SS Card

sweet15

Registered Users (C)
When I got my SS Card with my work permit it had restrictions written on it (VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION). Now that I have my green card can I apply for a replacement card which will take the restrictions off of the SS Card?

Yes. You can also wait until you naturalise. A GC is proof of work authorisation :)

When I got my SS Card with my work permit it had restrictions written on it (VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION). Now that I have my green card can I apply for a replacement card which will take the restrictions off of the SS Card?

Don't wait till naturalization. If you have an SS card without the restrictive wording, you can show that plus a driver's license or state ID for employment, without having to show the GC. So that unrestricted SS card could be very useful if your GC is ever lost or stolen.

In addition, notifying the SSA of your permanent resident status would reduce the chance of running into problems with e-Verify.

There is no fee to get the card changed; the cost is only the time and transportation to the SS office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't wait till naturalization. If you have an SS card without the restrictive wording, you can show that plus a driver's license or state ID for employment, without having to show the GC. So that unrestricted SS card could be very useful if your GC is ever lost or stolen.

In addition, notifying the SSA of your permanent resident status would reduce the chance of running into problems with e-Verify.

There is no fee to get the card changed; the cost is only the time and transportation to the SS office.

Thanks, what you said makes a lot of sense. I will go ahead and have a replacement card. Having come all this way I don't need anymore problems in the near future.

@sweet15
Jackolantern is right. I have also been advised to get it changed from the SSA. I received my GC today, and I'll head to the SS office Monday or Tuesday to notify them of the change. Better get it done, I think, than to wait.
I think (not sure) they will issue a new SS card without the restriction written on it. The number remains the same.

@sweet15
Jackolantern is right. I have also been advised to get it changed from the SSA. I received my GC today, and I'll head to the SS office Monday or Tuesday to notify them of the change.
What is the "resident since" date on your green card? You should wait at least 2 weeks after that date before visiting the SS office ... if you visit the SS office too soon, they may be unable to verify your LPR status, which could cause a long delay for your card to be issued, or require you to visit the SS office again.

I think (not sure) they will issue a new SS card without the restriction written on it. The number remains the same.
Number remains the same, new card without the restriction will be mailed to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the "resident since" date on your green card? You should wait at least 2 weeks after that date before visiting the SS office ... if you visit the SS office too soon, they may be unable to verify your LPR status, which could cause a long delay for your card to be issued, or require you to visit the SS office again.

Thanks Jackolantern. I'll remember that. My "resident since" date is 19th April. I'll wait until next week to go then. Cheers.