• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

steps to take after winning

maruxa

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody:
Yesterday I received a phone call from USAFIS telling me that I had won the green card lottery. I guess they received my letter because I haven't got anything at home yet. Since I didn't get the letter I am not sure about the next steps to take. They sent me a link with two docs (ds-230) that I have to fill in and send to KY. Then I just have to wait for an interview... Is it that simple? What about those birth certificates, medical certificates, translations, etc. that u talk about in this forum?
What do I have to send to KY? Does it have to be signed by a consular officer as well (I think it says you cannot sign it otherwise)
Thank you very much for any assisstance that you can give me. I am really lost.

First, you need to know your case number before sending anyting to KCC

Then you need to fill DS-230 and DS-122 (if you have family members, an additional DS-230 for each).

The other documents are needed at the interview, there is nothing that need to be signed by a consular officer.

Hello Tazmania:
Thank you very much for your help. Your message has been really useful.
However, I still have a doubt about de DS-230: on page four there is a line saying "do not write below the following line. The consular officer will assist you in answering item 45. Do not sign this form until instructed to do so by the consular officer". Therefore, should I send it to KCC without filling that part? Don't I need to go to the embassy? Is it going to be filled during my interview or when?
Thanks again

Yes, this part will be filled at the time you have your interview - do not write anything below the line.

error in name

Hi everyone,

I wander if anyone had or have error in the name in your case number. My mom made mistake during online entry for DV 2010 lottery-she found that there is mistake in one letter in her first name. She knew about this errow when she got her notification letter. I called to Kentucky Consulor Center and I was told that there is no way to reenter the correct name in my mom's case. I was adviced to call to US consulate in Russia, but I realize that I may not get the answer unless my mom shows up in interview. I don't know if her case is lost or not. Should I move or not? Your response will be very appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

hey maruxa...

Hello everybody:
Yesterday I received a phone call from USAFIS telling me that I had won the green card lottery. I guess they received my letter because I haven't got anything at home yet. Since I didn't get the letter I am not sure about the next steps to take. They sent me a link with two docs (ds-230) that I have to fill in and send to KY. Then I just have to wait for an interview... Is it that simple? What about those birth certificates, medical certificates, translations, etc. that u talk about in this forum?
What do I have to send to KY? Does it have to be signed by a consular officer as well (I think it says you cannot sign it otherwise)
Thank you very much for any assisstance that you can give me. I am really lost.

I a in the same case with usafis. They called me on the 4 th of june to tell me that my husband won the dv 2010 and then they sent us the link by e-mail. We are the 20 th today and still no NL by mail. My question is are you planning to send all of the documents in a regular envelopp or are you going to wait and receive the Winnin notification by mail?

Of cours i called KCC checked my number(with first name, last name and date of birth...) and they told me that i can send the documents right away.
Did you contact KCC too? DId they tell you the same thing?

Please keep me informed...

Hey bonno!
Well, I have been reading this and other forums and trying to make the best decision about what to do next.
First, I called KCC to find out if I was a victim of a scam and I got confirmation that I won :).
I have printed and filled in the online forms and I was going to send them in a regular envelope. However, I asked for assisstance in different forums and people told me I needed the bar code that appears in the confirmation letter (is it true, by the way??). So I have decided to wait a little bit more (maybe until first week of July), otherwise I will send the forms we got online.
I am still worried about the other stuff we need to send, like pictures (how many, which size??). I would really need the instructions given in the NL.
What about you (and any other people in the same situation -USAFIS-)?
Any news??

I thought they only send out letters and no calls....

Hi!
The government just sends out letters to the winners, no calls. However, in my particular case I applied for the GC lottery not directly in the official website, but through a company and they got my notification letter and called me (and now i need them to send me the letter!!:mad:)

Hey bonno!
Well, I have been reading this and other forums and trying to make the best decision about what to do next.
First, I called KCC to find out if I was a victim of a scam and I got confirmation that I won :).
I have printed and filled in the online forms and I was going to send them in a regular envelope. However, I asked for assisstance in different forums and people told me I needed the bar code that appears in the confirmation letter (is it true, by the way??). So I have decided to wait a little bit more (maybe until first week of July), otherwise I will send the forms we got online.
I am still worried about the other stuff we need to send, like pictures (how many, which size??). I would really need the instructions given in the NL.
What about you (and any other people in the same situation -USAFIS-)?
Any news??

The NL is stating that without the barcode you can't do anything, so you need the official NL leeter...sorry, I hope you aren't the victim of a scam...

I have never heard of them calling anyone that they won the lottery since the bar code is highly needed when sending the forms back. Ask them to send the winning letter to your email box since you haven't gotten yours yet.

My friend has to resend form I-122 and has kept a copy of her barcode paper and will include that in this enveloppe together with other proof.....Maybe you can try to submit without it and go from there...do you have at least a case#?

The NL is stating that without the barcode you can't do anything, so you need the official NL leeter...sorry, I hope you aren't the victim of a scam...

Bentlebee this is not true. Do not make statements like this based on what you have heard or your assumptions. People are uncertain as is and are not helped by assumptions or false information.

In the notification package there is a sheet with a bar code but it is NOT required. The KCC uses this internally and it is not mandatory to send back.
It is better if you can, for instance if you are applied directly through USCIS, but companies such as USAFIS like to take advantage of people by creating confusion so they can take persuade them to sign up for their services. :mad::mad:

I would be very careful dealing with companies such as USAFIS and would verify any claims they make as their only goal is to make money by creating doubt and have people sign up for expensive legal guidance that the majority of these people do not need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!
Thank you very much for all your answers. I have done some "reseach" in this and other forums and I think I am going to send the docs and the picture as soon as possible to KCC, instead of waiting for the NL because apparently USAFIS takes a lot of time to send it and that bar code is not so important (or I hope so).
Questionz, thank u very much for ur advice. I agree with your comment about companies such as USAFIS and for sure I won't recommend it to anyone.

Should be no problem. Before sending, verify your CN with KCC by calling them. You need to give them your case number, name and date of birth.
After that just send them DS230, DSP122 and a passport photo (write your CN and name on the back of the photo and attach with a paperclip to DS230).
Good luck! :)