Seattle DO - N-400 timeline

If you were there on a Monday afternoon for 1:30pm appointment, you will see a long line outside the building. They have oath ceramony every Monday. When I took my fingerprint, I have to wait almost an hour to get call, so it really is hit or miss. I think in general the Seattle DO is quite efficient.

Time line

Hi Puvvada,

Did you recieve your IL . My timeline
Sent N-400 application to Nebraska - 10/02/06
FP Appointment - 10/25/2006.

Interview letter not received yet.

puvvada said:
Thanks for the update guys. Here's my timeline.

Sent N-400 application to Nebraska - 08/29/06
Receipt Date - 09/05/06
Received Receipt notice - 09/15/06
Received FP notice on 09/12/06
FP Appointment - 10/02/2006

Not yet

sack98 said:
Did you recieve your IL . My timeline
Sent N-400 application to Nebraska - 10/02/06
FP Appointment - 10/25/2006.

Interview letter not received yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received interview letter

Receipt Date - 09/05/06
interview date : 01/22/2007

Interview Letter Received

Got my interview letter today. The "notice date" on the letter says December 15, but it was postmarked December 19.

My interview is on February 20; so my timeline is:

Mailed N-400: 10/27/06
Priority Date: 10/30/06
Check cashed: 11/2/06
Postmark on FP notice and receipt: 11/7/06
FP date: 11/21/06
Postmark on interview letter: 12/19/06
Interview letter received: 12/28/06
interview date: 2/20/07
Oath date: ?

Receipt Date - 09/05/06
Interview Date - 1/22/2007
Oath Completed- 02/01/2007
Became USA citizen

I checked many messages on this forum and nobody seem to have MY kind of timeline:

Applied in 05/2005
FP: 08/23/05
Interview: 10/11/05

And after passing the test the officer told me that no decision can yet be made because I do not have my FBI background cleared.
..Still waiting since...

I called the 800 number, had an appointment at Seattle Immig. Office, emailed--numerous times--Got the same answer: "your case is processing, contact this office in 30 days if you do not receive any letter from us".
Yesterday I've got a letter from them (USCIS) with another fingerprint date scheduled next month..Why? Do those (FPs) expire? Does anybody have any idea why is taking so long?..I am comming up on 2 years since I applied.
Thanks for any advice(idea, thought etc) !

MissMolina said:
FP's expire in 1 yr. Goodluck, hang in there.
Thanks. My FP 's were 1 year old since Aug.2006--I wonder how they waked up only now to invite me to get some new ones..But I guess -- nothing really surprises me anymore. I already went thru all types and..stages of frustration with this: anger, self-doubt, doubting my friends or anybody I knew one time or another in my life, melancholy..anger again!!! can't do anything about it--it seems like-just wait.
What helps me is to not think about on a daily bases.
Does anybody know if at the end (there IS an end--isn't it?!) anybody would explain to me why it took so long?

My interview experience

My interview experience today in Seattle can be described in one word – anti-climactic.

The interview was scheduled for 1 PM; I was in the building by 12:15. (For details on the building, parking, security procedures, etc. see my fingerprinting experience.) After the security check, I went to the counter, and the lady there told me to go through the double doors and upstairs to the second floor.

Once I went upstairs, I was in a waiting room with plenty of comfortable seating. CNN was playing on a TV. Very airporty. There were a few people waiting there, but no counters or tickets or numbering systems. We waited until almost 1 PM, and a steady stream of people trickled in. When it was almost 1, officers began to come out through side doors and call peoples’ names. I was called at 1:10.

The lady who interviewed me wasn’t overly friendly, but she wasn’t rude either; just matter-of-fact and efficient. We went into her office, and she asked me to raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth. Then she asked me for my Green Card and driver’s license (those were the only documents I was asked to produce during the interview.) She then asked me some questions from the beginning of the application – name, address, height… she seemed to just be making sure I was who I said I was.

She then went through many of the questions around being able to take the oath of allegiance, having any arrest record, being a Communist, willingness to bear arms for the United States, etc. I answered appropriately.

We then moved on to the “testing” portion of the interview. I was asked to read and write a simple English sentence. Then six questions from the List of 100, which I got right.

At that point, I was asked to print my full name, rather than signing it the normal way, in boxes 13 and 14 of the N-400. This has been mentioned numerous times on this forum; so I was not surprised. Then I was asked to print my full name on my photos – specifically, on the right of the photos, from bottom to top, in the white space above my shoulder in the photos.

Then the officer asked me if I could take the citizenship oath on March 1. I said yes. She handed me a form N-652, indicating that I’d passed the interview and test, and a form N-445 asking me to be at the USCIS office on March 1 at 2 PM to take the oath. The N-445 has some questions at the back, which need to be checked off before the oath. Unless you decide to become a Communist before the oath ceremony, you should have no problems with those.

The officer then asked me if I had any questions, and I had a mundane one: How early should I be for the oath ceremony? She said that people tend to get there in a crowd, that the check-in starts at 2 PM, and that the actual ceremony is at 3. They don’t start the ceremony until everyone is checked in.

She then congratulated me. I was done! The entire interview had taken less than 15 minutes (yes, I timed it.) She walked me out into the waiting room and I was on my way.

Now for the sort of details we sometimes agonize over in this forum.

