Sponsoring parents: which is faster option?

ludhianvi

Registered Users (C)
Hello All:

I am still not a USC (applied in Jan 2013, so still some time), but just getting ready for next step.

I want to sponsor my parents for GC (Indian citizen) after I receive my citizenship. Couple of quick questions:

1. How soon after I receive my citizenship can I sponsor them? Is it the day of oath or day I get my passport?

2. Which is faster option: sponsoring when they are already in US (on tourist visa) or when they are in India? How much time it takes under both the scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

Hello All:

I am still not a USC (applied in Jan 2013, so still some time), but just getting ready for next step.

I want to sponsor my parents for GC (Indian citizen) after I receive my citizenship. Couple of quick questions:

1. How soon after I receive my citizenship can I sponsor them? Is it the day of oath or day I get my passport? The day you have "Naturalization Certificate" in hand, but better apply for an expedited passport and then start your endeavor.

2. Which is faster option: sponsoring when they are already in US (on tourist visa) or when they are in India? How much time it takes under both the scenarios? Sponsoring when they are in US might be a little faster since US Consulates in India have backlogs and then you also have to factor in the appointment delays. But calling your parents to USA on tourist visa with an intent to immigrate might be considered an offence, so better stick with earlier plan to ask them to apply in US Consulate in India. 6-8 months of processing is what most people I know had been experiencing.
Major issue is getting an insurance company to insure them at this age. That should be explored before beginning unless you are so rich that you can afford premiums of $12-24K/yr per person.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consular processing with parents in India will be the option.Make sure they have birth certificate and other proofs for financial support also handy.

Thanks mogambo and nancy for the replies.

I need to convince my parents to move here first before I file the paperwork. So, they are not coming here with the intent to immigrate, I am just gathering all the information, and keeping all doors open.