Rights and duties of Permanent Residents

Originally posted by Huracan
From the horse's mouth
http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

This is the kind of information I've personally been waiting for a long time, although in essence doesn't give much new, but good info for newbies and not very informed people.

My 2 cents,

Huracan

I agree. This is an excellent resource. I always wondered, though, about the "conditional" permanent resident. This is quite a contradiction in terms.

Brian

It does say we can vote in local election if local govt dose not require citizenship. But even if my local government says
no citizenship is required, I am still reluctant to vote
because god knows what will happen. INS may later
ask you to provide proof that your local laws does say
non-citizen can vote. One vote does not make any difference
anyway.

"Voting
One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting. As a Permanent Resident you can only vote in local and state elections that do not require you to be a US citizen. It is very important that you do not vote in national, state or local elections that require a voter to be a US citizen when you are not a US citizen. There are criminal penalties for voting when you are not a US citizen and it is a requirement for voting. You can be removed (deported) from the US if you vote in elections limited to US citizens"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Huracan

And good to see your message after a long time .. We use to discuss in another part of this forum before getting GREEN CARD..

Excellent Info

Specially liked the following section

==================

The card must be in your possession at all times. While that does not require that you have on your person at all times, it does require that you have a currently valid card and that you know where it is and can show it to an immigration officer, if requested.

=====================

I have kept the physical Green Card (myself and my family) in the Safe Deposit at a Bank. I was concerned that maybe I am required to have this on my person at all times.

The above passage has cleared my doubts.

>I have kept the physical Green Card (myself and my family)
>in the Safe Deposit at a Bank

Do you have teh access to safe depositi of the bank
7-day-24-hour? If not, then it is not OK because you can not can "show it to an immigration officer, if requested" when you meet an immigration officer on the minight of Saturday.

Re: Excellent Info

Originally posted by rsrgc
Specially liked the following section

I have kept the physical Green Card (myself and my family) in the Safe Deposit at a Bank. I was concerned that maybe I am required to have this on my person at all times.

The above passage has cleared my doubts.

We desis think that safety deposit boxes are the safest places for our valuables. They are really not.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/banking/basics/10987.asp
:p