Refused to issue unrestricted Driver License

all4GreenCard

Registered Users (C)
My wife, who is a derivative asylee, went to the NY DMV today to get a Drivers license, and was told that she couldn't be issued a regular DL, since she's not a USC/GC holder.

She's got "temporary visitor" in big red letters, and it's also valid for just one year. Supervisor said that asylees are not entitled to regular DL's and he knows better (for sure!).

I know for a fact, that one of the provisions of Real ID says explicitely that asylees are entitled to unrestricted DL's.

Could somebody advise how we should proceed?
Thanks.

I was in the same situation. You must have shown them the employment authorization which is valid for one year, I made that mistake.

I am surprised that the supervisor did not help you. When I got the ID with visitor status valid for one year, I talked to supervisor because other employees did not even know what asylum means, showed the letter from the judge and I-94 with the notice that the asylum status is valid indefinitely, and that was enough, though she still had to look something up in the computer.

I think you should go to another DMV or talk to another supervisor

Last edited by a moderator:
all4GreenCard said:
My wife, who is a derivative asylee, went to the NY DMV today to get a Drivers license, and was told that she couldn't be issued a regular DL, since she's not a USC/GC holder.

She's got "temporary visitor" in big red letters, and it's also valid for just one year. Supervisor said that asylees are not entitled to regular DL's and he knows better (for sure!).

I know for a fact, that one of the provisions of Real ID says explicitely that asylees are entitled to unrestricted DL's.

Thanks.

This happens all the time, partucularly these days DMV are asking five different evidences for prove as an asylee. I have seen many asylees who were refused for driver's lisence. This is not the law: It is impart due ot the lack of knowlegde of the handling officer. For instances, a couple of weekes ago I occuppiend a friend of mine to the DMV. I lady we met have refused three times. Each time we tried to come up with new evidence she refused. We could not confense her. Finally, I suggested that we try different officer. To our surprising the new officer has not asked that much of document. she issued him five year one.

Bottom line: Try different MDV. If the first officer refuses: try another one. if the other one refuses ask for the supervisor. If doesn't work: try an other DMV: continue the patter untill you survey all the DMV's at your city. if you can find help then something is wrong: look for a professional help......

all4GreenCard
My best bet would be to get a hold of one of the refugee resettlement agencies in your area - they normally know which DMV office has a knowledgeable staff, who can help your wife with a DL. Good luck! :)

Different states have different rules about driver license validity It's not up to the dmv worker... most provide one to two year valid DL to asylees...I'm not 100% sure think the real id act it's a federal law and states are not required to follow it.
My self in Florida first time got it for one year(my fault going with rtd) and the second time for two years (asylum docs) so I think is better to show them docs that clearly state your status as indefinite like I94 asylum approval etc

all4GreenCard said:

Thanks.

I-94 hasn't been accepted as a proof of identity for a few years at this point. At any DMV office they have a list of documents, which are accepted for the purposes of issuing a state ID. I, personally, was very lucky and got a DL valid for 10 years like any USC or GC holder because I applied in one the two offices in the area, which know the deal with asylees.

samoel
I will appreciate if you just ignore my postings. Thanks.

all4GreenCard said:

Thanks.

there is an non profit organization in NYC called CAMBA, they offer social services to asylees and they can help you with this problem, they will give you a letter or even call them to make sure you get an urestricted driver license.....their website is WWW.CAMBA.ORG
make an appoinment and they'll help you, they are very nice and helpful.

Guacho.

samoel said:
Different states have different rules about driver license validity It's not up to the dmv worker... most provide one to two year valid DL to asylees...I'm not 100% sure think the real id act it's a federal law and states are not required to follow it.
My self in Florida first time got it for one year(my fault going with rtd) and the second time for two years (asylum docs) so I think is better to show them docs that clearly state your status as indefinite like I94 asylum approval etc

It is certainly true that this is a state level rule which varies from place to place.

But the rule for Florida is very clear--asylees are treated as permanent residents and will get six year licenses. That decision was made at a very high level in the state capital.

Morning said:
samoel
I will appreciate if you just ignore my postings. Thanks.

you can not pick and choose who uses reply button in the board also you raised an issue about I94 that I mentioned so I had to reply
...anyway I deleted my reply this time next time if you want to be ignored is simple don't post in the open board use PM..

samoel
This is not your place to tell me what I can do and what I cannot. However, if you choose to continue being obnoxious and self-righteous, just go ahead. :cool:

I had the same problem before, here is what i did
first i change my ss card to non-restricted one (it's take about 10 weeks), to do so i bring the approval letter to ss office also a paragrah from ins about asylee are not restricted.
after i received the new ss then i bring the card to dmv and also bring the approval letter and the paragraph, then my officer(who have no idea) call albany to make sure that what i was an asylee and i can have not restricted driver license (its took couple days) then she call me and told me i will be receiving the driver license in the mail.

I had my driver's license renewed in Queens, NY. They renewed it regularly, no restrictions. I showed them at the time my Asylum approval letter and they also took copies of the first two pages of my passport(for ID purposes) and I also carried with me an electric bill or something to show my address and that was it I believe. I did not even need to speak to a supervisor; there was absolutely zero problem with it, no questions, no waiting (not counting the waiting for your number to be called which is expected at any DMV). So yeah, try a different DMV.

i had strange experince with DMV DC . i have my Driving licence in enlish from home .and i had to just pass exam on computer that is it .but they wanted me to bring letter from my embassy that my licence from backhome is valid.otherwise i had to do driving test.i said okay and came a few weeks later and got my driving licence without any letters from embassy,it was just lucky day :)

Dmv In Long Island

I dont know if you still having that drivers license thing in NEW YORK but you can go any DMV IN Long Island and they know about I-94 AND Asylees

Guys

I was refused the regular DL as well.
I made the mistake of showing them that damn EAD.I should have never done it.
The stupid front person kept telling me that I could not get a normal DL.His supervisor knew no better either.
I called the state capital though and I have the number of the local supervisor.
I will try to explain it to him....hopefully it works.

A quick update to you guys

Today I spoke on the phone with the regional director of the DMV.
The guy was knowledgeable regarding asylum cases.
He said that we are treated as PR.Tomorrow I have to go to his office to get normal DL.
I reside in Florida.

all4greencard

my wife who is derivative asylee got her regular driver licence

at san francisco DMV OFFICE 2 years ago, i rememer that she showed them only her i94 with asylum stamp and her national passport,

i think the employee at NY OFFICE made an error , she should issue your wife regular driver licence, alot of those employees at city jobs are idiots,

most of them affirmative action hired