If I do that do they want all documents associated with the return such as W-2's and 1099's?

I already called IRS and rep told me that I can only get for years 2009-2010-2011.. For 2012 I can request after June 15th.
She said if I want 2007-2008 there is $57 fee per year and it will be official "copy" of tax return, not transcript.

The rep gave you information regarding getting a "copy" of your tax return. A tax transcript is a computer printout that shows the amounts.

Select the option for IVR (automatic system) request and you can get free 2007 - 2012, you don't need to talk to a rep.

That looks like worked? I just called 1-800-908-9946 and requested transcript for year of 2008 using IVR. I hope it arrives before interview date.
Thanks a lot

I just got a RFE for tax return for the most recent year... I submitted tax return transcrip 2011 + w2, 1099, when I applied (April) for the green card, because 2012 obviously wasn't able at that time... but now looks like they want it (%^$$):mad:. So I requested the tax return transcript 2012 by phone yesterday (05/31/2013) and they will mail me btw 5-10 days.

Everyone who are waiting for the tax return transcript 2012, double check now, dont wait until June 15th...

Good luck guys!

ALe

I have also only been able to get tax return transcripts for 2009 and more recent, but would like to try this option as well.

What does IVR stand for?

I read somewhere, can't remember where, if you e-file your tax return then a transcript is available 2-3 weeks after you file. If you mail it in then it is 6-8 weeks after you file.

The 2-3 weeks is true. I did e-file on April 15th and was able to get a transcript dated April 30th.

If you can't get a tax return transcript for the 5th year back (2008), will they accept a tax account transcript at the interview?