Refund of $155 PP - Forced Renunciation Fees during the Month of May 2010

I think people should seriously considering filing a lawsuit against Indian Govt., with or without the help of an attorney, which at least would cost a big money to Indian Govt. to defend themselves in a court since they cannot represent without an attorney. All you would loose is a little filing fee and a few hours of your time at the time of hearing if you handle everything by yourself. A class action suit would be a perfect one, if possible.

I've just heard from two reliable sources that they have filed a suit on this issue against Indian Consulate. Not sure though where they filed the suit, in India or elsewhere. Also, going to media over here and in India would make the Indian govt. to be fair with NRIs. Right now media is a VERY big voice in India. Also, writing to the President and Prime Minister of India would DEFINATELY help. Indian govt. knows that these people over here have family and friends in India who could be a vote-bank for them. Besides, writing to these big shot people only could make a change than anyone else as lower people might have no authority on taking any such action on this issue. They just follow the Orders. So why not write to those who could possibly do something than to those who didn't make such policies?

I think people should do anything and everything possible than just moving on with disappointment. A commulative voice will make them to change the course of action like it has done with USCIS and FBI about background checks and other stuffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also a victim of the Government of India's daylight robbery. This is what I read in the latest edition of the GOPIO Newsletter:

"Many people have paid the fee of $175 and penalty of $250 to obtain his/her Surrender Certificate prior to June 1, 2010. It may be administrative inconvenience to issue refunds but it will continue to be source of anger in the minds of many people and somewhat tarnish years of goodwill built by the mutual healthy relationship between India and its Diaspora.
Timely attention is required to address these outstanding issues in a fair and equitable manner. Indians who have become citizens of other countries must not be made to feel that the Government of India is preying on them. Such negative feeling could diminish their loyalty and continuing support for their motherland.

GOPIO urges Indian community groups, organizations and individuals to write to the Prime Minister at pmosb@pmo.nic.in, the Secretary of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) at psfs@mea.gov.in, and the Secretary of the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) at secretary@moia.nic.in, with a copy to GOPIO at GOPIOmail@yahoo.com."

In addition to sending letters we should try to get the story published in any Indian National newspaper (TOI, HT etc.).

Here is what I also think. The idiots at the CGI probably have no ways of really knowing who paid what. In all the chaos and rush when this damn rule was enforced, they probably only checked on the spot whether the correct fees were paid and then cashed the check. I would be surprised if they actually accounted by person what each person ended up paying. So their dilemma is also how to validate what people said they are owed as refunds. Idiots.

Here is what I also think. The idiots at the CGI probably have no ways of really knowing who paid what. In all the chaos and rush when this damn rule was enforced, they probably only checked on the spot whether the correct fees were paid and then cashed the check. I would be surprised if they actually accounted by person what each person ended up paying. So their dilemma is also how to validate what people said they are owed as refunds. Idiots.

You may be right, these idiots did this in such a rush, I don't think they have any process to validate and track the refunds. But, they can still do it if they really want to issue the refunds. All they need is a copy of SC and copy of the original receipt for $175 which they sent along with the SC and cancelled passports.
How can we get this issue into the media? Shall we start sending letters to India Abroad, TOI and HT etc? Other than GOPIO, what other Indian communities we can approach?

JK

SFO Consulate Website Update on Refund - Bad news

Cases of renunciation / surrender of passport, received/processed up to 31 May, 2010 will not be re-opened and the amount of US$ 175/- will not be refunded. No email/phone queries will be entertained in this regard.

That means I do have a real chance to get my refund cos my case was processed on June 4th...

What a bummer though...

Any thing new on the Refund front? I have been sending them emails, and getting a generic response to check on the website rather than a sensible answer, 1st response what "We are sorry for your situation but we can not do anything", second response was bunch of urls which have no information on refund, 3rd is the same.

Anybody has got a real response, want to share in this thread?

Fees and SC

I sent in my $175 and application/passport to the consulate in NY for the SC, then the fees were changed to $20. I figured I just made a $155 donation to the consulate, but then a couple of days later I got a package in the mail that contained my MO, application and passport with a note that I should send it back with a MO for $20 + $6 to reimburse them for having to send my application back + $20 to mail back the cancelled passport. I did that and a week or so later got my SC and cancelled passport.

DoneInMarch.

Any thing new on the Refund front? I have been sending them emails, and getting a generic response to check on the website rather than a sensible answer, 1st response what "We are sorry for your situation but we can not do anything", second response was bunch of urls which have no information on refund, 3rd is the same.

Anybody has got a real response, want to share in this thread?

Have been sending reminders every week.

Very recently CGNY replied the usual 'You paid fee that was applicable on the date of service'.

I replied back stating that the fee of $175 was wrongly implemented with pitfalls, was only prevailing for 3 weeks and people who chose not to comply or those who procrastinated stood to benefit.

No reply from the great institution thereafter.

Would continue to send the emails.

I hope GOPIO is still pursuing the matter. Individuals can only do to the extent of phone calls and emails, but these organizations need to step it up further.

Have been sending reminders every week.

Very recently CGNY replied the usual 'You paid fee that was applicable on the date of service'.

I replied back stating that the fee of $175 was wrongly implemented with pitfalls, was only prevailing for 3 weeks and people who chose not to comply or those who procrastinated stood to benefit.

No reply from the great institution thereafter.

Would continue to send the emails.

I hope GOPIO is still pursuing the matter. Individuals can only do to the extent of phone calls and emails, but these organizations need to step it up further.

What they have to say about my case where these scumbags charged me $175 for processing my Indian Passport cancellation on JUNE 4th, the day fee was $20?

Oh I got the email reply with "Sorry for your situation, we can not do anything".