Taking up an overseas job after GC

hytex

Registered Users (C)
I got my GC in Nov, 2004. Now I have couple of opportunities to relocate to India - one through my current employer, the other with another company. Could some one explain how I (and my stay-at-home wife) could protect our Permanent Residency status while still working abroad, say for the next two years. Also, is it safer (from protecting GC status point of view) to go with my current employer to India.

hytex said:
I got my GC in Nov, 2004. Now I have couple of opportunities to relocate to India - one through my current employer, the other with another company. Could some one explain how I (and my stay-at-home wife) could protect our Permanent Residency status while still working abroad, say for the next two years. Also, is it safer (from protecting GC status point of view) to go with my current employer to India.

(1) Apply for a re-entry permit
(2) file tax as resident and report your worldwide income
(3) Keep US bank accounts, retirment saving accounts, etc
(4) Keep your driver license

AmericanWannabe said:
(1) Apply for a re-entry permit
(2) file tax as resident and report your worldwide income
(3) Keep US bank accounts, retirment saving accounts, etc
(4) Keep your driver license

How the world-wide income is taxed? Is there a different tax brackect defined for world-wide income?

Is there a reference doccuments available to take a look at this, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

hytex said:

You need to apply for re-entry permit before relocating to India. Re-entry permit is good for two years. Once you apply for re-entry permit, there is no issue with GC even if you relocate to India "temporarily" for that two years. However you need to move back to USA before your re-entry permit expires. You can apply for 2nd re-entry permit again (while living in USA), but 2nd re-entry permit is normally difficult to get.

abc13 said:
How the world-wide income is taxed? Is there a different tax brackect defined for world-wide income?

Is there a reference doccuments available to take a look at this, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

There is a IRS publication called something like "Guide for Citizens and Permanent resident living abroad". Go to
http://www.irs.gov to find it and download it.

It is Publication 54

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf