Son PIO Card holder US citizen in India, > 180 days, register?

vnmohan

Hello,

I and my wife are both Indian citizens currently in the USA and hold valid greencards. Our son was born in the USA and holds a US passport. He has a valid PIO card. He traveled to India with us on November 29, 2006 and stayed back with his grandparents even as my wife and I returned in Jan 2007. He has tickets to come back to the USA on June 22, 2007 along with his grandparents. I was told initially that he does not need to register even though he stays over 180 days since he is under 12 years. Now, I am not so sure. I hear that he needs to register with the local Foreigner Registration Office. Is this true? What exactly does he need to apply for? I am worried since he has only 10 more days to go to catch the flight. Has anybody been in a similar situation? Can you please please respond? He is in Hyderabad, India currently.

I do very much appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Mohan

Hello,

I and my wife are both Indian citizens currently in the USA and hold valid greencards. Our son was born in the USA and holds a US passport. He has a valid PIO card. He traveled to India with us on November 29, 2006 and stayed back with his grandparents even as my wife and I returned in Jan 2007. He has tickets to come back to the USA on June 22, 2007 along with his grandparents.
I was told initially that he does not need to register even though he stays over 180 days since he is under 12 years.
---------------------------he does not need to register
Now, I am not so sure. I hear that he needs to register with the local Foreigner Registration Office. Is this true?
-------------------------not true
What exactly does he need to apply for? I am worried since he has only 10 more days to go to catch the flight. Has anybody been in a similar situation? Can you please please respond? He is in Hyderabad, India currently.

I do very much appreciate your help.
-----------------------he does not need to register even if stays more than 180 days or year
Thank you,
Mohan

---------------------

Hi vnmohan & Ginnu:

My daughter US citizen is returning from india after 1 1/2 years. She is having valid PIO card and we did register with the local Foreigner Registration Office (SP Office). She is going to return to USA in a week.

Could you suggest any documentation required in India for her from Foreigner Registration Office ?

Thanks

If your son stays more than 180 days, registration IS required.

5. PIO (Persons of Indian Origin) Card holders: Following the introduction of the PIO Card scheme, PIO card holders are eligible for visa free entry into India for a period of the validity of the card i.e. 15 years, and they are NOT required to register themselves with the concerned FRO/FRRO if their continuous stay does not exceed 180 days. If the continuous stay exceed 180 days, the foreigner should approach the concerned FRO/FRRO for registration within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days, who will in turn register them.

6. Children below 16 years: As per para 2 of Registration of Foreigners (Exemption) Order, 1957, children below the age of 16 years are exempt from the requirement of registration.

if you need more info contact them:
Foreigners Regional Registration Office, Mumbai
FRRO :
Rajvardhan

Telephone No. :
022-22621169 (O)
022-22620721 (Fax)

E-Mail Address :

frromum@nic.in
dcpsb2.frro@indiatimes.com

Foriegners registration
Office Address :
3rd Floor, Special Branch Bldg.,
Badruddin Tayabji Lane,
Behind St. Xaviers College,
Mumbai-400001.

Contact Person(Airport):

AFRRO (Departure/Arrival)
Tel.: 022-26828098
----------
Foreigner Regional Registration Officer, Chennai

FRRO :

Avi Prakash

Telephone No. :

044-23454970(O)
044-23454971(FAX)

E-mail ID : chiochn@nic.in
Foreigners Registration
Office Address :
Shastri Bhawan,
26, Haddows Road,
Chennai-600006.

Contact Person :
(Airport)
SIO (Departure/Arrival)
Tel. : 044-23454977

-----------
Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Delhi

F.R.R.O :

Rajesh Khurana

Telephone No. :
011-26711348 (TELE FAX)
011-26711384 (O)

E-Mail Address :
boihq@mha.nic.in
frrodelhi@hotmail.com
frrodli@nic.in

Office Address :
East Block-VIII, Level-II,
Sector-1, R.K. Puram,
New Delhi-110066

Contact Person at Airport

AFRRO (Departure)

Tel. No. 011-25652389

Contact Person at
Foreigners Registration
Office ,Address & Tel.
Mrs. Vineeta
Tel. No. 011-26711443
011-26195530,Extn. 142/302/141
011-26192634 Extn. 142/302/141
Sector-1, R.K. Puram,
New Delhi-110 066

Last edited by a moderator:
5. PIO (Persons of Indian Origin) Card holders: Following the introduction of the PIO Card scheme, PIO card holders are eligible for visa free entry into India for a period of the validity of the card i.e. 15 years, and they are NOT required to register themselves with the concerned FRO/FRRO if their continuous stay does not exceed 180 days. If the continuous stay exceed 180 days, the foreigner should approach the concerned FRO/FRRO for registration within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days, who will in turn register them.

