• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Renting an apartment w/o credit and job

agorazo

Registered Users (C)
Hi to all, rental agencies require credit check and job verification before they can rent an apartment to you. I do I overcome that when I am new to the US with no credit history and no firm job offer yet ? anyone with similar experience ?

I am in the same position as you, the only thing I can think of is to take my credit card with me to show them that I must have a good credit history

Yes, please respond if anybody has experience with this matter. I am so afraid failing to get an apartment once I arrive in the US. It takes some time to received SS and green card, so we do not have any identity. No SS, green card, and job, how do we get an apartment?

I am in the same position as you, the only thing I can think of is to take my credit card with me to show them that I must have a good credit history

haha. "take ur credit card with you to show them". It dosen't work that way buddy. They don't need to see ur credit card. All they need is your SSN.
Anyway, u might get by in a low income residential area without good credit(no credit at all sometimes). But if you are looking in a working class residential area, they will probably be concerned about you not having any credit.No credit in american means bad credit.

Some apartments accept application if you put extra security deposit. But some doesn't. It all depends on the apartments.

But I have never seen the apartment asking for 1/2 year worth as deposit. It's more likely one month extra plus the regular deposit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it help if I pay more security deposit and pay, let's say 1/2 year rental in advance ?

Most apartments don't do that cuz its not very safe for business. if you don't have a job, there's no guarantee that at the end of the 6 months deposit, that you will be able to make payments on time.
it would be hard but u will definitely find an apartment somewhere but it would probably not be in an area that u would like to stay in.

Thanks guys for the replies. Looks like I've got to spend a sum of money to live in a furnised apartment while I keep looking for an unfurnished one in less popular/remote areas that can accept me or best still, secure a job shortly after I receive my SSN.

When I first went to the US with H1-B I didn't have SSN or credit history either. Maybe I was just lucky but they let me rent a nice apartment in a gated apartment complex in a very good neighborhood. I had to leave 1 month worth of security deposit but that was all. It's in Georgia, north Atlanta suburbs.

But I also heard from coworkers that in New Jersey it's almost impossible to rent an apartment without SSN.

BTW my interview is tomorrow :D

alright

I think that you will be just fine.

I would just explain the situation to them. Show them your passport, your welcome letter, your bank statement from your home country and whatever else might help your case. I would tell them that you will provide your SS# ASAP and you can even offer to pay a couple of months in advance (or a higher security deposit or so). Just explain your situation and tell them that you will provide whatever you can to make it work. They are probably not too big on illegals with no SS#, however your case is completely different.

After all, those apartment complexes want to make money, too. Just talk to them and I bet you will find a decent apartment in a good neighborhood.

my friends rented their apartment in Atlanta within a week of arriving on a DV visa - no SSNs, no credit history, etc.
Rental agencies may have different rules, but you can try to find an apt on your own. Try craigslist.com as well, and www.forrent.com

Lucy Mo is right. Try looking for differnet agencies which do not go by strict rules.

I am not able to rent apartment in Los Angeles area without SS, ID, credit history, and permanent employment. Does anybody know how to get it without those things? I prefer Azusa, Arcadia, Duarte, Covina, or West Covina area. Thanks.

what is your status ??

I am not able to rent apartment in Los Angeles area without SS, ID, credit history, and permanent employment. Does anybody know how to get it without those things? I prefer Azusa, Arcadia, Duarte, Covina, or West Covina area. Thanks.

I am not able to rent apartment in Los Angeles area without SS, ID, credit history, and permanent employment............ not even a Passport ?? what is your status in America then ?This Forum i believe is primarily to help people who are in the States or are yet to enter the USA with a DV Lottery immigrant visa.If you don't have any of the above requirements then it will be difficult for someone to point you in the right direction.

I prefer Azusa, Arcadia, Duarte, Covina, or West Covina area...... a beggar with choice.

Well , i don't know whether you obtained your visa with an affidavit of support or not... But i quite remember that on one of the forms it is stated that all applicants should provide address details of someone who will be willing to accomodate you during the first few weeks of arrival to the States.All or most of the visas will be granted based on satisfactory proof of that condition .This is also the same address where your GC and SS# will be sent to.If you have your passpport,ss# and the required first and last rent then the rental agencies will be reasonable with you.You might not necessarily be able to get an apartment in your preferred location due to ertain restrictions that is why you should be a bit flexible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well , i don't know whether you obtained your visa with an affidavit of support or not... But i quite remember that on one of the forms it is stated that all applicants should provide address details of someone who will be willing to accomodate you during the first few weeks of arrival to the States.
that is not what the forms ask for. They ask for a mailing address for the GC to arrive to. They also ask if an applicant has an address he intends to live at. Many don't. THere is no question on the form similar to what you stated above.

All or most of the visas will be granted based on satisfactory proof of that condition
that is not correct.

Well , i don't know whether you obtained your visa with an affidavit of support or not... But i quite remember that on one of the forms it is stated that all applicants should provide address details of someone who will be willing to accomodate you during the first few weeks of arrival to the States.All or most of the visas will be granted based on satisfactory proof of that condition .This is also the same address where your GC and SS# will be sent to.If you have your passpport,ss# and the required first and last rent then the rental agencies will be reasonable with you.You might not necessarily be able to get an apartment in your preferred location due to ertain restrictions that is why you should be a bit flexible.

I have enough fund to meet the requirements and my application has been approved. I don't have any relative in the US.
Of course I provide an US address but it does not mean that I can stay at the same address. It is my friend's address. Within a week or two I have to be able to get an apartment. I don't think you have any experience to apply for an apartment in Los Angeles area.

I think with no job and credit it will be very difficult to find anything in an urban area right now, there is just too much competition. In other areas people are more willing to make exception or hear your story, especially if you can present yourself as a professional person with education. In urban areas why should someone rent to a new foreigner with no job, when there are plenty others with employment.

My advice in the short term is to use Craigslist.org and find someone who is looking for a flatmate. Click on your city and then look at the housing listings. Especially if it someone from your community they might be more accomodating. The added benefit is usually you are not directly on the lease (so less legal responsibility), and there is often no official credit check because you are accepting a sublet from the official tenants. For example, a group of students who rent a multi-bedroom flat or house, and look to fill one bedroom. Just use common sense because Craigslist.org is a public posting board and nothing is guaranteed for safety, fraud, etc. But many people find housing this way in the US especially short term.

Hello all,

My family entered US on 4 June. We had to spend quite a bit to stay at Extended Stay America which is a furnished motel. With our friend's friend help, he co-signed for us so that we can rent an apartment for 1 year. The leasing agent checked my bank account too. I think it is needful to know and get someone's help in the US for those we plan to migrate there. A car is very very important.

Just for everyone's info and best wishes.