successful CP MUMBAI AC140

Surely u can go for CP with affidavit of birth - the affidavit should be done by either or both of ur parents or any near relative if parents are not alive. YOU ALSO NEED A CERTIFICATE SAYING NON-AVAILABILITY OF BIRTH RECORDS from the correspondent corporation/municipality/panchayet !!
cheers!!
Ranen

please comment

Can someone with experience comment:
1. How long is it taking for I--824 receipt from the date you apply I -824 and receiving the reciept itself?
2.How long is it taking from the time we send the AC 140 application to the mumbai consulate and the interview date?
Dev

Last edited by a moderator:
AC140 from Mumbai

Hi,

140 approved Dec 1st week, Submitted I824 jan 1st week, With receipt notice applied to mumbai consulate Jan end. Received case # Feb first week. No, Interview date received yet.

My Questions:
1. Is it advisable to call the Embassy for earlier interview date.
2. Obtained PCC from consulate General of india, Houston. Do I need to get another PCC from Subinspector of police in Mumbai. US Mumbai - Embassy website says so. Contacted Sub inspector of police in Mumbai and they said that the whole procedure would take more than 30 days, And I should be present in person over there. Any guidance on it.
3. I have already obtained notarized letter from the Employer. If my interview is in April, would that be still a valid letter or I would need it again.
4. Is I134 document necessary, my lawyer has not yet advised me for it.

Any guru's, who have experience in any of these issues, please let me know, point by point. Appreciate help.

Thanks,
AGW.

AGW,
My take on PCC from local police is required, although some have been asked and others not.
Can you be more specific about how long after you filed your 824 did u get the receipt?
Can have your number since I am also interested in AC 140?
dev

AGW do you know any way I can file I-824
even if I have mentioned CP option while filing the
I-140 ?

IS it possible for me to go for AC140 ?

Once you file for I-824 you should get the receipt in 15 days. It took me 18 day's, We can grant those three days as postal delays.

As for filing I-824 even if CP option is given, Why would one want to mess up the case for the sake of 3 to 4 months. Frankly speaking I don't know whether we can do it. Your Attorney should be the right person.

AGW

what is the impact of filing a I-140 revocation on the the employer INS record, if any at all? Some say it will have negative impact on the employer too? Is it true?

Debating AC140

Hi all,

I am debating whether I shud go for AC140 in mumbai.

1. Am curious about the timeframe it takes for the whole process

2. Does the I140 case have to be a "special case" to take advantage of this? Apparently, only candidates with "hardship" of some sort are accepted?

3. What is the approval/rejection ratio estimate at Mumbai.

4. Is there some way to find out ( by emailing the consulate thru the lawyer) whether the case is acceptable to them before actually sending them the entire AC140 package?

Any input is appreciated

Thanks much!

i140limbo,

1. Time frame : after you file for I824, to do ac140 it takes approx. 4 months for interview date.

2. You don't have GC. That itself is a hardship(I am not making it up, my lawyer told that, I don't think Mumbai consulate rejects AC140 based on this issue)

3. I certainly would like to know the facts of approval/ rejection ratio, and I have posed this question couple of times. But as for what lawyers say, it would be rejected for the same reason that they could reject if you filed for AOS. The risk you are taking with CP is you do not have a right to appeal being in your home country. In AOS you can appeal and await decision and still work for a longer time. And everybody's case is different, and it could be pending because of requisite paperwork and if so, it could be rectified. (This is lawyers language in my words on this subject.). You have to gauge a risk reward ratio. The reward here is you get the whole thing completed in max 6 moths, either one side or the other.

4. I had exactly the same question, and my lawyer advised me that if you are afraid and if you want to play safe then, do AC140 and AOS simultaneously. Also even once you send AC140 packet and it is not accepted for some corrections, Consulate will tell you to rectify the documents and resubmit or would either not give you a case number or an interview date. Under such circumstance you can still file for AOS.

Hope this helps.

AGW
Disclamer: Talk to your lawyer on all these issues.

Interview date

Any body out there is aware of any specific interview documents from an Employer to carry other than the Employment letter from the employer.

Thanks agw.
That certainly helps. My main concern was the "hardship" proof issue.
To your point, of being able to apply for AOS if the consulate rejects the AC140, I fail to understand how I would be able to do that since I will already have filed I-824, right??

i140limbo,
you could continue CP, through regular process, that is wait for the I824 to be approved and NVC to create a case, send pk3 and so on...

