• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Sucessful CP in Jakarta, Indonesia

Gerindo

Registered Users (C)
Finally, after months of waiting, I have finished the DV process and got my U.S Permanent Resident. Sorry for the long thread. I'm trying to provide as much detail as I can in hoping that it will help people in the future.

Case file transfer from the U.S Consulate in Frankfurt to the U.S Embassy in Jakarta
When I received my 2nd NL in December 09, I was surprised that the KCC has made a mistake by scheduling my interview in Frankfurt instead in Jakarta. I assume they did this because they were confused with my application. I was born in Germany but I'm an Indonesian Citizen, yet I did not put any Indonesian address in my application because I was currently living in the U.S as an F1 student.

At first, I would go with KCC and choose to do the interview in Frankfurt. But after my visa to Germany (Schengen visa) was rejected by the German Consulate in Miami, I had no choice but to request the U.S Embassy in Frankfurt to transfer my file to Jakarta. I contacted the U.S Embassy in Jakarta and The U.S Consulate in Frankfurt. The U.S Consulate in Frankfurt told me that they have transferred my file and should arrived in Jakarta in about 2-3 months. Afterward, I received an e-mail from the U.S Embassy in Jakarta and told me that they have been in contact with Frankfurt and my file has been sent through diplomatic pouch.

After almost a month waiting (Jan 26 - Feb 25 '09), I contacted the U.S Embassy in Jakarta and they told me that my file has arrived and they are waiting for me to come to the Embassy to do the Document Screening before they can schedule an interview.

DV Process in Jakarta
March 7th '09: Arrived in Jakarta from the U.S

March 10th '09:
Medical Check up done at SOS Medika Clinic

March 11th '09: Obtained Indonesian Police Certificate (SKCK)

March 12th '09:
Document Screening at the U.S Embassy in Jakarta
I went to the Embassy around 11pm. Passed the security check, hand over my cell phone and went in to the visa section where the counters are. Inside, the room is divided into 2 section. Immigrant visa and U.S Passport to the left of the room and Non-Immigrant visa to the right of the room.

The room was packed with people waiting to be called for visa interview, since there aren't enough seats on the non-immigrant visa section, some people sat down on the immigrant visa section. Luckily, I was the only immigrant visa applicant. I went to the window no 5 and waited there until a nice Indonesian lady asked for my passport and told me to sit down to be called.

After about 10 minutes of waiting, the Lady came back and called my name to approach to window no.5. She brought all the documents that I sent to the KCC. She then asked me to present all the original documents with the photo copies. I gave her my Birth Certificate, High School Diploma, College Diploma, Police Certificate, and I-134. She then verify the documents, and stamped the copies.

When I showed the I-134, She was a bit confused and asked me who is this person on the I-134. I told Her that She was my sponsor in the U.S. She then asked for my Bank Statement. I gave her my Bank of America statement from last month. She looked at it, and told me it is not enough. I had about $7,000 showing on the Statement. She also asked for the last 3 months of the statement. I told her that I don't have it with me. She asked if its possible to print them out from the internet, and I said yes. She then gave me a small post-it note and told me to bring those 3 months bank statements and the original documents at the interview. The Lady then print out an interview invitation letter and asked me when I would like to be interviewed. I said to her, as soon as possible. She gave me an interview appointment for Monday, March 16th '09. I thank her, and left the embassy.

March 13th '09: DV Interview
The next morning, around 9 am, the Lady from the U.S Embassy called me and told me that they have an opening for interview on that day at 1pm. She said to come to the Embassy and bring all the required documents.

I arrived at the Embassy around 12:15pm. The guards at the main gate won't let me in because it is the Embassy' employee lunch time. They told me to wait outside the Embassy until around 1:00pm. For those who ever been to the U.S Embassy in Jakarta, they make you wait underneath the highway bridge, where it is hot, humid, and dirty. I waited until around 12:50pm. The guards let me in. After they screened my belongings and took my cell phone. I went in to the visa waiting room. At that time, I was the only one there. After 10 minutes of waiting, the Indonesian Lady who called me on the phone, called my name to approach Window 5. I gave her all the original documents plus the last 3 months bank statements. She took all the documents and told me to pay the $775 visa fee at the Cashier on the next window. Once I paid the visa fee, I gave her the receipt, and She then told me to sit down and wait to be called for interview.

