Requirements for length of study?

2012S

Hello,

I have a friend who would like to come to the United States to take English classes and also to visit. He has not had luck getting approved for a tourist visa in the past, but my parents are now willing to sponsor him so he would have enough funds to come on a student visa and study English. I looked at a list of the SEVIS approved schools, and some of them offer 2 or 4-week sessions. Would he be likely to be approved for a visa as long as he has all of the required documentation and is going to participate in one of those programs, or do people need to be enrolled for a longer period of time in order to get approved? Ideally, he would like to do a 2 or 4 week course and then stay for a few weeks to visit (since I read that students can stay for 60 days after their studies end).

Also, the schools offer medical insurance. Does he need to purchase separate insurance for the few weeks he would be here after classes end? Not sure if the insurance is a requirement for the visa or just for the school.

Thank you!