Proof of hardship is not that involved, really. You just need to show waiting for I485 would cause undue difficulty (in terms of delay in obtaining permanent residency, job promotion, etc...)

I am sure your lawyer could muster-up a convincing proof.

goodluck,
KYCP

Proving Hardship

Thanks KYCP.

My lawyer is not very convinced about proving the hardship issue with the reasons suggested by AGW and you.

Could people post their "actual reasons" for hardship that they quoted in their cover letters to the Mumbai consulate?

Would really appreciate a quick reply.

Thankyou very much!

i140limbo,

If it makes you feel better, I was quite worried/skeptical, so was my lawyer. Like agw said, I do not believe they will reject it based on lack of proof of hardship alone.

For me,
TSC delays in processing I824 (quite long), potential dealy in promotion due to change in job description , loss of some finger printing at TSC (I believe this since has been corrected/rectified) were cited as the reasons.

Mumbai consulate is quite reasonable, I know of another person who cited (coupe of years ago) just the delay in waiting for I485 (and I824 for regular CP) and got the case accepted.

I do believe these are justified reasons.

Just give it a try, if they accept it fine otherwise they will send the package back, I do not belive you got much to lose,

Good luck,
KYCP

i140limbo,

Myself and KYCP, both of us are saying the same thing. And I am positive from the experience that there should be no hurdles in Mumbai consulate if the case is straightforward. You don't need to tell the consulate anything about the hardsip issue. Your lawyer can submit the documents to consulate with the covering letter that we are submitting and please accept the case. KYCP has provided some valid reasons that could be utilized, if they ask about it.

They have two choices, either to accept it or to reject it. Both ways you would'nt loose anything. If they reject you would have to wait a little longer for case to go through NVC. If they accept, you are through. And as it stands today the chances are 50% in each case, so why not take a chance.

The only issue I see is convincing the lawyer. And I empathize with you. If lawyer is unwilling, there is hardly anything you can do. Without being negative, you can be firm with the lawyer and tell them that it is at your risk, if it is not accepted, that would make the lawyer feel at a little ease in doing AC140. 90% of them do not do AC140 - CP because they have never done it or in many cases they cannot justify the high fees that could be obtained easily by AOS. Also AOS is proven method and lawyers could utilize their expertise, whereas if the case is stuck at consulate, a lawyer in US has very limited options, so I would also not go an extra mile to do all this if I was a lawyer.

Good luck.
AGW

Fees/Hospitals/interviev letter

Hi all,

1. Can we take a cashiers cheque from US in $ rather than making a draft in India.

2. What is the total fees at the consulate for AC140 (no fees paid at NVC) and is the fees mentioned on consulate website for per person or per family.

3.Also which is the good Hospital to use in Mumbai for medical

4. Interview, letter not received. How can we obtain that. Can we obtain a duplicate in India if I am travelling to India before receiving letter.

Appreciate prompt response,
AGW

Agw,
1. I have been trying to findout answer to Q1, so far it looks like it is possible to take the "cashier`s check" in US$ (in fact, I am planning to take it from here)

2. US$ 335 (or Indian Rs Equivalent) / person or AC-140, since you do not pay at NVC.

3. Looks like all three are good, I got mine scheduled at Hinduja (ceebee went fo breach candy, gpiyush went to hinduja during early March 2003, both reported good experiences)

4. Yes, you or your friend/relative can pickup a duplicate copy of the interview letter from the consulate. When is your interview scheduled? mine is on April23rd. (AC-140). They say it takes about 2 -3 weeks to get the interview letter. Since most interviews for april got scheduled by 13th march, we should get the letter by the end of march.

Goodluck,
KYCP

Guys,
I need help regarding ac140. can anybody tell me if i can do ac140. I was woking previously with company A and got cleared my 140 3 years back, but was later laid of thast year & company fired all of the employees that year so i found another employeer & restarted the case again from scratch & just now got labor cleared & I hardly had time left on my h1 6 year expiry ending this year in oct 1st week.TSC is taking lot of time for processing 140
& 485 & also I am in the same position since last 3 year & no promotion no pay raise so my question is can i do an ac140 through my lawyer & what are the docmuments required for it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Please reply.

spb999

spb999

You are a best candidate for AC140. Now the question is home Embassy. If it is other than Mumbai, Calcutta I don't know whether AC140 would be an option for you.

AGW