Regarding Passport

scarlethawk

Registered Users (C)
There is a fairly good chance I will need to travel overseas in the third week of January. My question is what is my best bet with getting a passport?

My worry is that is too far for expedited application and too soon for regular application (via USPS).

If I apply at federal passport facility they require a ticket of travel in the next two weeks (at least here in Chicago), which I don't have (and my trip is not confirmed yet.)

If I apply using regular passport application at USPS, I have heard they can take up to six weeks. Which can cause problems with my potential trip.

Any suggestions?

Also, do you have to send them the original naturalization certificate or a copy?

Thanks in advance!

Expedited with Express mail (at a post office) takes about 2 weeks (10-14 days (I think) for the three in my family).

In Dallas, the airport post office takes passport applications until 7 or 8pm. See if it is the same at O'Hare and go now.

If you are traveling to a country which requires a visa for U.S. citizens, you apply expedited at any given point in time. The 14 day period does not apply in that case.

Cheers!
Legal

LegalAlien99 said:
If you are traveling to a country which requires a visa for U.S. citizens, you apply expedited at any given point in time. The 14 day period does not apply in that case.

Cheers!
Legal

Do they ask for proof? Like tickets for the eventual travel? My complexity is that the plan is only 90% sure at this point.

Here is what I did:

I had to travel to the Republic of Moldova, which requires (until January) U.S. citizens to hold a valid visa. When I scheduled my appointment at the passport agency, I had not booked the ticket. All I took was a printout of the itinerary, not the actual booking. No problems. They did not even look at it.

Cheers!
Legal

You do what you have to do, but it seems pretty clear to me that the right thing to do is to ask for an expedited passport. What you're trying to discover is if there is a way around it with a trip that is not a 100% sure to jump ahead of the queue and get a passport both quicker and cheaper. I still think that the right thing to do is to ask for an expedited passport.

My 2 cents.

Probably the correct route would be expedited service via the post office/express mail. Its about a 2 week turnaround, and yes you need to list your travel date on the application form, but nobody will ask to see the ticket or hold you to the dates.