Should I apply for H4 here in US or stamp directly in India?

anu73_in

Registered Users (C)
My husband's current H1 transfer has been approved. The employer applied only for his H1 transfer. We are waiting for the new approval notice. Once I have it I can apply for my H4 status extension (Form I-539). The fees is $300 for this. I am in US right now. My I-94 is still valid.

I am planning to go to India in June. I wanted to know if I should wait to apply for status extension and instead directly stamp new H4 along with my husband's H1 while in India. Please note I won't have my new approval notice based on the new employer's H1 for my husband. Our old H1/H4 stamp has expired.

Can I do that?

You can return (assuming you are travelling alone) using your old H-4 stamp, please carry all H-1 and H-4 approvel notices ... do not show them unless required to.

Our old H1/H4 stamp have expired for whole family so I have to have new one anyways. Hence was thinking of skipping the filing of status extension I-539 here in US and instead get the new H4 stamped based on my husband's new I-797.

Okay so your visa stamp on the passport expired ... but I believe that you already extended the H-4 status which is valid at least till June 2008. Yes, in that case you can get your H-4 stamped at a consulate on the basis of your husband's new I-797 approval notice.