Renewing National Passport

afila said:
Can you give me one real example when USCIS asked you to show your NP? We have our status and we don’t need to prove anything anymore. If traveled with this passport then I guess it’s a different story, otherwise I believe you can forget about it.

I don't think that I understood your question. Can you clarify?

afila said:
Can you give me one real example when USCIS asked you to show your NP? We have our status and we don’t need to prove anything anymore. If traveled with this passport then I guess it’s a different story, otherwise I believe you can forget about it.

I have two examples. I was personally asked to show my NP when entering U.S. in Logan Airport in Boston. I assume the officer would let me in even if I didn't have it with me but still.. Another example - I know that one guy was asked to bring his NP for the neturalization interview this year.

Minsk, Did you have your RTD? I never take my NP with me when I travel. My point was there is very small chance that somebody would ask you about your NP if you have valid US id document.

Punjabi_Munda said:
Jackdanie7,
What if you renew it after you received your GC?

If you have already been approved, your situation is very different. If the question is raised at the citizenship interview, you will just need to provide an explanation that makes sense. For example, if a person renewed his NP because he had to travel to UAE, he can say that:

1) UAE does not recognize RTD
2) Produce a copy of his flight itinerary as evidence.
3) Produce copy of an Official Letter from UAE Embassy confirming that is the case.

Renewing your NP after adjustment will reduce the burden since you won't have to preserve your status as an asylee. I highly doubt that you will come across any problems especially if the timeline between your I-485 approval, National Passport renewal, and visits to country of persecution makes sense. In another word, if you don’t raise any fraudulent flags.

As a Permanent Resident, your attorney will also have more leverage to defend your case; he can now argue that the situation in your country had changed something that he would not have been able to if your I-485 is still pending. Before you make a decision to renew, I suggest you go to the citizenship forum and read the experiences of people who have been to citizenship interviews, and get a feel of what the interviews are like. Weigh the pro and cons and then decide what's best for you. You can find the experiences broken down by cities on a sticky at the top of the forum. I think I have said just about everything on this issue, i don't think that there is anything else to say except good luck to all of you!

jackdanie7 said:
If you have already been approved, your situation is very different. If the question is raised at the citizenship interview, you will just need to provide an explanation that makes sense. For example, if a person renewed his NP because he had to travel to UAE, he can say that:

3) Produce copy of an Official Letter from UAE Embassy confirming that is the case.

Renewing your NP after adjustment will reduce the burden since you won't have to preserve your status as an asylee. I highly doubt that you will come across any problems especially if the timeline between your I-485 approval, National Passport renewal, and visits to country of persecution makes sense. In another word, if you don’t raise any fraudulent flags.

As a Permanent Resident, your attorney will also have more leverage to defend your case; he can now argue that the situation in your country had changed something that he would not have been able to if your I-485 is still pending. Before you make a decision to renew, I suggest you go to the citizenship forum and read the experiences of people who have been to citizenship interviews, and get a feel of what the interviews are like. Weigh the pro and cons and then decide what's best for you. You can find the experiences broken down by cities on a sticky at the top of the forum. I think I have said just about everything on this issue, i don't think that there is anything else to say except good luck to all of you!

Bingo! That is a solution for those who renewed their passports not being aware about consequences. Go to UAE using your renewed NP! At least you will have something to say to the officer in case of any questions. :)

jackdanie7 said:

If you are of muslim faith and go on a Hajj..UAE is the place to go. Even if you renewed your passport, I don't think anyone will say anything to you because of this reason. You became an asylee because you wanted religious freedom...Where is the freedom if they dont allow you to go to your holy place??...

wantmygcnow said:
If you are of muslim faith and go on a Hajj..UAE is the place to go. Even if you renewed your passport, I don't think anyone will say anything to you because of this reason. You became an asylee because you wanted religious freedom...Where is the freedom if they dont allow you to go to your holy place??...

Great point. If you can get some sort of proof that you can take to the citizenship interview, it will be even better! Based on the citizenship interview experiences that I've read, I don't think that USCIS will even ask why you renewed your NP if you have already been adjusted, but it's always better to be prepared and not be surprised if they do ask the question.

Regards.

Minsk said:
Bingo! That is a solution for those who renewed their passports not being aware about consequences. Go to UAE using your renewed NP! At least you will have something to say to the officer in case of any questions. :)
Or you can just buy refundable tickets to UAE , make copy , and return.
You can say later that you change plans...and went to Las Vegas or something...

ClevelandOH said:
Or you can just buy refundable tickets to UAE , make copy , and return.
You can say later that you change plans...and went to Las Vegas or something...

Don't do that dude, LOL. That's just an example since I find it hard to explain without giving one.. There are a lot of other valid reasons and chances are you will come across one. Don't risk getting caught lying for a small thing like this since lying is inadmissible, the price is your citizenship and your life in the U.S. If USCIS finds out not even the best attorney in the country can help you.

Regards.

It's more then 15 years since I left my country, it will take me at least another 7 to get to the citizenship interview. I think the good excuse will be: I don't have my NP passport anymore. I believe it sounds logical after 22 years living in US. Also I can’t imagine that somebody will question my asylum case at that time.

afila said:
It's more then 15 years since I left my country, it will take me at least another 7 to get to the citizenship interview. I think the good excuse will be: I don't have my NP passport anymore. I believe it sounds logical after 22 years living in US. Also I can’t imagine that somebody will question my asylum case at that time.

Question:

What would be the consequence if somebody was denied citizenship because of renewed NP, or other "inadmissable" reason ? Can he still keep GC just for next citizenship application, or wait more years to become good moral character citizen then re-apply ?

afila said:

I received same advise from one of the lowers I had an interview with, not a bad lower by the way and I am sure he wanted to help

LenJ said:
I received same advise from one of the lowers I had an interview with, not a bad lower by the way and I am sure he wanted to help
Looks like you meant LOVERS , not lowers.Lucky you , you have more than one lover!And at least one of them according you posting is "not a bad"!
I'm kidding , good luck to you!!!

wantmygcnow said:

The HAJJ takes place in Saudi Arabia for Muslims. NOT the United Arab Emirates.

I renewed my NP at my embassy while still an asylee. I included a copy of my renewed passport in the Request for Additional Evidence from the CIS before approving my application for GC. I've had my GC since May 2005.

ma1231 said:
I renewed my NP at my embassy while still an asylee. I included a copy of my renewed passport in the Request for Additional Evidence from the CIS before approving my application for GC. I've had my GC since May 2005.

How about the situation in your country of origin ? Has it changed since you claimed presecution?

wantmygcnow said:
SOrry I meant saudi arabia..saudi arabia doesn't accept RTD either..I think

Saudia Arabia recognized RTD, I went there last month on RTD and funny thing is that they treat you just like an American cause they consider it a US passport not knowing what RTD is.