Summons For Standby Jury Service

acidor

Registered Users (C)
Hello...

One quick question: my husband is out of status and he was called for jury duty! I know that you have to show proof that you are not an American citizen, so what could he do without getting in troubles?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

well they already know where ur husband is! so signing that paper sending it back won't change a thing. it's not like you are giving them additional information about the status of ur husband and his whereabouts! just ask him to tick the i am not a citizen option and send the form back. i received one when i was still an asylee and did the same thing.

Hello...

One quick question: my husband is out of status and he was called for jury duty! I know that you have to show proof that you are not an American citizen, so what could he do without getting in troubles?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

I received that same jury duty letter while back when I was in process of my asylum application. I never had to send any proof of my current ( At that time ) status. All I did was sent a letter mentioning them that I'm not an US citizen & that's all took care that. Just because one can not be eligible for that jury duty does not necessarilly means that person is out of status. Being a permanent resident one is not eligible for that. It's strictly for US citizens that's all. So don't worry just tell your husband to write a letter saying he's not an US citizen & that's all make him ineligible for that jury duty process.
Atique.

Thanks for your quick reply :)
I was thinking to do that, but on the letter it said he should call the center if he answered NO to at least one question of the form ( for example "Are you a US citizen?")
...I guess I will mail the form with a letter as you also mentioned!
Thanks again!

i have receivd jury duty letters about 3 times in last few yrs, u either need to call the number in the document an dsay u r not a citizen or mail back the document with any proof of not being a citizen. i sent back the jury letter with my asylum document.

i heared u got to wait few yrs and u are paid $25?

you don't need a proof. i called them when i received mine. they told me this happens a lot. just say you are not a citizen on the back of the form, sign it and send it back.

if out of status, tell or show them his visa expired or not. first call and later they will ask to send back the jury letter along with any proof of not being a citizen. in the jury letter, u got to check one that says u r not a US citizen and therfore cant serve as jury. i got first one when i was in out of status, sent back the jury letter with signature and correcting checking and my tourist visa copy. next 2 ones i got when i got asylum. did the same, mailed back the jury letter with correct checking with my asylum papers.

dont ignore it. just mail it back with asylum papers, tourist visa or anything that proves not being a citizen. they will ask for nothing more. it is easy to get this done