SSN, what is it good for :)..

canuck2002

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Just got in the US two days ago on a TN. I am told it takes 10-15 days for the Social Security Services to get the immigration info from CBP, so they would not allow me to apply for a SSN.

Which of the following can I begin doing while I wait for being able to apply for a SSN?

- Register my vehicle with California? Take my car down to the DMV
- Get a drivers licence?
- Open a bank acount, and apply for credit card?
- Start work?

Thanks!.

Just got in the US two days ago on a TN. I am told it takes 10-15 days for the Social Security Services to get the immigration info from CBP, so they would not allow me to apply for a SSN.

Which of the following can I begin doing while I wait for being able to apply for a SSN?

- Register my vehicle with California? Take my car down to the DMV

YES

- Get a drivers licence?
NO

- Open a bank acount, and apply for credit card?
NO - or else ask them to open it now and tell them that you would provide the bank your SSN within a month.

- Start work?
Technically, YES. Tell them the same thing about the SSN as you would to the bank. But some employers are fussy about having the SSN on your fisrt day on the job.
Thanks!.[/QUOTE]

Call the DMV and make an appointment. You won't have to wait as long. Where are you in the Bay Area? The City? East Bay? North Bay? Peninsula? San Jose?

Get ready to be verbally abused. And expect to make multiple trips. You will see very quickly why there are so many unlicensed and uninsured drivers in California.

I'ld also suggest you get a California Driver's license. You will have to take a test for this. Once you get a license and SSN the whole world will start to open up for you. You will quickly learn here that nobody cares about immigration issues pertaining to you because it's all at a federal level - which again nobody cares about in California - especially the Bay area. The Driver's license and the SSN - that's all anyone cares about - don't bother lecturing them about how you have a passport or Canadian Driver's License blah, blah blah......Nobody cares - you're an American now and as soon as you figure that out you'll be able to go with the flow. Other than Vancouver, nobody knows anything about Canada here.

Good luck. If you have any questions let me know as I used to live in the Bay area.

Hi

Quick question. For the driving license, should I can exchange alberta one with california one? As far as I know, I need to take tests. Then written test and road test? Or only written test.

Thank you very much for your time.

I can't remember. I think it was both written and road. I don't think you need an appointment for those. Call ahead and check. If you haven't done this before get ready for the run around. I cringe every time I go in. Remember, you are coming to the car capital of the world. And yes, exchange the AB license for CA - You may not realize now, but that card will be like gold in your hand.

Thanks for the valuable tips simsd, I am in Mountain View. You are right, without the California DL it is not easy. I used the Santa Clara DMV which was Ok in the morning and crowded in the afternoon.

I got all the DMV work done today for my car plates. I deliberately stopped just short of getting the California Plates even though I had everything done. The reason being, that I did not want to have California plates without a California drivers license. Even if I get pulled over by the CHP at least I have documentation to show I am in the process of getting the plates :)..that and I save on car insurance. 20-30 days from now, I am going to visit DMV again to take the DL test and get the plates in the same day.

ualberta, you have to take both written and roat test. I have been told not to underestimate either and study for both. Like simsd said, the DMV is so packed its best to make an apointment.

thank you for your quick responses. :)

One more thing, without SSN I can't apply for the DL. how long should I wait to get SSN?

Thank you

ualberta, when I went to the Social Security Services Office in Mountain View, they said that it takes 10 days for the immigration data to come down to Social Security. So wait at least 10 days from the day you entered the U.S. then show up in the Social Security Services. I am waiting for the same thing. They also said that it is really really packed in the morning, and people show up 1 hour earlier than starting time and get in line.

I went in the afternoon around 4pm and it was really good.

I don't believe you need a SSN. You need to show legal presence in the US. Your passport with your TN should suffice (that's what we did for our son last summer). Don't be surprised if it gets passed around a bit until they figure out what it is (the I-94).

Second, upon establishing a residence or accepting work in California, you have 20 days to transfer your car. If not you will get nailed. I got nailed with over $ 300 in late registration fees. Don't fool around with this stuff or you will get nailed. How do they know when you got here? You'll have to show a lease or utility bill for proof of residency. They will hit you hard.

Just register and be done with it. It's expensive to live here and do things legally, but welcome to California. I think I'll go in the spa now :)

Check out this link.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm#feesdue

ualberta,

u need your SSN to get a DL in California. Other thing is that California does not allow you to exchange licences from Canada. They will not take your Albeta DL away. You will have to appear for the road test as well as the written test to get the California DL.