Sponsoring a minor sibling

zamindar

Registered Users (C)
If I become a US citizen I can sponsor my parents and siblings for PR as well. One of my sisters is still a minor, is that going to impact her processing time?

Zamindar,
I believe siblings of US citizens fall under category 4 which is severely backlogged and numerically limited. Someone told me it is 12-15 years backlogged now. The good news is, your parents will be "immediate relatives" and thus no numerical limitation. The only time they will face will be the processing time.

zamindar said:
If I become a US citizen I can sponsor my parents and siblings for PR as well. One of my sisters is still a minor, is that going to impact her processing time?

Yup, brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens are cat 4, with a current priority dates ranging from June 1, 1984 (for the Philippines) to December 1, 1995 (for those from countries other than Mexico, India and mainland China)

Cheers!
Legal

When you sponsor your parents, your minor sibling will be your parents dependents, and her application can be processed along with your parents. Assuming she stays a minor and unmarried when their 485 is adjusted.

Hi,
Sorry to say, but that is incorrect.
The parents can be sponsored by the USC. Once they get their I-130 based green cards and move to the US, then either of the parents needs to sponsor the minor kid under category 2A.

In Canada if one sponsors their parents, minor siblings come as dependents of the parents at the same time. The same is not true of the US.

harvydonald said:
When you sponsor your parents, your minor sibling will be your parents dependents, and her application can be processed along with your parents. Assuming she stays a minor and unmarried when their 485 is adjusted.