Selective Service & Applying for citizenship

vela

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I finally decided to apply for citizen-ship, and filled out the N-400, and ran into this question about Selective Service... umm... I NEVER KNEW I was supposed to register - what do I do now? (Yes, I was less than 26yrs old when I got my employment based GC). I've been a permanent resident for 8+ years now and am currently 33 yrs old. So now what do I do? Perhaps the question should be what should I do? (with respect to my citizenship application)

My guess is this must be a fairly commonly occuring problem - I'd appreciate pointers from others that have gone thru this... what to do? How to go about it? And if it is a non-issue, REASSUARANCE WOULD BE VERY ENCOURAGING ;) Thanks!

Regards,
Rohit

P.S.
I am married to a naturalized citizen for the last 6+ years...

Those SS application forms at Post Offices are usally
in slots together with those change of address form,
register mail form, certifiled mail form, etc. It is easy
to miss them unless you intentioanlly search for them.

I only learned the existence of SS after i decided
to get basic law knowledge of USA

similar situation

I became permanent resident about 4 months prior to hitting 26yrs.
I had no idea about selective service at that time, obviously came to know about it now - my interview is scheduled on Dec 12, 2002.

What do you recommend me to do now?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.
Regards

if one fails to register for Selective Service and he is obliged to, what kind of penalty INS will give? I donot think INS will deny N400 permanently. Maybe a penalty time? Anyone knows?

All the discussion in this forum is on "what should be done", but rarely people discuss the backup plan.

SSS Helpline

Thanks all for replying.

I called SSS helpline and explained my situation. "I was above 25 years when I received my residency and just 3 months left before I would turn 26 years."

The customer service person on the other end was very understanding and she took my details, SSN, DOB, Address and visa status during my stay in US. She said "SSS will mail status information letter". To mail status information letter it takes about 4-6 weeks, unfortunately I only have less than 4 weeks before my interview. Had I done this work immediately after receiving interview letter, I would have received status information letter prior to my interview.
Anyone can request for status information letter and it is important to have the letter, since it could be required if one is applying for Government job.

Best Regards

Search for this user name on this site - > oluyi
I had similar issue but thank God today I am a Citizen.
All the best.

SSA Letter

Thanks oluyi, I read your experience with SSA and I appreciate you response.

I called SSA on Monday and I received letter from them on Saturday, super service.

It states
"The purpose of this provision is to clarify that a non-registrant is not to be denied any Federal benefit if he can demonstrate that his failure to register was not knowing or willful."

It has other legal stuff "Section 12(g) of the Military Selective Service act (50 App. U.S.C 462(g))

I hope this letter should do it and opportunity to justify will get me through.
I will post my experience after my interview.
Regards