Successful H1B stamping at Montreal on 31-Oct

McBull

Registered Users (C)
Just returned from Montreal after stamping. Want to share my experience.

Background:
Indian PP holder, typical muslim name, 4th year H1B extension, 3 year H1B expired on 31-Oct-2006, previous H1B stamped at Toronto without any problem, changed status from F1 to H1B, I-140 pending approval and multiple visits to middle east country.

Entered Canada by road on Visitor Visa. Entering Canada was simple. Was asked about the purpose of visit at checkpoint and also some typical questions like carrying any alcohol, drugs, firearms. Then I was asked to see immigration officer inside building. He asked me the purpose of visit again and the interview appointment letter. He saw my previous entry into Canada and did not bother to look at the appointment letter.

Arrived at US Consulate on time. Went through heavy security check and was told to pay fee at Counter 13. The lady took my passport, visa application with photo and asked when I took the photo. I told something like a month ago. She didn't seem satisfied with my answer though I look very much like my photo. She gave me a token number then the wait began.

After almost like an hour and half, I was called at one counter. Here they took the documents required for H1 and ofcourse few questions.
VO: Good Morning
Me: Good Morning
VO: You are visitor in Canada.......Looks like u have visited X(middle east) country multiple times. Was this country your transit point to/from India?
Me: Yes, most of the visits.
VO: Do u have ur I-797 and I-129?
Me: Yes
VO: Also do u have current employment letter?
VO: What is ur position?
Me: I'm Civil/Structural engineer.
VO: Do u have a US degree?
VO: When did u graduate?
Me: May 2003
VO: When did u start working?
VO: Did u work on your OPT?
VO: When did u first enter US?
Me: Aug 2001 (she looks at my previous visas)
VO: So, this is visa renewal. You can have seat and will be called with the same token number.
Me: Thanks

After about another 20 mins I was called with my name loud and clear at another window. Another lady VO.

VO: Good....
VO: What is your position in Y company?
Me: I work as Civil/Structural Engineer.
VO: Do you ...Urban Planning?
Me: No, we are Structural engineering firm. We design bridges, tunnels, roads.
VO: So, who are your clients? like City or Municipal...?
Me: Its NY State Dept of Transportation, Port Authority and sometimes local City.
VO: Oh great, so I guess these project involve huge money..
Me: Yes, some projects go in millions.
VO: What was ur major in MS?
Me: Civil Engineering, Structures as Major.
VO: (Looking at my DS-157) So u graduated from Z university?
VO: Did u work for any other company before?
Me: Yeah, I work for a company on OPT.
Vo: (Looking at my DS-157) and that is XX company.
VO: And you live in NJ?
VO: OK, first I need your left index finger print and then the right....
Me: Ok
VO: You have to pay $50 as reciprocity fee and comeback to this counter.

I paid the fee and was given the receipt by the VO to collect PP next day.

Entering back into USA:
Off: Can I have some form of ID?
Me: (Handed over PP)
Off: What is your country of Citizenship?
Me: India (moron look at the passport)
Off: Where do u live?
Me: NJ
Off: What was your purpose of trip to Canada?
Me: To get my visa stamping....
Off: You went to get visa all over again?
Me: :confused: Yeah
Off: Park your car inside the canopy/building and wait to be called. (He took my PP with expired I-94).

After about 10 mins........
Off: What do you do for X company?
Me: I work as ...... blah blah (same story again)
Off: Why did u get the visa stamped? Are you planning to go somewhere?
Me: Yes, I'm planning a visit to India
Off: So u have visited X(middle east) country? (looking at my PP)
Off: When did u last visit India?
Me: Dec-2005
Off: Was X country your transit point?
Me: Yeah most of the time
Off: Where did u visit in Mar-2006
Me: Country X
Off: I thought this was your transit point only
Me: Yeah most of the time but last visit was not.
Off: So do u have any relatives/friends there?
Me: Yeah
Off: What do they do there?
Me: they work as so and so engineers
Off: Have u ever been convicted of any crime, .....?
Me: No
Off: Have u ever been denied a US visa?
Off: Have u ever been denied entry into US?
Off: what is your address in US?
Me: (I tell him address)
Off: (finger print scans, photo and a new I-94 for $6......)

I guess my last visa stamping at Toronto was better than this one. But I liked the city of Montreal. Driving in the city is cool. Rue Saint Catherine is must visit. Also there is a desi area (Rue Jean Talon) with some good desi restarants and also few scattered bad desi restarants in downtown.

Let me know if there is anything more I can help with. Sorry for the lenghty post.

Wow...congrats for getting ur visa stamped :)
I am so damn tensed up abt my visa. I am an Indian working in Toronto since a little more than 1.5 years and my current employer filed my h1b. I need to go to US and decided to get my h1b stamped from toronto rather than going back to India and getting it stamped from there.

Do you think I will have any issues with this? Not sure if you can help me with this issue :(. I have also applied for a Canadian PR which is under process...not sure if that helps in any way for my stamping.

