Tax return question

RareGold

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,

I received today my federal tax return transcripts ( married filing jointly for 2005,2006,2007).

I have a question though.

I lived and continuously living in Florida. In 2006 my husband worked for 2 months in South Carolina ( no rental, he lived in motel , coming home every weekend) and of course we filled jointly as S Carolina non residents at the end of 2006.

My questions is :

1. Besides 3 years federal tax return should I attach to application state tax returns as well?
2. If so, can anybody help me how can I get state tax return transcripts ( South Carolina) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rare Gold

You do NOT need to send any tax returns/transcripts along with your naturalization application unless you are filing your application on the basis of being a LPR for 3 yrs by virute of being married to a US citizen.

Secondly, you do NOT need state tax returns, instead only federal tax returns/transcripts.

Good luck...

You do NOT need to send any tax returns/transcripts along with your naturalization application unless you are filing your application on the basis of being a LPR for 3 yrs by virute of being married to a US citizen.

Secondly, you do NOT need state tax returns, instead only federal tax returns/transcripts.

Good luck...

Johnny Cash, thank your for your answer. I am more than happy I don't need Carolina State tax return transcript.

Yes, I am applying based on 3 years marriage, that's why I asked for tax returns.

Thanks again.
RareGold

Dear Johnny Cash,

If you don't mind let me ask you one more thing. I read your great post regarding what to bring to the interview . Quote:

"It's is very important to know that you should take both- federal and state tax returns with you...Again, both (state and federal) tax returns."

I understood not to send state tax return with my application based on 3 years marriage with US citizen, but according to your post, DO I NEED TO TAKE STATE TAX RETURN TO THE INTERVIEW?

Please clarify for me. Many thanks in advance.

RareGold.

You understood correctly that applicants do NOT need to submit state tax-returns along with their naturalization application, instead only federal tax returns/transcripts if their application is based on being a LPR for 3 yrs.

Also, I strongly advise EVERY naturalization-applicant, regardless of what is the basis of their N-400 such as under 5 yrs rule or 3 yrs rule or being in the military, to take with them their state tax returns as well. Why? Because it's been reported/seen lately in some district offices that some immigration officers ask for state tax returns as well. Though state tax returns were asked only in few cases, yet still fact remains the same that USCIS did demand state tax returns as well.

I strongly believe that odds for USCIS to ask state tax returns are only 1% but I'm a person who like to go to interview with all arsenels and don't like to leave any room for anything. Thus, I personally wouldn't give a chance to the officer to re-schedule me for another interview just for this documents. So I rather take this documents with me being a well-prepared than taking my chance. I don't like delaying nor denial.

It's not that hard to gather/collect state tax returns anyway. You do not need to worry about trasnscripts for state tax returns; rather certified copies to returns would do the trick. You may always contact or go in person to the taxation office in your state to get the copies of your returns. I'm sure you can contact them by email as well. You may also look up any information about them online by googling. If everything fails then just take the copies of state tax returns that you have with you as whenever people file federal tax-returns, they also file state tax returns as well if they are required to. So I'm sure everyone keeps a copy of their record pertaining to state tax returns as well. People can always contact the taxation office of whatever state where they ever filed any returns there regardless of where they live now. As per your post, I know that you guys filed non-resident tax in SC, so contact the SC taxation office to get the record or just take the copy of it to your interview if you don't be able to get certified copy of it on time.

Good luck...

Dear Johnny Cash,

If you don't mind let me ask you one more thing. I read your great post regarding what to bring to the interview . Quote:

"It's is very important to know that you should take both- federal and state tax returns with you...Again, both (state and federal) tax returns."

I understood not to send state tax return with my application based on 3 years marriage with US citizen, but according to your post, DO I NEED TO TAKE STATE TAX RETURN TO THE INTERVIEW?

Please clarify for me. Many thanks in advance.

RareGold.

JonnyCash, you do have a good point. I started to accumulate all possible documents that I can think based on a thread on this forum. I agree that it seems lately they will ask for weird documents. Do you have an updated list of documents that you would bring with you to an interview. Doesn't have to be detailed, just bullet points

Thanks

Do you have an updated list of documents that you would bring with you to an interview. Doesn't have to be detailed, just bullet points. Thanks

No, I don't have a separate updated list for documents for the interview nor I think anyone does on this forum. However, my given list on this board under sticky thread is updated one because I do update it whenever things change or new information/document unfolds. And no I don't have a list with just bullet points; rahter I've the same one which is very detailed. You may choose to ignore the detail in it and just take the bullet ones to accommodate your needs...

JohnnyCash, thank you. I had read the first few pages :) but today I went to the last pages. Thank you for keeping us up to date with your information. It is very helpful.

RareGold, if you google your State name and Department State of Revenue or Department of Taxation, you should be able to find the information. When you call them, they are very helpful.