Secondary Evidence for Passport

lyricalysound

Hello!

A little background: both my biological parents naturalized before I turned 18 in 2000. My dad in 1999 and my mom just a few months before my birthday. My parents never filled out the paperwork to get my citizenship certificate.

I was told I should fill out form N600 to get it, or just fill out the paperwork for the US passport. I was looking at the requirements to go the passport route and it says I’ll need my green card as proof. I have it; the only problem is that it expired in 2011. Will that be an issue? Do I need to get a current green card if I’m already technically a citizen? I have all the necessary documents otherwise.

I could just fill out the N600 and avoid the fee since I am a veteran. But I heard that may take awhile and I’m trying to get a U.S. passport within the next 18 months. Please advise. Thank you in advance!

The expired green card is not an issue. What matters is that you had permanent resident status at that time (between when your second parent naturalized and when you turned 18). Anything that proves your permanent resident status from that time or before will work (since permanent residency does not expire).

The expired green card is not an issue. What matters is that you had permanent resident status at that time (between when your parents naturalized and when you turned 18). Anything that proves your permanent resident status from that time or before will work (since permanent residency does not expire).
Thank you for the response! What can be used as proof? Will my high school diploma work? I graduated high school 2 months before I turned 18 and a year after my first parent naturalized. What else could I use as proof as it’s a fairly narrow window.

I mean your green card or immigrant visa, from 2000 or before, will prove your permanent resident (i.e. green card) status from before then. Your green card that expired 2011 should also be fine, since it has a "resident since" date on it.

I mean your green card or immigrant visa, from 2000 or before, will prove your permanent resident (i.e. green card) status from before then. Your green card that expired 2011 should also be fine, since it has a "resident since" date on it.
Ah. Got it. Sorry, I misinterpreted your previous reply. So I should be good then. I’ll go schedule my appointment at the post office for a pass port! Thank you so much.

Be aware that you became a citizen under the law prior to the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (which took effect in February 2001), so you will need to provide proof that both of your parents naturalized before you turned 18. I am not sure if the particular post office staff will know about the older laws, but they should just accept it and send it to the State Department for adjudication.

Be aware that you became a citizen under the law prior to the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (which took effect in February 2001), so you will need to provide proof that both of your parents naturalized before you turned 18. I am not sure if the particular post office staff will know about the older laws, but they should just accept it and send it to the State Department for adjudication.
Good morning,

I have copies of both of my parents’ naturalization certificates which show they naturalized before my 18th birthday. I should be squared away!

When you apply for a passport, I would personally apply for the little passport card as well to keep it save as a proof of citizenship.
Thanks for the reminder! I will. I have an appointment set up early next month so hopefully everything goes through without issues.