• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

selected but a little confused!

abdel65

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,

I am new here, I want first to thank the founders for this helpful website.

I am a DV2013 selectee, so I must successfully complete the required steps before a diversity immigrant visa interview can be scheduled to determine if I will receive a visa.

One of the steps is to fill in the form DS-230 and send it to Kentucky Consular Center.
But I am a little confused about the question #31 of the said form.

I have to fill in field #31a with my family members names to enable them to accompany me now
OR
field #31b to let them follow me at a later date.

So, I decided to let my family follow me at a later date, in this case I have some questions:
1- will it affect the decision of the Consular Officer to give me the visa or not?
2- Do I have to submit Civil Documents of my family members too at my interview?
3- What are the total fees do I have to pay in this case?

Thank you and good luck for everybody.
abdel.

1- will it affect the decision of the Consular Officer to give me the visa or not?
of course not
2- Do I have to submit Civil Documents of my family members too at my interview?
Yes, When you receive your 2nd NL you will be instructed to go to U.S embassy site of your home country
there will be listing all the documents are needed in the interview.
3- What are the total fees do I have to pay in this case?

For now the fees is 330 USD per person.

Good Luck.

Thanks FirasAwad for your reply. I have the same concerns as Abdel65.
I think in question 2 Abdel65 wanted to know if (s)he has to submit all the civil documentations for the principal applicant and the family members during the interview even if the family members are following to join at a later time. Or do the family members have to submit their documents only when they go to the ambassy
And if the principal applicant can submit the documents for the entire family what if the family members who will follow to join at a later time are not in the same country or continent?

In light to the answer of question 2, question 3 is asking about the total fees to pay at the ambassy even if the family members are following to join (also meaning that they are not requesting visa now). Does the principal applicant have to pay the total amount for all the family members at once?

I am adding anothe question: If one choses that his family members will accompany him to the US instead of following to join. Is it a must that principal applicant travel with the family members to US during the first entry in the country? Is it possible for the principal applicant to make the trip first and then the family members join at a later date but before the expiration of the 6 months period of the validity of the visa? Is this last case similar to "follow to join".

Thanks all for your input.

Thanks FirasAwad for your reply. I have the same concerns as Abdel65.
I think in question 2 Abdel65 wanted to know if (s)he has to submit all the civil documentations for the principal applicant and the family members during the interview even if the family members are following to join at a later time. Or do the family members have to submit their documents only when they go to the ambassy
And if the principal applicant can submit the documents for the entire family what if the family members who will follow to join at a later time are not in the same country or continent?

In light to the answer of question 2, question 3 is asking about the total fees to pay at the ambassy even if the family members are following to join (also meaning that they are not requesting visa now). Does the principal applicant have to pay the total amount for all the family members at once?

I am adding anothe question: If one choses that his family members will accompany him to the US instead of following to join. Is it a must that principal applicant travel with the family members to US during the first entry in the country? Is it possible for the principal applicant to make the trip first and then the family members join at a later date but before the expiration of the 6 months period of the validity of the visa? Is this last case similar to "follow to join".

Thanks all for your input.

Djack let me explain the process briefly... The principle applicant can add his/her wife/husband and their children (under the age of 21) to the same case. The embassy will interview the whole family at the same time and at the same place; whether they will accompany the principle applicant or they will follow him/her.

That being said they will request from you to gather all the documents for you and for all your family to bring it to the interview along with the total amount of fees (330 USD per person).

The visa validity will be usually 6 months and depends on the following
1-Police Clearance validity
2-Medical Exam validity

(which one comes first) usually police clearance has a 1 year validity and the medical exam has 6 months. Let's say you did issue both of them today and your interview tomorrow, if the CO granted you all the visa then the visa validity will be 6 months depending on your medical exam and vice versa.( regardless of whether they will accompany you or will follow)

Please keep in mind that you can always change your answer in your DS forms even at your interview so don't worry about it now.

Best of luck for both of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks FirasAwad.
But what if the family members and the principal applicant are not living in the same country? Let's say principal applicant lives in country A and family members in country B (located in another continent). Can the case be processed in the 2 different countries (embassies)?
Also, it is said somewhere that it is obligatory for anyone requesting immigration visa to US to be present during the interview even if the petitioner is a minor. Is that correct?
I really need these information to prepare for my interview which will likely be between january and february according to my CN.

