stuck in vancouver- H1 visa

Hi..

I had my H1B visa interview on 18th July 2007 in Vancouver. I am an F1 converting to H1B. My PhD/MS is in Chemical Engineering. After the interview I was given a white sheet with title "Further Processing Required". Then the VO asked me to fill up an information sheet with questions related to my education background and work experience. This I submitted at a separate window, where they told me that this is a regular check that they have to perform. They kept my passport and other documents - I797 original, letter from employer. They said they will email me in 3-weeks or so. This is very frustrating. Anybody in similar situation please reply. I am a bit shocked and confused as to what to do. I would appreciate anyone telling his/her experience.

Does anyone has any idea how long it takes.

Thanks..

BTW -
1. I donot have have a common name and I am from India.
2. The white sheet does not say 221(g) or any case #. In the main text it does not say it is pertaining to TAL however, there is a small footnote refering to the document as TAL.page1.doc
3. I asked them if I could leave the Canada and go to my home country and they said it will be easier to get the visa from here.
Hi
Recently my friend has been in the similar situation but she is a Canadian PR and had been in US on valid F1 visa and H1 visa and since her H1 was expiring she moved to canada got her PR in canada.She applied for visitor visa to US but was asked to email them CV publications,job description and decription abt area of stuy and research.Plesae email us back what was your timeline getting the visa

I was in Canada Last year in Oct in Calgary for my first H1 visa from F1. They gave me white paper saying it takes 3-4 weeks for background check, but after 10days I got call from US consulate and I got my visa. Be patient, I know how tough will be the situation but we can't do anything. It takes time but you will get visa just you need to wait. I know how much it is painful as I am already gone through that process. I came back to US after 21 days.

Hi,

I recently had an interview at Vancouver for h1b stamping this was my first time after completing my F1 i am working full time in a good compnay they told me come and collect my visa but later i was informed that they have to do a name clearance check and will take 4 weeks or longer and now i am left stranded in Canada it been more than a week left wondering what i can do....i took back my passport but they have my I797 they would email me whenever they get the clearance......This is frustating. Can any one tell whats the best solution i think its to wait here rather than go back to ur home country :confused:

If you want, you can go back and wait in your home country. However, you will need to get back to Canada to get your visa once is ready to be issued.

Can any one tell whats the best solution i think its to wait here rather than go back to ur home country