6. Children below 16 years: As per para 2 of Registration of Foreigners (Exemption) Order, 1957, children below the age of 16 years are exempt from the requirement of registration.

if you need more info contact them:
Foreigners Regional Registration Office, Mumbai
FRRO :
Rajvardhan

Telephone No. :
022-22621169 (O)
022-22620721 (Fax)

E-Mail Address :

frromum@nic.in
dcpsb2.frro@indiatimes.com

Foriegners registration
Office Address :
3rd Floor, Special Branch Bldg.,
Badruddin Tayabji Lane,
Behind St. Xaviers College,
Mumbai-400001.

Contact Person(Airport):

AFRRO (Departure/Arrival)
Tel.: 022-26828098
----------
Foreigner Regional Registration Officer, Chennai

FRRO :

Avi Prakash

Telephone No. :

044-23454970(O)
044-23454971(FAX)

E-mail ID : chiochn@nic.in
Foreigners Registration
Office Address :
Shastri Bhawan,
26, Haddows Road,
Chennai-600006.

Contact Person :
(Airport)
SIO (Departure/Arrival)
Tel. : 044-23454977

-----------
Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Delhi

F.R.R.O :

Rajesh Khurana

Telephone No. :
011-26711348 (TELE FAX)
011-26711384 (O)

E-Mail Address :
boihq@mha.nic.in
frrodelhi@hotmail.com
frrodli@nic.in

Office Address :
Sector-1, R.K. Puram,
New Delhi-110066

Contact Person at Airport

AFRRO (Departure)

Tel. No. 011-25652389

Contact Person at
Foreigners Registration
Office ,Address & Tel.
Mrs. Vineeta
Tel. No. 011-26711443
011-26195530,Extn. 142/302/141
011-26192634 Extn. 142/302/141
Sector-1, R.K. Puram,
New Delhi-110 066

Can you post the link to point #6 that you have mentioned (where it says the registration is not required for the children? I was not able to find it anywhere (not even on the Ministry of Home Affairs page)

Can you post the link to point #6 that you have mentioned (where it says the registration is not required for the children? I was not able to find it anywhere (not even on the Ministry of Home Affairs page)
search for Bureau of Immigration, India ( that is under Ministry of Home Affairs )

** FYI when the children with PIO card reach India and you fill up the form that you get in flight and give it to Customs officer that form has the info printed on it(back side of the form) that children below the age of 16 years are exempt from the requirement of registration.Customs officer looks at baby passport and PIO card, stamp the passport and he keeps one part of the form with him and gives you the second part of the form with arrival stamp on it and informs you that when the child depart the India give that second part to immigration officer when departing India.

Last edited by a moderator:
search for Bureau of Immigration, India ( that is under Ministry of Home Affairs )

** FYI when the children with PIO card reach India and you fill up the form that you get in flight and give it to Customs officer that form has the info printed on it(back side of the form) that children below the age of 16 years are exempt from the requirement of registration.Customs officer looks at baby passport and PIO card, stamp the passport and he keeps one part of the form with him and gives you the second part of the form with arrival stamp on it and informs you that when the child depart the India give that second part to immigration officer when departing India.

I am aslo in the same situation.My daughter is US citizen and has a PIO card. She was in India since 1 year. Now we booked tickets to bring her to USA after two weeks.We heard from a friend that we had to register at local police station in India if PIO card member stays more than 6 months.
My daughters age is now 2 years and 2 months.

I was wondering Ginnu if you or any of your friends experienced this kind of situation? If so pls share that experience.

Ginnu is right !

I was searching for the same info for my daughter who is currently in India who is approaching 180 days of her stay.

As per the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Children under 16 are not required to register

http://www.indiainbusiness.nic.in/visitors-guide/visa.htm

see the PIO section..

PIO (Persons of Indian Origin) Card holders : Following the introduction of the PIO Card scheme, PIO card holders are eligible for visa free entry into India for a period of the validity of the card i.e. 15 years, and they are NOT required to register themselves with the concerned FRO/FRRO if their continuous stay does not exceed 180 days. If the continuous stay exceed 180 days, the foreigner should approach the concerned FRO/FRRO for registration within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days, who will in turn register them.

Children below 16 years: As per para 2 of Registration of Foreigners (Exemption) Order, 1957, children below the age of 16 years are exempt from the requirement of registration.