Thanks FirasAwad.
But what if the family members and the principal applicant are not living in the same country? Let's say principal applicant lives in country A and family members in country B (located in another continent). Can the case be processed in the 2 different countries (embassies)?
As far as I know ... NO. The thing is when you entered the lottery you filled an online form questionnaire right!
As I remembered there is a question like where do you want your interview to be placed?
If there is an option to schedule two interviews they would asked you by then. So either principle applicant go to country B or they go to country A, it all depends on where did you decide to be the interview when you entered the application and remember you can always change it by sending an email to KCC after you receive the 2nd NL.
Also, it is said somewhere that it is obligatory for anyone requesting immigration visa to US to be present during the interview even if the petitioner is a minor. Is that correct?
I really need these information to prepare for my interview which will likely be between january and february according to my CN.

Yes.

What is your case number by the way ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Thank you very much FirasAwad and Djack.
Certainly your answers will be very helpful for me and for others.

Hope success for everyone.

Thanks FirasAwad,
I understand now with your explanations. So only those doing AOS can have their family members' case processed in the country where these members live?
My CN is AF24XXX.

Thanks FirasAwad,
I understand now with your explanations. So only those doing AOS can have their family members' case processed in the country where these members live?
My CN is AF24XXX.

You cannot do AOS outside the U.S.

You cannot do AOS outside the U.S.

I mean to say that only AOSer can have their family members processed their case in a different place than the prinicpal applicant who lives in US. Apart from that case, consular processing should be done in a single embassy with all the persons included in the DV entry form. at the time of application.
Thanks once again FirasAwad for the clarification.

I mean to say that only AOSer can have their family members processed their case in a different place than the prinicpal applicant who lives in US. Apart from that case, consular processing should be done in a single embassy with all the persons included in the DV entry form. at the time of application.

I don't know if this possible because I don't know anything about AOS.

Anyway good luck in your visa journey and keep us posted ;)

Djack, that is correct. Only AOS selectee can have their applications processed in two locations. Main applicant in US while family members if abroad in consular.

Apart from the above scenario all applicants including minors must present themselves at consular for processing.

Djack, that is correct. Only AOS selectee can have their applications processed in two locations. Main applicant in US while family members if abroad in consular.

Apart from the above scenario all applicants including minors must present themselves at consular for processing.

Thank you FirasAwad and Minto64 for your explanations. Things are clear now for me.

Hi Guys,

I spoke to someone at KCC yesterday about this issue and the person told me that it is doable even for those who are doing consular processing to have their family members' interview in another country provided that they chose "follow to join" instead of "accompany" the principal applicant.
She also mentioned that when you go to the interview, just let the consular officer know that you want your family members' case to be processed at the embassy X and the DS-230 of these people will be transfered to the said embassy. That's all.
She went on to advice me to send KCC an e-mail for inquiry about following to join process. I will let you guys know the content of their answer as soon as I get it.
Meanwhile, I will suggest that those who are in the same situation also send a message to KCC for clarification about this issue so that we can compare the information. When you send them a message, don't forget your case number, name and date of birth.

Hi Guys,

I spoke to someone at KCC yesterday about this issue and the person told me that it is doable even for those who are doing consular processing to have their family members' interview in another country provided that they chose "follow to join" instead of "accompany" the principal applicant.
She also mentioned that when you go to the interview, just let the consular officer know that you want your family members' case to be processed at the embassy X and the DS-230 of these people will be transfered to the said embassy. That's all.
She went on to advice me to send KCC an e-mail for inquiry about following to join process. I will let you guys know the content of their answer as soon as I get it.
Meanwhile, I will suggest that those who are in the same situation also send a message to KCC for clarification about this issue so that we can compare the information. When you send them a message, don't forget your case number, name and date of birth.

I didn't know that is possible so please forgive me if I did provide you with an incorrect information.
Please accept my apologies.

Follow to join process and Interview in 2 embassies

Last week, I promised to send you more info about the mail I sent to KCC regarding the "following to join process" and the possibility of having the interview in 2 different embassies.
Please find below the answer given by KCC:

"The beneficiary must go to the embassy at which he or she wishes to process the case and request for the follow-to join process to be initiated. Once requested, the embassy will obtain the necessary documentation from the applicant. The proper procedures will be implemented to ensure that the case is processed accordingly.

Entitlement to immigrant status in the DV category lasts only through the end of the fiscal (visa) year for which the applicant is selected in the lottery. The year of entitlement for all applicants registered for the DV-2013 program ends as of September 30, 2013. DV visas may not be issued to DV-2013 applicants after that date. Similarly, spouses and children accompanying or following to join DV-2013 principals are only entitled to derivative DV status until September 30, 2013. DV visa availability through the very end of Fiscal Year 2013 cannot be taken for granted. Numbers could be exhausted prior to September 30, 2013.

In addition, spouses or children acquired after the principal applicant has been approved for the visa, must be completed through processing on or before September 30th of the DV program year. Questions pertaining to this situation must be directed to the US CIS at 1-800-375-5283."

I hope this helps.