Documentation

I divided the documents I needed to take to the interview into three parts (note: I’m single, applying on the five-year basis, and was too old for Selective Service registration when I got my Green Card):

Required: Notice letter, Green Card, driver's license, Passport, extra photos

Nice to have: Driver's record, court dispositions for minor traffic tickets (even though I didn't list them on the N-400,) birth certificate, pen, pencil, checkbook, copy of filled-out N-400

JohnnyCash extremism: Social Security card, Selective Service letter, lease copies (last two years,) tax returns (last five years,) N-400 instructions, Guide to Naturalization, etc.

I took the Required and Nice-to-have documents, but not the JohnnyCash-extremist stuff. I was only asked for the notice letter, my Green Card and my driver’s license.

Signing the photos

In its infinite capacity for torture, the USCIS makes hapless immigrants write on and sign photographs. As anyone who’s filled out the N-400 knows, you’re supposed to write your A# “lightly” on the back of your photographs with a pencil. If you’ve tried this, you know that it’s nigh impossible to write anything on the back of a photo with a pencil, let alone write it “lightly.”

At the interview, they make you sign the front of the photographs (well, they make you print your full name) with a pen. I tried this at home, and was unable to print my name successfully. I then tried a variety of pens until I found one that could do the job. I practiced with it on several photographs, and took it and six backup photos to the interview, in case I screwed up the two photos I’d be asked to sign.

I needn’t have bothered. At the beginning of the interview, I was handed a pen which I used throughout. With this pen, I was able to very easily print my name on the two photographs.

Next Steps

3/1/07 - Take the citizenship oath at a ceremony (1 day)

3/2/07 - Register to vote

3/2/07 - Apply for a US Passport (1-2 weeks with expediting fee)

3/16/07 - Update the Social Security Administration’s database with my citizenship status (1 day)

3/16/07 - Send my Indian Passport to the Indian Consulate in San Francisco for cancellation (1 week with overnight return postage)

3/23/07 - Apply for a Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card (2-4 weeks with overnight return postage)

My N-400 timeline:

Interview date: 2/20/07
Oath date: 3/1/07

Congratulations Sampai and Thank you for the post. Just curious about the DO that Seattle fall under?

future timeline

Next Steps

3/1/07 - Take the citizenship oath at a ceremony (1 day)

3/2/07 - Register to vote (?)

3/16/07 - Update the Social Security Administration’s database with my citizenship status (1 day)

3/16/07 - Send my Indian Passport to the Indian Consulate in San Francisco for cancellation (1 week with overnight return postage)

3/23/07 - Apply for a Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card (2-4 weeks with overnight return postage)

My N-400 timeline:

interview date: 2/20/07

Congratulations. Interesting that you also know your future timeline.

My Oath Ceremony Experience

About an hour ago, I became a US citizen.

As I mentioned when writing about my interview experience, my oath ceremony was today at 2 PM. I got to the USCIS facility at 1:20. As I was going through security, the security guard kept telling people that anyone who was there for the oath ceremony should go directly to the same room where we waited for our interview.

At about 1:45, they called us out of the waiting room. We were taken downstairs to the counters behind the security checkpoint, where we lined up single-file. Family and friends were shown directly to the auditorium.

A man told us to line up, and gave us instructions on filling the N-445 form. He also said that the only documents we needed to have handy were our Green Cards and oath notice letters.

Three counters were setup and the line was rapidly processed into the auditorium. No one had to wait more than 15 minutes, and 74 applicants were in the auditorium by 2:10.

We each had to give up our Green Cards at the counters. In return, we were each handed a small US flag, and a packet containing the Pledge of Allegiance and a letter from the President.

In the auditorium, USCIS employees passed around Passport applications, and applications to bring family members to the US. Volunteers from a left-wing non-profit group called Hate Free Zone passed out voter registration forms.

All of these people wouldn't shut up about how to fill out these forms, and how we should update our status with the Social Security administration, etc. For immigrants who could barely speak English, this must have seemed like very relevant information. But I already had my Passport application neatly filled out and with me! I'd done my research, and I hated the hectoring.

Then a man came up to the mic and there was more hectoring about how we needed to take care of our naturalization certificates. Then they played a black-and-white movie montage of the huddled masses coming to the US.

By the time this was all done, it was 2:45 PM.

Apparently, the District Director was supposed to hand us our certificates; so we had to wait for him to arrive. We waited until about 3:15 - an incredibly annoying wait for me - and they finally announced that he wasn't going to make it.

The ceremony finally started, and an underling led us in the oath of citizenship. By 3:20, we were US citizens!

Then they handed out the certificates one by one. Family and friends snapped pictures, and I was annoyed by the people who tried to take photos with their cameras turned off.

We were almost done! We were asked to sign the certificates, took the Pledge of Allegiance, watched another movie montage, and finally walked out.

It was 4:15 or so by the time I was out of the building. I'm a US citizen now!! :D :D :D

Next Steps

3/2/07 - Register to vote

My N-400 timeline:

Interview date: 2/20/07

N-400 details (Seattle)

Here are my details:

Mailed: 02/12/07
PD: 02/16/07
NOA: 02/23/07
Check cashed: 02/26/07
FP: 3/19/07 -- original date - rescheduled due to travel
FP: 4/20/07
IV date: ???

FP preponed. The only ocuments required were FP notice, green card, and driving license or Passport. Do take a black pen along if you want to avoid borrowing it there. Also, if you are going on your scheduled date, dont sweat about the timing. Whether you go an hour ealier or later doesn't matter.
Good luck!

Congratulations for everyone. My attorney sent all the paperwork on 3/14/2007.. now the waiting game.. argghhhh...

Attorney?? for what?

Anayone has any experience of rescheduling / preponing the interview date by walking-in to interview center and scheduling it to same day:)