RFE on I-140 (should I pack my bags???)

lostguy

Registered Users (C)
My I-140 and I485 were concurrently filed in March 04. My I-140 was filed with a labor sub (EB3) which had a requirement of a 4 year degree. I have a 3 year degree in Mathematics.

My lawyer says the RFE (issued on March 18th 2005) specifically asks for a 4 year degree and told me that they have started seeing a lot of rejections due to Labor sub not matching the applicants qualifications. Tells me that my case will definitely get rejected.

Any help would be appreciated as I am mentally prepared for the worst :(

Edu

Does your labor certification allows combination of education and work experience?

Can U tell us what is stated in Ur ETA 750 -- section 14 and 15..

Sometimes the Adjucator make mistake in this area --

Good Luck

My lawyer is not giving me a copy of the Labor Sub used nor the RFE though informed me that she would reply to the RFE as late as possible.
How do I go ahead to get a Degree evaluation done??? Does the Degree evaluation take into consideration my experience as well?

Rfe

If you do not have the labor certification and the RFE notice with you -- U can do very little to help Ur self ...

The Adjucatior usually gives around 3 months of time -- to reply -- what if Ur attorney forgets to reply -- then the case would be considered withdrawn...

I suggest -- U should first get the documents and plan a line of action -- If U have experience -- then things can be done Good for U..
There are many guys in the forum who have advanced knowledge in this regards and they might help U out once they have the details.. UnitedNations is one of them .. Contact him -- imdly
I think his email is ny.unitednations@gmail.com

Hope that helps
Bill

lostguy,
start your plan of action immediately as suggested by billtoo.
get yr eduction evaln done and also check whether your labor (ETA-750A/B) has education and experience substituition option.

Hi UnitedNations,

You are just awesome. These encouraging words and the details are the need of the hour for people like us. Keep up the good work. Wish you all the very best.

Thank you - unitedNations.

UnitedNations -- thanks for Ur in-depth posts.. U have had been helping people with such a dexterity -- I doubt any immigration lawyer explained the intricacies of immigration with such clarity and depth.

I guess U should write a book -- like what should a non-immigrant know before applying to become an immigrant..

If the facts are well laid out -- most of the RFE's can be eliminated -- well that is the work of immigration attorney-- but so many RFE's suggest that they are not doing there job well..

Thank you again..

Dear Friends,

I recently started following this thread for Nebraska applicants.It is very informative and definitely a good source for information sharing.Looking at so many messages posted regarding educational qualification requirement, I am bit confused and concerned. Recently my I140 & I485 application was filed concurrently in EB2, I hold M.Tech degree earned from a leading institution from India. My labor application states masters in computer science or engineering or equivalent with minimum 3 years of experience . I have more than the requirements. Is M.Tech degree equivalent to MS in engineering from USA?.Appreciate your inputs.

regards

kris

Edu Eval...

What does Ur edu eval says -- the exact phrase?

-----------------------------------------------

eBhola said:
What does Ur edu eval says -- the exact phrase?

-----------------------------------------------
The educational evaluation states that M.Tech degree is equivalent to MS degree in US

regards

kris

I saw the light at the end of the tunnel

Guys,
By grace of the God, I am that lucky member, who got approval and got stamp yesterday. united nations helped me a lot with the action plan and ideas to think about.

Below are the cases, I came across during my research to boost your moral.
Case 1. ETA-750A had Bs in column 14 and no "combination or equivalent" in column 15. His advertisements said "Bachelors or equivalent or experience". They realised after approval. His attorney was smart and he filed 140-485 saying "Looking at the evidences submitted(advt), employer's intention is to hire somebody who has Bachelor's or equivalent or experience" - And guess what - 140 was approved, even then column 14 had BS only.

Case 2: 140-485 was rejected based on same thing(column 14 has BS only)
Attorney filed a case against USCIS with arguments
- The officer who rejected this is not qualified to understand the subjects my client had studied and thats why we have education evaluation attached.
- When you accept the same education evaluation for student visa/admission and H1B, why not now
- Client had vision to study post graduate diploma since begining and that why he chose related subjects in graduation to get admission in post graduate.. so it should be treated as 4 year education
They won the appeal

Case 3(my self, in detail):
140-485 denied as column 14 in ETA750A had BS and column 15 was empty.

I consulted 5 top most attorneys and all of them said "No chances of winning at all(less than .01%) and its wastage of time and money". They even didn't agree to file MTR/appeal for me. I didn't chose any body out of those as they were not optimistic. The attorney I used said same as others, but he mentioned to charge double fees on success and I thought he is going to put more efforts for that and he spent his weekend for my case.

Action plan (Work in PARALLEL)
1. Start collecting documents like course contents/admission process, if its competitive test from collge/university
2. Don't bother for sealed envelope
3. Get letters from the college which says the time you were there and list of subjects which are linked to electronics and computers. I mean, if you have studied languages/history/chemistry/economics....do not mention that at all(if you are in IT profession). We have to prove that your 3 year graduation and one year of post graduate diploma are related and you had plans to do post graduate diploma since begining of the graduation.

Prepare the letter by your self as letter from the colleges are standard format and will not say anything about subjects.

Give the above highest priority as it is time consuming process.

Along with that, in parallel here in USA
- Talk to the education evaluation company and give them copies of denial letters and your evaluation which was used and put extra stress on to get it reviewed by their inhouse Immigration attorneys. File MTR/appeal no matter what it takes
- Collect the copies of ETA-750A/ETA 750B and advertisement docs and denial letters and then start talking to attorney's who are optimistic and have good level of understanging to represent your case
- File New LC(you may have to start advt right away to file after few months) or use the advt, if your company has some already for somebody
- Look around for pre-approved and be aware of employers/attorneys who try to fool you with words and gurantees. There are companies who can add your name in the LC which is under process.

