Renew Green Card or Apply for citizenship

amitkohli

Hello,

Thanks in advance for your input.

Background:
1 I'm a green card holder since Feb 2002. My green card expires in the end of Feb 2012. I have travelled out of the US an average of a week a year, so there won't be any constraints/red flags against my record vis-a-vis legal issues/immigration.

2 I will most likely need to travel to India for a fortnight in December this year for my brother's wedding.

Given the time constraint, shall I go ahead and apply for citizenship in Texas (are wait times longer due to relatively higher traffic of applicants) or would that be cutting it to close?

The fallback would be to wait till the Green card is within 6 months of expiration and apply for its renewal and then apply for citizenship at a later stage. This option entails paying twice.

To summarize - given that there may be an urgent need to travel in about 7 months, shall I apply for citizenship or just go ahead and renew the green card (expiring in 9 months)?

Thanks very much,

Amit Kohli

You can travel while your N400 is active. As long as you go to your biometrics appointment, interview and oath, your temporary overseas travel will pose no problems (unless you're naturalized JUST before your trip, in which case you'll have to apply for an expedited passport, renunciation and visa. Also, make sure someone checks your post while you're out if you're expecting a notice.

Hi amitkohli,

Do remember to add a Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance along N-400.
Good luck

Make sure you're aware of the that you will be required surrender your Indian citizenship once you become a US citizen.

If you apply for naturalization with more than 6 months remaining on your GC, and then your GC expires before your naturalization is completed, you will be entitled to free I-551 stamping until your naturalization is ultimately approved or denied. So if you apply for natz. soon enough, you'll be able to get your green card extended (in increments of 6-12 months) without paying for renewal.

If you apply for naturalization with more than 6 months remaining on your GC, and then your GC expires before your naturalization is completed, you will be entitled to free I-551 stamping until your naturalization is ultimately approved or denied. So if you apply for natz. soon enough, you'll be able to get your green card extended (in increments of 6-12 months) without paying for renewal.

I don't have a passport, can I still get the stamp I-551?

I sent the Application to replace my green card and it has been a week already, but I haven't gotten any E-notification from USCIS. Usually how long does it take? Anyone knows?