Spousal visa & expiry question

Stutterbug

I am a Canadian citizen living in Japan with my Japanese wife. We married in Japan about a year and a half ago and, at the moment, we have no plans to leave (I love it here). Eventually, though, we may want to try living in Canada -- my wife adores Canada and wants to settle there eventually. My question is this: assuming we get a visa for my wife here in Japan, how long can you wait before it expires. My first Japanese visa (a three-year work visa) would have expired if I did not use it within three months of it being issued. Is there any similar rule about that in Canada?

HI

Stutterbug said:
I am a Canadian citizen living in Japan with my Japanese wife. We married in Japan about a year and a half ago and, at the moment, we have no plans to leave (I love it here). Eventually, though, we may want to try living in Canada -- my wife adores Canada and wants to settle there eventually. My question is this: assuming we get a visa for my wife here in Japan, how long can you wait before it expires. My first Japanese visa (a three-year work visa) would have expired if I did not use it within three months of it being issued. Is there any similar rule about that in Canada?

Once a PR visa is issued it is valid for 1 year from the date of the medical or the expiry of the passport, whichever comes first.

PMM

PMM said:
Once a PR visa is issued it is valid for 1 year from the date of the medical or the expiry of the passport, whichever comes first.
Sorry... Just for clarity. Once a PR visa is issued, it is valid:
1) for one year from the date of the medical; or
2) until the passport expires (if this happens first).
That's right?