SSN after 485

luckstar

Registered Users (C)
Dear friends,
Someone mentioned on this board that people need to apply for a new SSN after 485 got approved since SSN after green card is different from the one before green card. Is this true?
If it is, Is 485 approve notice sufficient for this process? I am just thinking it will take huge effort to update all your personal information such as banks, credit card,etc, if you have to change SSN.
thanks for tips

luckstar said:
Someone mentioned on this board that people need to apply for a new SSN after 485 got approved since SSN after green card is different from the one before green card. Is this true?

No, it is not true. However, if you want a SS card that doesn't have the INS qualifications printed on it (Valid for Work Only With INS Authorization) then you can show them your 551 stamp or your GC and the will issue you a new card. The number itself will not change.

not a new one!

You dont get a new SSN...

I hope I got this right...but this is my understanding...

if u got ur SSN on a H1, ur SSN card has a one liner below the ssn that indicates that its not a basis to provide for employment...after GC, u can update that doc to have that line removed...

Be warned - this is my understanding - and I could be wrong

perhaps there is a 1800# for SSN questions???

Wik drkamath both are correct in their observations. YOu have to first get the I-551 stamp in your passport and then go to your SS office with your SS card and apply citing the GC (your new status as permanent resident as against a H1 visa holder). They should process and send your card in a couple of weeks.

Like Wik said they INS authorization wording (Valid for Work Only With INS Authorization) would be removed so that you will be deemed for all practical purposes a GC holder. ( you don't want some one to check your SSN and realize that it still has the wording "Valid for Work Only With INS Authorization" and hence give you grief.

So get your passport stamped and go to the SS office and apply, you do not have to go through the pain (as you mentioned) of changing the SSN across the board. Once a SSN is given I think it is pretty much with you till the end.

Hope this helps in clearing the air.

My SSN

My original SSN card was obtained when I was an F1 student -- so my work authorisation qualification says "Not Valid for Employment." Now admittedly that does tend to unnerve people when you show it to them, but it's never seemed to matter much other than that, so I've been wondering whether to change my SSN. Is there something I'm missing,

becky

becky said:
My original SSN card was obtained when I was an F1 student -- so my work authorisation qualification says "Not Valid for Employment." Now admittedly that does tend to unnerve people when you show it to them, but it's never seemed to matter much other than that, so I've been wondering whether to change my SSN. Is there something I'm missing,

becky
Becky:

Its more a question of getting things in order. You will just get a new SSN card (with the same SSN) - with just the blurb about employment removed.

I agree that it does not matter much now - but who the heck knows what'll happen few years from now -- maybe there is some stupid law hidden somewhere that tells that its your responsibility to get a new SSN card after GC ?!?!
Remember - filing AR11 was the law for a long long time - but we all started hearing about it only after 9/11 !

I would say when you get some free time, go and get this done - atleast it will be some sort of closure to the GC journey :)

SSN LIFETIME ID

Your SSN is your lifetime ID. They do not change nor give you a different #.
Changing of SSN is ONLY done IF & WHEN there is a dire need for them to do it. Otherwise, your stuck with it your whole life!

All they will do when you apply for a "new" card is take out the wordings that no longer exist, as in your case, a PR. And mail you the "new" card.

SPAM: Friendly Advice

Please do NOT carry around your Social Security card with you unless necessary. Please tuck it away safely in your home or wherever when not required.

Between the SSN and the Date of Birth on the driver license there is sufficient information for an identity thief to cause havoc should you lose your wallet

Updating SSN

I've gotten the form, SS-5, and found my local office. The form doesn't make it completely clear whether you can apply for a revised SSN with the stamp. Can you, or do you have to wait for the actual plastic.

thanks,

becky

becky said:
I've gotten the form, SS-5, and found my local office. The form doesn't make it completely clear whether you can apply for a revised SSN with the stamp. Can you, or do you have to wait for the actual plastic.

No, you don't need to wait for plastic card. You can show them your stamp on passport. There is no "revised" application for removing USCIS restriction from card. You need to fill up the very same form that you filled up first time when you applied for SSN. You will get a new card with same SSN.