Renewing a TN for the first time

Daver

Hi all,

I am doing my first TN extension through mail while living in the US. I originally just applied for the TN at the boarder. So, I haven't encountered this I-129 form before, and I have a lot of questions. I think I just need a good guide to get me going, as the DHS instructions for I-129 is less than thorough.

Some vague questions are: what all do I need to send in? I know I need an I-129, and some sort of support letter. Is that support letter essentially (or exactly) the same as the one I used to get the TN in the first place, or what information will this letter contain? Do I need to send in my passport? My college degrees? What else might I be missing? I presume I have to send original copies of everything (and that they will indeed be returned to me), but if I can get away with sending copies, let me know.

Specific questions I have about the forms:

General I-129 (pages 1-4):

- Part 4, question 1, I am still in the US, so should I put anything here? Maybe a port of entry in Canada in case I return while the application is going through?

- Part 5, boxes 3 and 4, what (if anything) do I put for LCA Case Number and NAICS code?

- Part 5, box 9, when would I check Organization instead of Citizen/Perm.Res.?

Free Trade Agreement Supplement (page 7)

- Section 1, when would I choose Free Trade status vs Nonimmigrant status? I didn't know that there were two types of TN, and I don't know which one I am. My I-94 and passport stamps don't indicate which.

That's it. Thanks for reading.

I just had one recommendation.. if you're near a border, just go across and get it renewed... it is much simpler, faster and you'll get piece of mind.

Ya, that's not the most convenient possibility for me. For now, I am just trying to see if it can be done via mail.