Returning to COP topic in the news TODAY!!

Cl_Asylee

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Today, in the program "Despierta America" (Good morning America) from Univision channel, a recognized lawyer said: that GC holders that are former asylees should not go back to their COP, even if a relative dies because immigration officers may question the validity of your asylum.

I just want to let you know. It is no my own opinion, is the lawyer opinion. Up to you.

Here is the video (in Spanish):

http://www.univision.com/content/videoplayer.jhtml?cid=2356821

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. There had been am endless disscusion about this topic in the forum and never an agreement this video may put an end to this disscusion...

Hi,

Today, in the program "Despierta America" (Good morning America) from Univision channel, a recognized lawyer said: that GC holders that are former asylees should not go back to their COP, even if a relative dies because immigration officers may question the validity of your asylum.

I just want to let you know. It is no my own opinion, is the lawyer opinion. Up to you.

Well, this is a well discussed matter in this forum. All I could say is lets compare this matter with shoplifting. Wondering what do I mean by this ??? Yes, if one steal something from a store & don't get caught he/she has no problem & get away with this but if it is just the other way you all know what could be the consequences.
Going back to COP while in PR status ( GC holder asylum based ) might have consequences depending on the interviewing officer at your citizenship interview. Now since none of us knows what kind of IO we'll face in our interview therefore who knows what could happen. In my case I went COP once for 2 weeks & had no problem regarding that trip. But I'm not the example here cause I could be asked many questions may be I was lucky. But luck won't really help all at all times. Therefore my defense regarding this was I was well prepared to answer all questions about my trip to COP. So in a nutshell if you go back to COP be well prepared to defend your act.
Atique.

Again, it is no my opinion. I know a lot of people that have traveled to their COP without any consequences. I just wanted to share the news and video.

Hi,

My friend has not got USA citizenship as he returned to his motherland once. It is a fact.

My friend has not got USA citizenship as he returned to his motherland once. It is a fact.

USCIS has the power to revoke permanent residency status and in some rare cases revoke citizenship (Denaturalization) if they discover that the alien provided false information when he/she applied for asylum, green card, or citizenship.

Returning to COP might trigger an investigation that leads ICE to re-open the alien immigration file.

OK..i speak Spanish
number one..they are talking in that link about the TPS..nothing to do with this subject
number two..again with all my respect..univision is a channel based in Miami(florida) who are always talking about immigration but not in the best way...many Latino lawyers are always so dramatic in the way that give scary advices about asylum etc...my lawyer when i got my asylum was 10000 American..why? cause i know the way with my community/..and to be honest without to sound like a jerk...i prefer to hang out with americans or other etnicities...my doctor who is from india he just became american citizen and went just one time for family reasons..when he was permanent resident thanks of asylum...he's got all the papers why he went there (all legal) but he never abused/...he just went for two weeks
You will find one old lawyer in in Miami..who is writing a section in the Miami herald...scaring people with his advices .me ..i prefer to live in new york state.....he is always giving advices about not to go in a very scary way even when you became American citizen..WHAT A BULL...you CAN GO like permanent resident with a justified reason...sick parents..horrible news...and please bring with yourself the papers...proving why you went there..hospital,,,funeral home etc....
if they ask you why.?.you have the papers (please autentify them in a notary in your cop and make an official translation before your trip back...IF THEY DON;T ASK YOU...you don't need to say nothing else... is just my opinion cause i work with a lot of people who became American citizens...DON'T answer what they don';t ask you...don't overstay if you need to go to your COP..STAY less than a month...don;t take risks if you don't need to..just go for a real reason and don't abuse...
i NEVER BEEN BACK to my cop and don't plan to..BUT I WANT TO BECOME AMERICAN CITIZEN CAUSE i want to bring my mother here with me full time..she is still living there and she is getting old everyday..i pray to god that nothing happened the time between i became American citizen...that's the only reason to go if i need to go...but no for other one.,..
this is just my opinion..you are free to do whatever your heart and reason tell you to do
see you later guys

OK..i speak Spanish
number one..they are talking in that link about the TPS..nothing to do with this subject

Yes, they start talking about TPS, but in the minute 2, he talked about GC holders that were former asylees and return to COP. Someone else that understand Spanish please check the video.

And AGAIN, it is not my opinion. Just want to share the news and video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I don't think this video puts the argument to rest, it is a point of view that adds to it. Again, it is still a grey area, unfortunately, and one's decision must be based on thorough research and personal consideration.

I saw the video and at some point the lawyer does talks about Green Card holders thru asylum returning to their COP.

He has the guts to say that you can not return no matter who's dying.

In my opinion, this lawyer don't have a mother. Not even inmigration law says that. Immigration law allows you to return to your COP when a close relative is sick or when there is a death in the family.

I think he is overreacting. He is being more strict than USCIS. In my opinion, as long as you don't abuse, things will be all right.

Chillout!

in my opinion, this lawyer don't have a mother. Not even inmigration law says that. Immigration law allows you to return to your cop when a close relative is sick or when there is a death in the family.

I think he is overreacting. He is being more strict than uscis. In my opinion, as long as you don't abuse, things will be all right.

agree