Restrictions on USC through Asylum?

GayGuy

Registered Users (C)
Good afternoon to the forum. I recently became a USC. I achieved that status through asylum a few years back. Am I allowed to visit the COP now? There is no interest in living there but I just would like to see my parents again. is there any chance that I could be questioned about why I visited the COP now that I am a USC or that they could cancel my citizenship or reopen my asylum case or something like that if I were to make a visit to the COP as a USC?

Good afternoon to the forum. I recently became a USC. I achieved that status through asylum a few years back. Am I allowed to visit the COP now? There is no interest in living there but I just would like to see my parents again. is there any chance that I could be questioned about why I visited the COP now that I am a USC or that they could cancel my citizenship or reopen my asylum case or something like that if I were to make a visit to the COP as a USC?

Your status as an LPR was (somewhat) conditional, your citizenship is not (assuming your process for obtaining citizenship was valid). So - if any other American citizen can visit a place, so can you.

Theoretically, a visit to the COP could trigger an investigation into whether you lied to gain asylum, and if your lying is exposed your citizenship could be revoked. It wouldn't be the COP visit by itself that would jeopardize your citizenship.

But in reality, such investigation is very unlikely unless you are being investigated for another crime. And to revoke your citizenship the burden is on the government to provide "clear and convincing" evidence to the court to show that you lied. Also, if you no longer have citizenship in that country, that alone may be enough to explain why you now feel safe to go there even though you were persecuted in the past (of course, it depends on the specific facts of the persecution).

I wonder if you are talking about Russia...I am kinda in the same boat :/

Thanks to you Cafeconleche and the others who responded. based on what you guys have said it should not be a problem to visit the COP now. Can anyone refer me to something that sets this out in any kind of immigration manual or something like that so that I can feel totally safe?

I know at least 30 people who've visited their COP after naturalization. They all got naturalized via asylum (primary, not derivative).

P.S. I live in the Bay area.

Good luck.