Montreal stamping

What should be the response when asked about the purpose of visit at checkpoint ?

McBull said:

Background:
Indian PP holder, typical muslim name, 4th year H1B extension, 3 year H1B expired on 31-Oct-2006, previous H1B stamped at Toronto without any problem, changed status from F1 to H1B, I-140 pending approval and multiple visits to middle east country.

Entered Canada by road on Visitor Visa. Entering Canada was simple. Was asked about the purpose of visit at checkpoint and also some typical questions like carrying any alcohol, drugs, firearms. Then I was asked to see immigration officer inside building. He asked me the purpose of visit again and the interview appointment letter. He saw my previous entry into Canada and did not bother to look at the appointment letter.

Arrived at US Consulate on time. Went through heavy security check and was told to pay fee at Counter 13. The lady took my passport, visa application with photo and asked when I took the photo. I told something like a month ago. She didn't seem satisfied with my answer though I look very much like my photo. She gave me a token number then the wait began.

After almost like an hour and half, I was called at one counter. Here they took the documents required for H1 and ofcourse few questions.
VO: You are visitor in Canada.......Looks like u have visited X(middle east) country multiple times. Was this country your transit point to/from India?
VO: So, this is visa renewal. You can have seat and will be called with the same token number.

After about another 20 mins I was called with my name loud and clear at another window. Another lady VO.

Me: Its NY State Dept of Transportation, Port Authority and sometimes local City.

Entering back into USA:
Off: Park your car inside the canopy/building and wait to be called. (He took my PP with expired I-94).

I guess my last visa stamping at Toronto was better than this one. But I liked the city of Montreal. Driving in the city is cool. Rue Saint Catherine is must visit. Also there is a desi area (Rue Jean Talon) with some good desi restarants and also few scattered bad desi restarants in downtown.

Let me know if there is anything more I can help with. Sorry for the lenghty post.

I will appreciate if somebody would answer my query.

My case is , I was initially issued H1B for only 2 years( dont know the reason) . I have entered US in AUG 2006 almost 1 year after H1 approval . My visa got stamped at chennai, INDIA. It got expired on 1st OCT 2007. I got my new H1 extension for 3 more years from different employer . I got the approval notice too couple of months back . Does it create any issues as I am going for stamping after the first expired approved H1 dates i.e OCT 1st. Any other issues I am going to face with this .

Wow...congrats for getting ur visa stamped :)
I am so damn tensed up abt my visa. I am an Indian working in Toronto since a little more than 1.5 years and my current employer filed my h1b. I need to go to US and decided to get my h1b stamped from toronto rather than going back to India and getting it stamped from there.

Do you think I will have any issues with this? Not sure if you can help me with this issue :(. I have also applied for a Canadian PR which is under process...not sure if that helps in any way for my stamping.

No, you have a strong case for applying from Toronto consulate. Don't forget to carry the educational evaluations though ... applying for Canadian PR won't pose as a blocker ...

I will appreciate if somebody would answer my query.

My case is , I was initially issued H1B for only 2 years( dont know the reason) . I have entered US in AUG 2006 almost 1 year after H1 approval . My visa got stamped at chennai, INDIA. It got expired on 1st OCT 2007. I got my new H1 extension for 3 more years from different employer . I got the approval notice too couple of months back . Does it create any issues as I am going for stamping after the first expired approved H1 dates i.e OCT 1st. Any other issues I am going to face with this .

I do not see any issues provided your new employer applied for H-1B transfer before October 1, 2007. By the way, you need a new visa stamp only when the previous one expires.

Thnx for Info,

My new employer filed well in advace(July07) for H1 transfer(extension). Actually He initially filed my H1 with one big company(200+ emp) and transferred to his own(small-70 employees) company now. My concern is that can I stay here till the expiry of new H1 (3years) without visa stamping. Is that Stamping is mandatory ?. What if I dont want to leave US may be for another 2yrs and want to get it stamped after 2 years. Does it would be any issue. What would be the best option for getting stamped ?

here in canada(as I am living in Boston) or India ? what are the chances in getting stamped in INDIA ? I heard that it is very tuff in India? Is that true ?

what if I am planning to visit India in March /April 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as long as you restrict your travelling within US/Canada/Mexico, you do not need a visa stamping. That entirely depends how well you are prepared with documentation. Please read here for details.

Any one got H1 stamped recently from Montreal,canada ? I live in Boston , Planning to go to Montreal which is nearest consulate to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi,
Appreciate if some body share their experience in H1 stamping at Montreal recently ? I am planning to visit India in March,so I want to get it stamped before leaving India. I am living in Boston Area.

Hi I need some help from you. Actually I am also structural engg, was working in India but now as I am on H4 visa and not suppose to work, looking for some job company ready to sponsper H1. please send me if u know some information regarding the job openings for civil structural engg jobs
thanks

Background:

Entering back into USA: