studying while in I-485 stage

I wantto get go bakc to school and take some classes while in I-485 stage. But I'm confused about what kind of status will I have? Foreign student(F1) or just U.s Resident ( even though I am on adjustment of status). If they as me, what do I tell them? Because it makes a big difference in tutions, fees etc.

Does anyone have any experience like that?

BY the way, my stats are:
RD Aug 01
ND Sept 01
FP Jan 03
no RFE, nothin yet... called 800 number , and inquired thru senator's office... NOTHING ATALL!!!!!!!

hmcis,

F1 is a non-immigrant visa and is issued only to people who do not intent to reside permanently. H is a dual inent visa. It is for non-immigrants as well as for immigrants. By filing I-140 and I-485, you have shown intent to reside permanently, hence you can not get F visa. It is possible to switch from H to F if you had not filed for I-140 and I-485. I have already checked this.

VERY IMPORTANT- I-485 is employment based. You NEED to have a job with same or similar job description as the one in your LC. If not, your I-485 and hence stay in this country is questionable. No job, no GC.

University will ask you your status but will not give you F visa. However, if you ask them to be admitted on a full time basis then it may happen that they may ask about your employment. The university may not inform USCIS but here you can not take chances. You can ask them to be admitted on a part time evening classes. Many universities do have such classes. USCIS may not know that you are not working. However, if they send RFE then you need to show a job as mentioned above.

Some Universities need GC to get in state tuition fees ( reduced fees) while some ask for state tax returns for last two years. They need to know if you were a resident of that state in the past to get the in-state tuition.

Please do let me know if you need more information. If you like my answer then you can donate $1 (just a dollar, nothing more) to ImmigrationPortal.com. Together we can make a big difference.

Thanks.

Man !!!

Your Case seems like a complicated one. Who is your attorney?
I would like to hire him if any problems.

EB3 India ( TSC ).
I485 -RD :- May 21 2002
FP :- May 13 2003

Still waiting ....

sorry I didn't explain it riht I guess. I AM employed , I just wantto take some evening classes, nothing more than that.

So, for me to be still employed on I-485 status, how can I get admitted in an US university, what will be my status, that's all I wante dt o know.

Any suggestions?

hmcis said:
sorry I didn't explain it riht I guess. I AM employed , I just wantto take some evening classes, nothing more than that.

So, for me to be still employed on I-485 status, how can I get admitted in an US university, what will be my status, that's all I wante dt o know.

Any suggestions?
You can join, There are many people who are doing Evening cources. I think your I-485 Receipt notice and EAD can suffice. Even H1 guys can go to Evening classes. H4 people can attend the regular classes

You tell them that you are here on a Visa. If you have filed income taxes at least once, you will pay normal tuition and not as an international one.

You will need a copy of your EAD or H or whatever visa you have as well as a copy of your last income tax.

tution

On H visa or AOS (I-485), you should be able to claim for in-state tution. Most of the states have strict requirements for this. In North Carolina, you must be a resident for two years to become eligible for in-state tution.

In our case, my wife started studying here after marriage (she was on AOS-I485). Although she was not a resident for two years she was able to get in-state tution because NC allows you to use spouse residency (I have been living here for few years). Find out the exact rules for your state/university.

pa55

On AOS you can go to school on instate tution basis if you are fulfilling state resident criteria. Your status would be adjustee (waiting for adjudication) which is same as resident for universities but if you apply for stafford loan then they will ask you for green card and they will check your status with INS if you claim as a resident.

Raju

hmcis
If you are in Texas and if you are either on H1B, dependent of H1, or awaiting Adjustment of status, and have lived in texas for the past one year you are eligible for in-state tution. You will have to meet with the admission councilor in person and explain the situation. This is true of most state schools. Sorry I have no idea about other states...but I assume it is the same.
If you are going to a private university they have their own policies...and what I said does not apply.

Your status is AOS. I got university admission when I was still waiting for I-485 approval. I put "Adjustment of Status for Residency". When they questioned me, I sent them a copy of I-485 receipt notice. And, it was OK.