SSN for children

moroni

Registered Users (C)
First of all,

I want to apologize for posting this Thread here.

My family (myself, spouse and 3 children) is already on AOS.
My wife and I have valid EADs ans SSN.

I wonder how can I get SSN for my children?

Do I have to file I-765 for them?
I thought I-765 is only to permission to work in USA and my children are minors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

moroni said:
First of all,

I want to apologize for posting this Thread here.

My family (myself, spouse and 3 children) is already on AOS.
My wife and I have valid EADs ans SSN.

I wonder how can I get SSN for my children?

Do I have to file I-765 for them?
I thought I-765 is only to permission to work in USA and my children are minors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Welcome to the confusion!!!

The only way you can get SSN for your children is to first get the EADs for them. Otherwise, they will issue you a letter saying the children are "not eligible for SSN" In most cases (like school admission ) this letter works in lieu of the SSN. However, if you want to claim the child tax credit on your income tax returns, you should apply for ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) for them with the IRS.

All the best.

Intezar

Well , I knew a case where a friend of mine Got EAD for his minor children (though the EAD is not used)
HTH

GCN

GC_Niravana said:
Well , I knew a case where a friend of mine Got EAD for his minor children (though the EAD is not used)
HTH

GCN

I am sorry for not being clear in my earlier post. There is no confusion with respect to whether or not you can get EAD for minor children. It is done routinely specially while filing the 485 package that includes applications for AOS, Advance Parole and EAD. What is confusing and baffling is the requirement that children need to have "eligible to work" status before you can apply for the SSN for them in this land of human rights where child labor is banned (and rightly so).

I hope there is no confusion now :)

does SSN needed

Intezar05 said:
Welcome to the confusion!!!

The only way you can get SSN for your children is to first get the EADs for them. Otherwise, they will issue you a letter saying the children are "not eligible for SSN" In most cases (like school admission ) this letter works in lieu of the SSN. However, if you want to claim the child tax credit on your income tax returns, you should apply for ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) for them with the IRS.

All the best.

Intezar

Does SSN is needed for admission to school? My son who is 4 yrs old now and planning to put him in regular school next year. I have approved I-140 and soon be filing 485. Do I need to apply an EAD for him also and get an SSN? Is it mandatory for school admission? I am confused in this thread. Please suggest.

Thanks

nathanss,

Don't be, confused that is. :)

SSN is not mandatory for school admissions, at least in Florida. But they do ask for it since pretty much every child born in the US has one. When I went for my daughter's admission in kindergarten, they accepted the letter I had mentioned in my first post on this thread, in lieu of SSN. We also submitted a copy of her passport and the relevant USCIS document (the I-589 approval notice at the time).

Check with on the website of your county's school board or call them and ask. It should not be a problem. Again, in my exprerience, SSNs for children are not mandatory but they ask for them anyway. You can always say the child does not have one.

I hope I have answered your question

All the best.
Intezar

Ssn Itin

For the seven years that it took from our first H1 (my wife's) to our recent approval we always used ITIN, which we requested for spouse and daughter the first month we were in the US.
For our daughter's school I just used her ITIN in lieu of SS and it was never questioned, I also used it to open her bank savings account with no problems.
Changing her number from ITIN to SS now has been also problemless.
I would just use the ITIN as SS for anything that requires a SS number, both are formatted the same way with nine digits.
I actually started my credit history with my ITIN and then when I received my EAD and subsequent SS # it was also easy to show the reason for the change and easily accepted by the reporting companies.