Taking car to Canada!!

desi@USA

Registered Users (C)
Hi! all,

Does any one have any idea how much a hassle is it to take the car to Canada.

I prefer selling my car ( Honda Civic) but if I do not get a good price then I plan to take it along???

In case you know of anyone who is planning to buy a car let me know.

Mine is a 98, Honda Civic, low miles 2 Dr Coupe. well maintained.

Any comments will be appreciated!!!!

Call registry in the province where you plan to reside.
Ask for the requirements for registering car imported from US.
I know one of the requirement is a letter from manufacturer stating your car win# meets canadian standards. Any items that does not meet they have to list down and you have to fix it.

there is a list that the Canada customs people can mail you. It has a list of Cars and Models/Year which can be taken to Canada.
Unfotunately mine was a Camry 91 and it was not allowed in, so I had to sell it in USA.

Also, if you are allowed to bring a car in, you have to some modificatins (the book will tell you) after which you can get it registered.

I would have brought my car. It was unnecessary hassle for me to sell and buy a used car and still have to take a loan etc...
I had just finished paying the loan on the Camry while in USA.

So try to get it. It will save you time and money.

Driving own Car to Canada without "exporting"

I have landing papers. I am planning to land to Canada as an "immigrant" and return back to USA next day.

Is it possible to drive my own car without actually "exporting" to Canada ?

Can any one please answer this ? I really have to decide this today.

Thanks in advance.

Guys,

One can take their car. CIC Canada will treat it as if you were importing the car into Canada, and charge you. You will be forced to make the necessary modifications (change the odometer) and register the car in Canada. If you do not do that and bring you car back into US, You will get nasty letters from the Transportation department.

It is not work the hassele. If your car is paid off, and you are not planning on returning back to US to resume work, then take the car along. If you buy a car in Toronto, you will end up paying 17% tax on it. :p

If you are going into Canada, just to get your PP stamped (Landing papers), then take a rental car!!

Good Luck

I took my car while landing and declared it in the list of items to follow. I did not have any problems while landing.

But one thing I am not sure of is, do I have to pay any customs when I end up importing my car to Canada on a later date. The customs person appraised my car's value as $18,000 CAD and she also said that if I import the car within one year of my landing then I will not have to pay customs. But I heard from another person who had landed that he had to pay customs because his car's value was more than $10,000. Hopefully someone can clarify this for me.

RAJ5,

I am also planing to Visit Toronto to apply for PR card.

I have not declared my car at the time of landing and I am not going to take it to Canada as it is CAMRY 91 and is not admissable according to Canada standerd.

I compleated my landing by Air in 2002 before 28 June and left Canada after 2 weeks, I have got the SIN.

My question to you is that I want to go by border this time and I read that once you are PR of Canada I can not drive my US plated car in Canada.

Should I take a rental car? one way or return ? what will be better, I will be staying for 4-5 days in Toronto and then will be back to US.

Will they ask any quastions if going by Rental car please suggest what will be better option for me.
I will be leaving from NJ.

chowchow,

No no problem at all if you drive a rental car.
Also I declared my car in goods to follow. It was not a problem. However once you become a PR, you cannot drive a rental car with US plates into Canada. Canada customs might seize the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vault
Then How can I take a rental car to canada..? As soon as I drive into canada I'll become a PR but I'll have US plated rental car with me..!!

I'm planning to drive to canada from Seattle to Vancouver port and planning to take a rental car in seattle? What if I want to stay there for couple of days .....

According to you they don't allow me once I become a PR at the Border itself..

Please give some suggestions ....

chowchow,

It is not a problem to take a rental car when you are landing in Canada. You can always tell the Custons folks that you will be returning the car in Canada. They will not questions you about this. If you are planning on returning back to US, you shouldn;t have any problems. I have done this.

Yes I had stated that you cannot drive a rental car in my previous post applis to folks who have already landed in Canada, and are entering back into Canada.

Hope this cleared your doubts!!

If you go to Hertz/Avis in Buffalo Airport, they might be able to find you a car with Canadian plates. When you make the reservation for your rental car, tell them you would like to have a car with Canadian plates. I have done this many times, and I never had any problems.

Vault

you have given a very good information in your prev post.

Please tell us that when u took rental car with canadian plates from buffalo airport, I assume that u must be having US driving licence, did anyone ever ask about your DL at the post ??? because if they ask to show your DL and u have us DL then how one is going to explain it ?? He may be in trouble.

I am also thinking of going to Toronto in near future, after a long time, taking a rental car with canadian plates is a good idea but I was wondering if they ask to show DL then what to tell them, I dont have ca DL ???

One more thing .. did you ask for a canadian plate car to avis/hertz while booking online or on the airport ?

your input is highly appreciated

thanks

Sawill,

I have a Canadian DL. You will be in trouble if they ask you to show your DL. The only option is to either travel by bus or by train. When I enter Canada, I carry my SIN Card, Health/OHIP card, my Canadian DL, Canadian Credit Cards, Bank Statements.

I sincerely hope that you folks have all of the above. If you don't you better get them. At the time of citizenship, if they suspect, you will be asked to provide all of these documents.

Good Luck!!

For vault

Hi Vault

Your inputs are highly appreciated. I want to know that I am going to be a PR and want to drive across the border. what would be the best way for me to rent the car in buffalo? I have US DL and will be returning back after a week. Should I take Canadian-plated car, or US plates? As in your previous message, u said that without Canadian DL it would be wrong to drive a Canadian plated car...

I will be going next week
please advise

hmnpa

For Vault

Thank you very much vault for the valuable info & advice, I sincerely appreciate it.

I have all of the docs u mentioned, except canadian credit card and DL which I couldnt get a chance to try for. Once I tried for DL but they wanted my US dl to surender which I didnt like. Next time I will try to get it.

Anyway.. few more confusions/question
* you know in Canada its hard to get credit card initially and especially w/o a canadian job history, please tell if u know any of the bank or institution which easily issues credit card.

* I know if going by bus, every passinger has to pass thru imm/customs office at peace bridge,
- does same go for train too, if travelling by train ??
- How is crossing Rainbow Niagara by taxi or on foot ???

Please advise
thanks

sawill

In regards to your creditcard question, I don't know how you can get one easily. You could try for a secured credit Card. If you have an operational checking account in a Canadian bank, then you could talk with your personal banker at the branch you opened the account.

I normally go via Queenston/Lewiston. Don't have any experience going via Peace.

If you travel by Train, Canada Customs Officers board the train before the train enters Canada, and they inspect everyone on the train. It is the same with Bus, or Taxi or if you drive.

I have never crossed the border via foot.

good Luck!!