I waited for about 5 minutes, when the Consular called my name and He told me to enter Room 1 (window 1). Inside the room, the interview begins:
Consular: Hi, Good Afternoon!
Me: Good afternoon
Consular: Lift your right hand and do you swear that everything that you wrote in this application is the truth?
(Lift my right hand)
Me: Yes
(Consular Handed over the DS-230 form)
Consular: Please sign here
(I signed the form)
Consular: How many times have you been playing the lottery, or is this your first time?
Me: I started after I finished High School, about 10 years ago.
Consular: You go to the University of... ?, What is your Major?
Me: Industrial Engineering
Consular: When will you be graduating?
Me: This May
Consular: What will you do after graduation?
Me: Apply for Graduate School
Consular: You graduate high school in the U.S?
(Consular Check on the Computer)
Consular: You also got your Associate Degree from.... College? Why did you choose....College?
Me: Because at time I didn't want to move to another place, and that College was in the same city where I graduate High School.
Consular: What is your Associate Degree on?
Me: Engineering
Consular: You got your Associate Degree then you transfer to the University of..?
(Consular signed all the stamped copies of the original documents and check on the computer).
Consular: Who is this....? (the name on my I-134)
Me: My Sponsor in the U.S who has been taking care of me while I'm in the U.S
Consular: Everything seems ok here. Have you done the medical yet?
Me: Yes I did, on Tuesday
Consular: Ok, assuming there's nothing wrong with the medical results, you should be getting your visa.
Me: Thank you
(The Consular handed over all my original documents. To my surprise, The Consular did not take or even look at the Bank Statements).
Consular: Please wait outside

I then went outside to the waiting room. Five minute later, a young American Lady called my name to approach Window 3 to do the Biometric.

Afterwards, I was given the pasport pick-up slip and was told to pick-up the passport on Tuesday, March 17th.

March 17th '09: Delayed with the Medical Result
In the morning, the Lady at the Embassy called me and told me that the visa is not ready yet because they haven't recived the medical results from the Embassy mailing room (not the Clinic). The Clinic already sent the Medical result but the U.S Embassy mailing room need couple of days to sort the letters and screen them before they can be brought to the visa section office.

March 18th '09: Called from the Embassy
Around 2pm in the afternoon, the Lady called me again and told me that the passport and visa is ready to be picked-up. But the Embassy is closing in another hour, so She told me that if I can't make it that day, I can always pick it up the next day.

March 19th '09:
Picked up the visa
I arrived at the Embassy gate around 2:45pm. I showed my pick-up slip and told to go in to the visa waiting room. I went in and gave the slip to one of the Embassy staff inside. 5 Minute later, the Lady came to Window No.5 and gave me my passport with the immigrant visa on it. She told me to check if the information on the visa is correct. She then handed me a big sealed brown envelope. She told me to carry the envelope on my carry-on and give it to the Immigration officer at the PoE.

POE at LAX
March 23rd '09:
I flew to the U.S and POE at Los Angeles International (LAX). Went in line with non-immigrants. The Immigration officer asked me several question:
Officer: Do you speak English?
Me: yes
Officer: How did you get this visa? Who's sponsoring you?
Me: I got it through the Lottery
Officer: What? I don't understand
Me: I got it through the Green Card Lottery
Officer: I don't know what that is, you need to explain it to me
Me: I put my name to the Dept of State, and they choose it randomly
Officer: Randomly?
Me: Yes, it is chosen by random
Officer: You won the lottery, you must be lucky?
Officer: What happen to those who don't get chosen?
Me: Well...they don't get it
Officer: I see, .....1995?
Me: Excuse me?
Officer: The program started in 1995 right?
Me: Uhh..yes
Officer: Your English is very good
Officer: Is this your first time to the U.S?
Me: No
Officer: What kind of job are you going to do in the U,S?
Me: Industrial Engineer
Officer: They don't pay good for Industrial Engineer in your country?
Me: Not So much
Officer: I see, you should be a doctor, the pay is good
Me: I'm not smart enough to be a doctor and the school is too long
Officer: I'm not too smart either
Officer: Welcome to America
Me:Thank you
(Officer took my fingerprint, picture, and signed the brown envelope with an OK signature)
Officer: Bring your passport and envelope to the New Immigrant section at the end

I went to the New immigrant line. A female Immigration officer took my finger print and told me to sign the form. She then told me to get my luggage and wait in the waiting area. After 2 hours of waiting, another officer called my name and told me that the Stamp in my passport act as a temporary green card and as a work permit until they mailed the actual card. He said that I should expect the green card in my mail in 2-3 months. :D

Thank you all for the supports. For the past year, this forum has been giving me hope, support, and priceless help. I wish all the best to all of you future DV recipients. I will be still coming to this thread once a while to give people support and help they need. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations :)
Hope you will get a much better life in US and much brighter future there :)

and thank you for your post, it really help other Indonesian !

Congratulations !!!

Congratulations !!!
It is your turn to tell everyone about your wonderful story.
Thank you for sharing the valuable information.
Well done !!!

Congrats Gerindo

Gerindo you deserved the best after putting up with these F1 visa conditions for long, now you dont need to worry of taking classes like 'photography and cooking' simply because they require that you take 12 credit hours whether u like it or not. May your pockets fill to the brim and Wish you luck in your new status.

Congratulations !!! Gerindo
Thanks for your story about your interview experience !!! I hope you can do very well in USA as the new immigrant !!! Good luck to you !!!