shop lifting

Jim Mills said:
In most states (in fact, all that I know) a case that is Nolle Prossed is not considered a conviction. I'd need to look at the records and consider the state law to say for sure but it seems that the Service has reached the same conclusion.
This happened in Virginia. Im gonna have to read all those great links from unitednations tonite. The important Qs for me are:

- I always truthfully declare that I was arrestedm, though not convicted since the case was null processed. I was able to get H1B when I went to home country
- In US, the revalidation was denied saying that u need to appear in front of a counselar..so another trip to home country!...that is ridiculous..they make me stay there for 5 weeks to send file to DOS and DOS says go to them...circle!
- When I go to home country, next yr...u think I shall be able to get the visa earier?
- Will this arrest cause me issues with GC?

Last edited by a moderator:
dcmetro22042 said:
This happened in Virginia. Im gonna have to read all those great links from unitednations tonite. The important Qs for me are:

- I always truthfully declare that I was arrestedm, though not convicted since the case was null processed. I was able to get H1B when I went to home country
- In US, the revalidation was denied saying that u need to appear in front of a counselar..so another trip to home country!...that is ridiculous..they make me stay there for 5 weeks to send file to DOS and DOS says go to them...circle!
- When I go to home country, next yr...u think I shall be able to get the visa earier?
- Will this arrest cause me issues with GC?

When did you apply for revalidation? They are not revalidating any visas anymore. It may have nothing to do with the charge.

Applied well in time. Before July 16th cut off. Reply came back to me on July 14th. Funny thing was I had a H1B visa from them, stating "Hit does not constitute CIMT" and even then stupid people refused. The above visa was given to me in Feb, not more than 3 months back!! Had to apply again since my H1B was extended till end of 2005..sad how they work to add more pain for us.

I have a typical case here

Me and my wife went shopping to a mall and we went in Macys. After we were done shopping and paying the stuff. We thought of buying some more. We got separated and looking for me my wife accidently step out of macys in to the mall looking for me as I was carrying the wallet. There was no such intention but somehow one of the store guy saw the activity and stopped my wife. We explained him the situationa and they took us to the camera room and ask us to sign on some papers. He called manager and she ask him to let us got with just Civil Liablity..no arrest no cops no fingerprint. We got a letter from their attorney and ask us to pay $300 fine. I paid that.

Does this situation fit in any kind of crime..misdeamenour or felony. My wife is in India and we have i-551 stamp. Will it cause at the point of Entry? do we have to declare anything?...I am just worried.I also met the same person after few days and asked him about the situation.He said you were not convicted/arrested and there is no criminal record. You dont have to declare anything.

Please help on this.

All for GC: You should be fine. This sounds like just a Macy's thing and not an arrest. Glad that they did not do more harm. Exact same thing happended to me at another store (I even showed receipt of over $125!) but I was unfortunately arrested...it sucks...

help me, please...

i'm 18 years old. i did shop lifting and i caught on dec 3rd and this is my first time.
i'm really sorry and i don't know where is my brain that day..
i'm holding F-1 visa as student currently. I'm so worried that i'm gonna be deported back to my home country.
until now (jan 11st) , i haven't get any bill or mail from police department.
how long it will take?
i guess i wanna go to the court, what should i do in the court?
what is the next progress then?
is there any problem in immigration when i come back in my home country then back here again to continue my study?
is there any problem if i wanna apply a new visa ?

sorry if i asked so many things...
please help me.
i'm so desperate and don't know who else could ask.
thanks....