Should I travel with my conditional green card (near expiration date)

connie

Registered Users (C)
Dear firends,

Please advise! I need your help.

My conditional green card (Green Card through Marriage) will be expired at August 10th. Currently, I plan to have two trips for out of US before the expire date. One to Canada, I will drive to across the border. The other one is back to China.

I filed my I-751 to remove the conditions for my green card, but I didn't receive my receipt yet.

At this point, can I travel outside the US ? Does USCIS have the pilicy to stop me come back since my green card almost expired?

Please help!

Thank you!

Connie

Personally, I dont think you will have issues as your Card is still valid, and if anything just bring the paperwork that shows that you have I751 pending so they keep their mouths shut.

I don't have my receipt for I-751 yet

JJBBKK,

Thank you!

I don't have my I-751 receipt yet. What should I bring to approve

You card is still valid, you shouldn't have any issues...in any case, you can wait for your receipt...shouldn't take too long to received it.

Good luck,

if you dont get in soon, make an infopass before your trip and go in person and ask whats the status and blah blah blah cause you just never know they might give it to you there, Ive seen some really "not very bright" people in those offices.

What is info pass

JJBBKK,

You mentioned a info pass in your replay. What is that? Please advise!

Thanks !

Connie:)

Connie,

Hope you got back to the US without any problem. I found that you're situation was very similar to me.

First my CG was going to expire on August 5, and I traveled outside the U.S. from June - July then came back without any issue. However, when the plane about to take off, I got a call from my lawyer that he received the recipt from USCIS. And when on my way back, when I checked in at the airline, the staff asked me whether my card expires on 2007. I supposed the immigration record show my extension automatically even though my card still say expires on 2006.

Second, I just filed I-751 at Vermont SC; the same location & same period as you did. So we should get them processed at about the same time.

Charts