Red Light Traffic Violation

DocyBear

Registered Users (C)
Hello, this morning I got pulled over by a cop for running a red light in WV. I have a PA license. I did not pay attention to the light when I crossed the junction because my window was frosted up and I was in a rush to take an exam.... I was also thinking abt the exam.... So now, I have 3 tickets, namely a speeding ticket from Sept 09 and a red light camera ticket in Philly back in Feb and this red light ticket from a cop in WV....

Will this new ticket cause me a problem for citizenship? Thanks a lot for your time and help in advance.

Regards

Hello, this morning I got pulled over by a cop for running a red light in WV. I have a PA license. I did not pay attention to the light when I crossed the junction because my window was frosted up and I was in a rush to take an exam.... I was also thinking abt the exam.... So now, I have 3 tickets, namely a speeding ticket from Sept 09 and a red light camera ticket in Philly back in Feb and this red light ticket from a cop in WV....

Will this new ticket cause me a problem for citizenship? Thanks a lot for your time and help in advance.

Regards

The red light camera ticket is treated as a parking violation and definitely does NOT need to be disclosed. If you choose to disclose traffic tickets, just bring proof of payment to the interview. This won't present problems for citizenship.

Regards

Unless the fine is more than $500, you will be fine. Finish paying fine and applying for US citizenship. You will be fine.

Has USCIS really ever given that kind of explanation?

Any traffic light camera ticket is not law-enforcement-issued ticket. The camera doesn't identify who is driving. just only captures license tag. If it is not paid, it can suspend the car registration. So it does not count. Like Vorpal said, it does not need to be disclosed.

Any traffic light camera ticket is not law-enforcement-issued ticket. The camera doesn't identify who is driving. just only captures license tag. If it is not paid, it can suspend the car registration. So it does not count. Like Vorpal said, it does not need to be disclosed.

Didn't the OP say he was pulled over by COP for juming Red light?

This ticket is not issued by the Red light camera automatically...It was issued by a Cop.

This should be like a regular traffic ticket.

Didn't the OP say he was pulled over by COP for juming Red light?

This ticket is not issued by the Red light camera automatically...It was issued by a Cop.

This should be like a regular traffic ticket.

The OP had a red light camera ticket issued in Philadelphia, as well as a red light ticket issued by a police officer in West Virginia.

Tickets issued by a camera are issued to the vehicle, since they snap a photo of the license plate. At worst, such a ticket is a civil liability of the titled/registered owner of the vehicle. Besides, the N-400 asks if an applicant has "ever been arrested, cited, or detained by a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, so that right there solidifies the fact that camera tickets don't need to be disclosed.

Tickets issued by a camera are issued to the vehicle, since they snap a photo of the license plate. At worst, such a ticket is a civil liability of the titled/registered owner of the vehicle. Besides, the N-400 asks if an applicant has "ever been arrested, cited, or detained by a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, so that right there solidifies the fact that camera tickets don't need to be disclosed.
Is that universal across all states? Just because a camera is involved in the initial incident doesn't mean that the citation can't subsequently come from an appropriate law enforcement officer. This is certainly how red light and speed cameras work in the UK.

I understand that but my question is: has USCIS ever really given that kind of interpretation?

In California the red light camera citation is reviewed and signed by a police officer - that makes it a legal citation.

I understand that but my question is: has USCIS ever really given that kind of interpretation?
If the red light camera ticket does not require a court presence it isn't a citation. That's the basic definition of a citation.

In California the red light camera citation is reviewed and signed by a police officer - that makes it a legal citation.
An officer's signature doesn't define a traffic ticket as a citation. The requirement to go to court defines a traffic ticket as a citation.

Thanks for all the info, seems like I should be fine but am just really concerned if these speeding, red light tickets could possibly complicate my situation if the IO decides to link them to the moral character requirements... Thanks again

also, I went to see the magistrate after test today, he told it's just my luck that the sheriff's dept just starting this program to look out for offenders today, this morning... just my luck
he cant help me with the points, he said, it is entirely up to the DMV, but last time the judge for the speeding said no points after settlement... so strange.... but PennDOT said record and points will be reported to them by WVDOT, but it will NOT appear on my record.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that universal across all states? Just because a camera is involved in the initial incident doesn't mean that the citation can't subsequently come from an appropriate law enforcement officer. This is certainly how red light and speed cameras work in the UK.

In the US, traffic camera tickets are generated by a computer. In fact, quite a few municipalities outsource traffic camera installation and ticket processing to private firms.

An officer's signature doesn't define a traffic ticket as a citation. The requirement to go to court defines a traffic ticket as a citation.

Does it mean that when you are given a traffic violation ticket (say a speeding ticket) and you don't have to apprear before a judge but have the option of paying the fine online - which is very much possible in NJ - not sure about other states - in such a case it need not be considered a 'citation' and need not be reported in N400?

Does it mean that when you are given a traffic violation ticket (say a speeding ticket) and you don't have to apprear before a judge but have the option of paying the fine online - which is very much possible in NJ - not sure about other states - in such a case it need not be considered a 'citation' and need not be reported in N400?

Paying the fine means you are basically entering a plea of guilty. If you wanted to plead not guilty, you would likely have to go to court.

Paying the fine means you are basically entering a plea of guilty. If you wanted to plead not guilty, you would likely have to go to court.

Bobsmyth,

That does not answer my question - my question is not about you accepting your guilt or not - should a traffic violation ticket be considered a 'citation' only if you HAVE to go to court? If you have the option of NOT having to go to court, it need not be a citation for N400 purposes?

The reason I ask is - in case I had a speeding ticket, didn't have to go to court, paid the fine online - but I still provided the info on my N400.

Bobsmyth,

That does not answer my question - my question is not about you accepting your guilt or not - should a traffic violation ticket be considered a 'citation' only if you HAVE to go to court? If you have the option of NOT having to go to court, it need not be a citation for N400 purposes?

The reason I ask is - in case I had a speeding ticket, didn't have to go to court, paid the fine online - but I still provided the info on my N400.

Paying the fine in your case is equivalent to a guilty plea in court. What does your ticket say? Citation or violation?