Surrender Certificate and OCI Trackers

rajmandude1, when applying for both of your SC and passport cancellations, you can submit as one package with a combined certified check for the fees. For the return postage, the instructions currently ask you to submit a USPS return envelope with prepaid postage label. See the instructions here.

Applied SC/OCI together @ CGINY for family including (India born) minor kid.
Child only has US passport & no naturalization certificate - (I've not applied for N-600 for child yet)
For OCI processing CGINY wants the child's nat cert. I wrote them a letter mentioning that for
minor children nat. cert. is optional & we don't have one. Yet to hear back from
CGINY on this. No update on other family members applications too.

If they insist on nat. cert for the kid, I may have wait for another one year to
apply for OCI for kid!!!???. (Because currently N-600 processing takes about 10 months)

No update on SC apps too.

Quick question(s):
- Any one have similar (minor child) experience with CGINY?
- Isn't US passport alone sufficient for minors to apply for OCI??

Thanks.

Timeline:
Document mailed 7/19/2010
CGI-NY Received 7/20/2010
voice mail First week of Sept'10

You should tell the CGINY that your minor child attained US citizenship by derivation through your naturalization. Maybe attach an affidavit from yourself and quote the exact text on the USCIS website which talks about naturalization by derivation and also provide the URL to that page. Hopefully that will suffice for your child's OCI. Having said that, you should apply for the N-600 for your child for his/her future records. I think it is important enough to do this.

Its clearly written in OCI instruction that we need to send surrender certificate along with the OCI form. You may see the checklist given on Consulate general of India NY site. Its also mentioned that in absence of surrender certificate and copy of canceled Indian passport, OCi application will not be processed. the best way is do in a sequential way (1) get surrender certificate and canceled Indian passport(2) apply for OCI thereafter. You will be much better off. Thanks

I believe for one family, one envelop is required. For express service close to $20.00 and for priory mail around $6.00

Applied SC/OCI together @ CGINY for family including (India born) minor kid.
Child only has US passport & no naturalization certificate - (I've not applied for N-600 for child yet)
For OCI processing CGINY wants the child's nat cert. I wrote them a letter mentioning that for
minor children nat. cert. is optional & we don't have one. Yet to hear back from
CGINY on this. No update on other family members applications too.

If they insist on nat. cert for the kid, I may have wait for another one year to
apply for OCI for kid!!!???. (Because currently N-600 processing takes about 10 months)

No update on SC apps too.

Quick question(s):
- Any one have similar (minor child) experience with CGINY?
- Isn't US passport alone sufficient for minors to apply for OCI??

Thanks.

Timeline:
Document mailed 7/19/2010
CGI-NY Received 7/20/2010
voice mail First week of Sept'10

Update:

Long story short...:

After nearly 5-month wait (with no communication), kid's OCI application returned back.
I need to re-apply for SC/OCI again for kid after the Citizenship Cert (N-600);

Lesson learned:
- DO NOT apply SC & OCI together
- When apply for SC/OCI minor kid, US passport alone is not sufficient; CGINY needs Citizenship Cert for minor kid's too.

Update:

Long story short...:

After nearly 5-month wait (with no communication), kid's OCI application returned back.
I need to re-apply for SC/OCI again for kid after the Citizenship Cert (N-600);

Lesson learned:
- DO NOT apply SC & OCI together
- When apply for SC/OCI minor kid, US passport alone is not sufficient; CGINY needs Citizenship Cert for minor kid's too.

This is unbelievable.
It is mentioned in the instructions that send parents' natz cert and kid's US passport.
I di dthe same thing but I just applied a week ago so not sure what will be teh outcome.

This is unbelievable.
It is mentioned in the instructions that send parents' natz cert and kid's US passport.
I di dthe same thing but I just applied a week ago so not sure what will be teh outcome.

My 2cents..
Apply for your kid's N-600 immediately & hope that it's processed sooner. When OCI cell calls you asking for the kid's Citizen cert., depending on the progress of the N-600 you could respond accordingly.

My 2cents..
Apply for your kid's N-600 immediately & hope that it's processed sooner. When OCI cell calls you asking for the kid's Citizen cert., depending on the progress of the N-600 you could respond accordingly.

Great idea disney2k. I had already applied for my kids natz but I am hoping to get it only in March.
let us see how it goes.
thanks again.

Great idea disney2k. I had already applied for my kids natz but I am hoping to get it only in March.
let us see how it goes.
thanks again.

One more tip.. It worked for me.. but YMMV...

Got kid's N-600 interview letter with the interview date of about 3 week's out.
That date will be school working day & my kid didn't want to take off from school.

So I took an InfoPass appointment, on the first day of school Christmas break. Deliberately took the afternoon appointment as it's usually less crowded in the afternoon.
Went to the Regional office with family & all documents.
Explained the situation that the original interview date falls on a school day blah.. blah.. & requested if they could do the interview during the school holiday's.
The lady at the counter first said that we need to write to USCIS for change of interview date etc.. & then she wanted to check with the Supervisor to make sure.
Few minutes later she came back & said that one of the officer will meet with us in a few minutes.
After about 10 minutes wait, we were called in. Officer guy conducted the interview, checked all paper work & took signature. He asked us to wait outside for about 20-mins
to print the "Cert. of Citz". 20-mins later we were called-in again to hand over the packet containing the certificate.

We were a bit surprised indeed... :=))

Hope it helps...

My final SC and OCI timelines

Finally got my OCI visa stamp and OCI booklet back today. Recapping both my SC and OCI journeys with the CGI NY:

SC timeline:
8/25/10: My SC application was received at the CGINY
8/27/10: Application payment receipt created for $185 ($175 + $10)
8/31/10: SC is signed by S.S. Dhariwal and date stamped
9/3/10: Priority Mail mailing label created and probably the mailing package readied
9/10/10: Priority Mail package with SC and cancelled Indian passport received at home

OCI timeline:
11/8/10: OCI application received in NY
11/10/10: Email acknowledging receiving package
12/11/10: Acknowledgment in system
12/13/10: Photo/signature scanned
12/21/10: OCI granted
12/21/10: OCI printed
12/24/10: Documents dispatched
12/31/10: Documents reach NY
1/3/11: Our US passports received in NY
1/11/11: Passports, OCI visas, OCI booklets received back

Good luck to everyone!