Renew J-2

masematn

Registered Users (C)
Here is the deal - my wife needs to leave US for a couple of weeks. She has a J-2 which has expired about 3 years ago, so she'll have to apply for a new J-2. The status is legal. My J-1 expired at the same time. DS-2019, departmental letter, and so on, everything is OK. We are not subject for 2 years requirement. Are there any tricks/problems in renewing only the J-2, since I stay in US with my expired J-1? Thanks!

You mean your J-1/J-2 visa STAMPS are expired but your STATUS is still valid (DS-2019). In that case there should be no problems what so ever. Stamp is only required to enter the US.

You mean your J-1/J-2 visa STAMPS are expired but your STATUS is still valid (DS-2019). In that case there should be no problems what so ever. Stamp is only required to enter the US.
Many thanks, nscagony. So you are saying that getting a new stamp is simple when the status is valid? Because yes, there are no problems with the status: my DS-2019 is valid for another year, and I-94 has a D/S on it. If so, it's good!

The stamp in the passport is something to enter the US from overseas. If your DS is valid and not expired then it is OK for here to go to the consulate to apply for another stamp. Getting this new stamp from the consulate may be in few hours up to many months depending on many factors including name check, availability for interview appointment, your country ....etc. Check with the international office in your place and they shoud sign for you here DS form, call the consulate overseas to schedule an appointment consistant with the time of here travel.

If you didn't have problems when you got the stamp initially, there should be no problems now. Its more difficult in countries with high rates of immigration fraud, or countries that are considered a security issue. If you are from a country that is member of the visa waiver program, getting a stamp is usually as easy as walking in and walking out with a stamp. Since they know that you have easier options to get into the US than getting the stamp (just hop on a plane), they don't pay as much attention.

If you didn't have problems when you got the stamp initially, there should be no problems now. Its more difficult in countries with high rates of immigration fraud, or countries that are considered a security issue. If you are from a country that is member of the visa waiver program, getting a stamp is usually as easy as walking in and walking out with a stamp. Since they know that you have easier options to get into the US than getting the stamp (just hop on a plane), they don't pay as much attention.

Hmm... hopping in a plane sounds attractive! I wish I could do it, but nope so far - my country is not a member of any waivers :-( But I didn't have any problems initially, and this J-1 is not my first J visa. Let's hope it will work. Thanks yall for responces!

As soon as your wife sends documents to KCC or CIS in order to proceed with AOS or an immigrant visa, she, most likely, will not be able to get a J-visa or, under certain circumstances, even enter US on a valid J-visa.

As soon as your wife sends documents to KCC or CIS in order to proceed with AOS or an immigrant visa, she, most likely, will not be able to get a J-visa or, under certain circumstances, even enter US on a valid J-visa.

You are reading my mind...

I think you should slow down with sending immigration forms, but instead, you need to hurry up with securing your birth certificate.

I think you should slow down with sending immigration forms, but instead, you need to hurry up with securing your birth certificate.

Many thanks for a good advice. That's exactly what I am fixing to do; folks overseas have started touching the ground with my BC, the CIS waits till my number becomes current in October or so anyways, and KCC should be fine if it hears from me by the end of summer... And the wife's trip is canceled.

With your rank number you can wait much longer than by the end of summer. Just do not submit anything until/if you do have the birth certificate.

Last edited by a moderator: