Should we file at the same time ?

AlexanderG

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I are both eligible to file our N400 (5yr rule). My wife got her GC based on our marriage.
Under the assupmtion that I could have a problem that would affect my N400 application (and GC status), would it not be advicable that my wife naturalizes first ?

Would we at all have some (long term or short term) protection if my wife would be USC ?

Would my wife's citizenship, if she was approved, be in danger if I would have to defend the validity of my GC status ?

If you are familiar with such a situation or if you know some legal background I would appreciate your answer.

Alex

P.S. The cause of my concern was not supposed to be the subject if my post. I just would like to note that no lies,no fraud, nothing criminal was involved. At this point I also only assume that I may have a problem. I cannot verify this in my situation.

So, Joe, you think there is no 'collective punishment' for a problem in my immigration journey? My wife would be safe even if she would not be USC and my GC would be endangered ? In that case we could file our NATZ at the same time and she should be (?)

Alex

Thank you ... I read here in this forum that one guy suggested that filing the N400 with an attorney would cause the immigration officers to be extra suspecious because only people with difficult or problematic cases would file with an attorney. I have an immigration attorney from my employer ... but I don't need to set any red flags for anybody.
Should I file my N400 then better without the attorney ?

Alex

Without knowing your specific fears it would be hard to recommend anything. What is your fear anyway ? If you have some major complication that may cause denial, then filing with a reputed/well recommended attorney may help you also.
So there is not enough information about your specific case to opine anything.

I apologize, my question was meant to be asked general in nature: I wanted to know if filing with an attorney would raise indeed a red flag since most of the people (?) do file without an attorney.
Can one not also file with help of the attorney, however send the N400 by oneself and keep the lawyer and stand-by ?

Alex

AlexanderG said:
Can one not also file with help of the attorney, however send the N400 by oneself and keep the lawyer and stand-by ?

Alex

Yes, you could do that. I know of atleast 2 cases from forums where they filed N400 by themselves, but later retained an attorney to go with them to Natz interview.

So I could do that ... but what are your views/experience/opinion about the perception of the immigration when an N400 is filed with a lawyer ? Do they care or does that indicate to the immigration to look for 'something wrong' ?
Alex