sponsoring my wife/kid from outside Canada

ozzybigfan

I landed in Canada as permanent resident in October 2002 but within a month I came back to Pakistan to continue my job. In February 2003 I got married and now I have a three month old kid also.

I really want to move and settle in Canada with my family. I can be outside of Canada for 3 years(per 5 years).

My enquiry is that I want to sponsor my wife for Canadian Permanent residency so that we can move together.

I dont think I can apply for my wife's PR from within Pakistan but if I go to Canada for few days/month & from there apply for my wife and come back Pakistan again, would that work ??? Does Canadian immigration require me to be staying in Canada for this since I am not citizen. If yes, how soon can I sponsor my wife after reaching there? I also dont have an idea about tax paying since I am not there but do have my address and bank account in canada.

Is there any good lawyer who can file my case.

Thanks,
OzzyBigFan

You have to file your application from within Canada. It takes one month on average for Mississauga centre to asses your eligibility as a sponsor. Usually it also takes some time to gather all necessary documents ( certificates etc. ).

On one of the immigration forms there's a question about current employment. If you are not employed in Canada but do not receive any social assistance you should be able to sponsor your wife. Since you have a child you will have to provide a letter from employer ( income doesn't matter when sponsoring immediate family members ).

As mentioned, you work abroad and the company is not Canadian so it makes thing rather complicated - if you were a Canadian citizen there wouldn't be any problem with that. But when you just got you PR status, stay & work abroad it may be not possible ( plus if you stay outside Canada for an extended period of time it's possible even to lose residency status ).

OzzyBigFan,
You can apply for PR again from Pakistan under skilled worker. Since you qualified for immigration in 2000, you should qualify now as well. You can add your wife and child too. If you do not get the result in time you can go back to Canada by Oct 2005 and do family immigration.
Something to consider if you had the money.

How about applying for visitor visa for your spouse and then once they are in Canada apply for their immigration? I am not sure how easy it is to get visitor visa if u tell the consulate that you plan to apply for their PR once they are in Canada. Maybe someone can help you with that.