Security check pending

mermaid06

Registered Users (C)
Hi! Does anyone know what "security check" means? Was told during infopass (December 11, 2006) that name check cleared (mid October 2006), but security check is pending. It's been 16 months since the interview...
Anyone in a similar situation please post!

background check and name check are the same thing

Never heard about security check. Did they DO tell more detail ?

mermaid06 said:
Hi! Does anyone know what "security check" means? Was told during infopass (December 11, 2006) that name check cleared (mid October 2006), but security check is pending. It's been 16 months since the interview...

This was the exact conversation:
Officer: "We have applied for the security check"
Question: With FBI?
Officer: "Yes"
Question: And when is it going to be completed?
Officer: "I do not know"

For what I understand, the fingerprints submit to FBI for criminal history and name check are so called "security check". I don't know if N400 involves any other "security check".

fyi

paz1960 said:
Hello tomshen99a,

Please find attached an USCIS Fact Sheet, which describes in details what kind of security checks are performed before a petition or application can be adjudicated.

If it is a check that is pending with the FBI, it is either your name check or your fingerprints. The latter being fully digitized, I suspect your name check is pending. These are the only checks the FBI performs on applicants.

USCIS runs an IBIS check. This 'check' basically tries to figure out if you are on any of the 20+ U.S. gov't watch lists etc. etc.

If they do suspect that something fishy about your green card or any other immigration benefit you were ever granted, they might also refer a case to ICE for further investigation. Yet, I do not think this applies to your case.

Cheers!
Legal

Did you get PR through marriage? Did you adjust status here rather than go through consular processing in your country. The "security check" could also be a CIA check.

mermaid06 said:

brb2 said:
Did you get PR through marriage? Did you adjust status here rather than go through consular processing in your country. The "security check" could also be a CIA check.

Unless I am mistaken, a CIA check is only involved when dealing with I-485s, asylum applications and adjustment of status. There is a document somewhere on USCIS.gov that outlines the checks that are performed on applications, all applications with USCIS.

Cheers!
Legal