Registering my own company and working for it overseas

I like to add that the sole purpose of ANY country accepting a new citizen (besides humanitarian or political crap) is tax revenue. Please read the requirements of being able to support yourself in the first place (not only valid for the US, but most countries) AND that even if you just want to travel there (entry into the EU and US requires that your social and medical expenses are covered) even for a vacation.

Why else would they accep you? Out of kindness? Get real.

The US accepts new immigrants because it needs new people to stabilize its natality/mortality rate. Population growth has not been able to keep up with mortality rates, so new immigrants are needed to maintain a positive ratio. If it were for tax purposes only, new citizens wouldn't be allowed to leave the country as soon as they became citizens. That is not the case, however.

Ahm,

can you sat the bottle of fine wine aside and re-think your statement?

The absolute sole purpose of admission is tax revenue.

Has nothing to do with staying or not.

What the f#$k got into your brain?

If you can not contribute to the riches of a country, why would they admit you?

Sorry - you just absolutely disqualified yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can not contribute to the riches of a country, why would they admit you?

You don't solely contribute to the "riches of a country" by paying taxes. You also contribute by providing labor - highly skilled or not. There is a large labor market, and in order for it to grow and thrive, it needs new workers. Since the rate of mortality is higher than the rate of natality, there is a need for immigration to close that gap. Those immigrants create wealth for the country not by their taxes, but by their productivity.

Sorry - you just absolutely disqualified yourself.

I think you disqualified yourself when you started claiming that your opinion is an absolute fact.

If it were for tax purposes only, new citizens wouldn't be allowed to leave the country as soon as they became citizens. That is not the case, however.
Citizens are liable for US taxes on worldwide even after leaving the US (treaties and exemptions cancel out that liability for most people, but if your income is high it's very likely you'll have to pay something).

I am a green card holder and will be applying for my citizenship in Dec. 2009. I have been unemployed for awhile now and been thinking about registering my own company and then working for my company as a consultant overseas.
If the purpose of registering your company in the US while you work overseas is to help maintain your green card or get citizenship, forget it. It won't help you if it is not an established company that has done some nontrivial portion of business in the US, especially since it doesn't have even a single US-based employee. If it was so easy, every PR who wanted to work overseas for a long time would just register a US company before leaving.

Nope, it is the very definition of it.

Whilst there is technically a value added tax, the determination of such tax has changed and thus (by means of living language) doesn't exist any longer in it's original definition.

Hence (and do I love the German language for being preceise) VAT is gone and it is a tax based on revenue and not soley on adding x% each time you trade goods and services (which is what VAT is)

But again, this isn't the point the OP made.

Well in the UK VAT is exactly as you describe a tax on the % increase in value at each stage of process.

I would think HM Customs and Excise would be amused to hear it doesn't exist.