Use all of your skills when you talk for pre-approved, this is important as the people you would be talking are purely marketing people and can do anything if they getting good commission

- Check with your friends who would have filed multiple LC, you can use one of that
- You can convert your H1 to student visa, if you want to use that potion as well, then you have to start talking to universities (u can have your family here with you on student visa if you have sufficient fund)
- File for canada/UK immigration and look for work permits

I'm in the same stable

Hello guys,

Thanks for the detailed information in this thread, I recieved rfe with the following text:
It has been determined after review of the petition and supporting documentation that
evaluation of the alien's credentials must be obtained before a decision can be made. This evaluation is
necessary to determine the level and major field of educational attainment described in the supporting
documents in terms of equivalent education in the United States. The Immigration and Naturalization
Service does not endorse or recommend evaluators. Many private individuals, oganizations and educational

institutions provide this service.

acceptable evaluation should:

1). Consider formal education only, not practical training experience;

2). State if the collegiate training was post secondary education: i.e. did the applicant complete the
United States equivalent of high school before entering college?

3). Provide a detailed explanation of the material evaluated, rather than a simple conclusive statement.

4). Briefly state the qualifications and experience of the evaluator providing the opinion

A copy of an education evaluation was submitted as initial evidence. However, the evaluation was not clear as to the U. S. equivalency of each level of foreign educational achievement.

My labor says: US Bachelor in Computer Science or Information Systems or its Foreign Equivalent

My Edu is: B.Com
5 Semesters at NIIT
1 Year Graduate Diploma in Commercial Computing from Australian University, Which is a post bacheleratte degree with Bachelors as its minimum requirements towards its entry.

My initial Educational evaluation was course by course in details which I obtained for entry towards M.S in US from WES which states that I have US equivalent B.S in Information Systems with 1 Year studies towards Post Graduation in Computer Science.(I discontinued MS for other personal reasons, but I do have their offer letter from University and transcript from 1 semester)

Based on the postings it seems like if I can get my edu evaluation stating that
B. Com is a mandatory for 1 year GDCC which is a pure Comp. Sci. course and that GDCC equals US B.S, might be able to present a decent case.

Please comment.

Thank You Billtoo, United Nations, muchadus for directing me and giving me some hope

It's been a roller coaster week so far.
My lawyer says that it is company policy and they cannot give me copies of ETA 750A or the I-140 RFE. :mad:

They informed me that I have my original Labor still pending and it is in one of the Backlog Centers (Dallas I think which was applied way back in Sept 2002).
They are planning to file a H-1B for me effectively converting me from an Advance Parol to H-1B.

I have already spent 5 years on L-1B and then 1 year on AOS and now H-1, I can't imagine what next?? :eek:
Am getting mixed responses regarding who can apply for the 20K H-1B's (FY2005) and I am trying to check whether people with non Masters degree could apply for it.
Else worst case would be leave the country for 3 months and be back in OCT on H-1B (FY2006)

Is it possible to change/apply for a H-1B when 140/485 is pending???

Do let me know if there are any other alternatives.

Thanks a lot!!!

Thanks muchadus & unitednations,

Although, personally I'm comfortable on the education front as far as my application is concerned, I would like to appreciate the inputs of muchadus for giving here a detailed listing of procedure he followed in response to his query. It looks his meticulous way, perseverance and positive attitude finally defied the opinion of almost all attorneys and got a favorable solution. This would surely help others in similar situation.

Finally, it goes without saying the selfless and workable suggestions given by unitednations in this & other forums here which has benefited many. I would once again like to thank unitednations and look forward to his continued work of excellence.

Good luck, hope no one is forced to pack their bags.

DIGS
EB3, India
RD Apr.04
140 ??

Any luck for 3 years BCS + 2 months certifications

Hi All,
First of all I must congratulate muchadus for being a true fighter and also appreciate UN's selfless efforts that he has put in for all of us.

My case is also at AAO since Dec 2004. My 140 got denied on the basis of Education. My ETA-750 says 4 years BS Degree in computer science of Foreign Equivalent. I have 3 years Bachelor's in Computer Science from Pune University in India. Plus I have a few training certificates from private institutes and 8 years of total work experience. I have also submitted an evaluation by trustforte that equates my degree to US Bachelor's degree.

After reading and consulting a few more lawyers, I am 99% sure that my case will be denied by AAO but I guess I never lose hope so I am asking this question. Is there any way I can send more evidence or I can ask my attoney to revise my Labor (I read this in murthy dot com) which might help? Or do something else.

I have applied for another labor as a backup.

marooti, why do you think that your case will be denied? What did your educational evaluation say? If it said that your degree + certificates match a BS in computer science, then you should be OK.

cfiler,
The Evaluation done by Trustforte (and also by Leslie Jacobson) says that I have BS degress equivalent from US and even I can get admission in Masters in US on the basis of my degree from India. NSC said that I am still missing a year of education. They also said that the evaluation may be considered at the discretion of USCIS. I thought they are being too harsh. I can only hope that the AAO are not so harsh. I think the wordings on Labor form ETA-750A are of utmost importance, I guess this was not the case in the past.

I just learnt yesterday that one of my collegues who has B.Sc. Mathematics, a 3 yrs degree, from india was aproved for I-140 with the same kind of labor as mine. I am happy for him but at the same time I think NSC is a bit too unpredictable with the way they process immigration petitions.

Marooti,
I have few questions on your colleague case.

Does his ETA 750 column 15 allowing any combination or experience?
Did your colleague get the Education REF on I-140?