Security Clearance and Background Check only for US Citizens?

Net75

Registered Users (C)
I am a F1 Visa student...

I might get OPT to be authorized to work in the USA.

Before applying for any job, I would like to know if I can apply for jobs that requires background checks or security clearance.

Is background checks or security clearance for US Citizens only?

Thanks.

I am a F1 Visa student...

I might get OPT to be authorized to work in the USA.

Before applying for any job, I would like to know if I can apply for jobs that requires background checks or security clearance.

Is background checks or security clearance for US Citizens only?

Thanks.

It depends more if the position you are applying for requires you to be a US citizen or not. This is the case with government jobs. Look at all the requirements (not just security clearance and background checks) before applying for the job.

Please look at this DOD site for security clearances for non US citizens:

https://www.dss.mil/GW/ShowBinary/DSS/isp/international/laa.html

I had to go through this (never completed it, though) when I was not a US citizen (I am currently working for US military). Do note that this is even tougher than regular SECRET clearance for US citizens. The scope of the investigation is similar to TOP SECRET for US citizens.

They won't hire you for any sensitive Federal job while you are on F1/OPT. So don't worry about Security Clearance.

But background checks are routine scans of criminal records that almost all employers, private or government, will run before hiring you, and are not to be confused with security clearance (although an integral part of security clearance is the task of running background checks). Your F1/OPT status doesn't prevent you from getting hired for jobs that require background checks.