Recording for January 04, 2024 Conference Call with Rajiv S. Khanna

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEEPAMENON

Team Member, Immigration.Com
Staff member

Rajiv S. Khanna, US Immigration Attorney, hosts a Free Community Conference Call every other Thursday to answer immigration-related questions. Whether a member of the forum or not, you are welcome to call in and ask questions or just listen to the discussion live. Questions marked as FAQ will be addressed first and these FAQ will be posted in our immigration.com FAQ section. The recording of what was discussed during the live call will be posted at the end of the day. For previous recordings click here, YouTube channel
Note that we answer posted questions and follow-ups first.
-------------------------------------------------
Call Details:
Next Call Date: January 18, 2024
Start Time: 12:30 PM Eastern Standard Time
End Time: 1:30 PM, EST
Conference Dial-in: : (202)800-8394
Topic: General Immigration-Related Questions
-------------------------------------------------

NOTE: This call does not mean that we have agreed to represent you or that there is an attorney-client relationship between us. This is merely a community service. You should discuss the specifics of your case with the attorney representing you.
PLEASE KEEP YOUR QUESTIONS BRIEF. If you need a detailed consultation on elaborate facts, speak with your lawyers or set up a consultation with us:
https://www.immigration.com/our-fees

Last edited:
H-4 extension and travel: Impact of December trip on pending approvals and future H-4/H-4 EAD

Hi Rajiv Sir,

My H4 extension approval is due in Feb 2024, however I am required to visit India in December last week and return to the USA by mid of Jan 2024 on H1B visa. If I leave in between, will it affect my existing H4 extension approval and future H4/H4 EAD approval? Please advise.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
FAQ: Holding two full-time IT jobs on H-4 EAD

Hello Sir,
Can one do two full-time jobs in IT/Software development when on H4 EAD? Is there any downside to it on any kind of future approvals by USCIS?

Thanks

Responding to validation study questions: Unexpected inquiry from the U.S. consulate in Mexico regarding H-4 visa

Hello,

I am an Indian Citizen currently in the US on an H4 visa.

I was on H1-B until Oct 2020, and changed my status to H4 after that and my H4 (along with my H4-EAD) was valid until Sep 2022. I applied for my H4 renewal (I-539 Extension of status) in May 2022 but since the application was pending until August, I traveled to Mexico to get my H4 visa stamped so I could continue my job on a renewal application of H4 EAD based on a valid H4 visa, and withdrew my previous H4 (I-539) renewal once I returned to US with a valid H4 visa stamping from Mexico.

Today, I received an unexpected call on my cellphone and the caller claimed to be from the US Consulate in Mexico. He had my name, phone number and email, along with the location in Mexico where I got my previous visa stamping at, and said that he wanted to validate if I was still on my H4 visa or if I have changed my status. I said that I cannot share information until I can validate the origin of the caller and asked to send an email. He then sent me an email from a state.gov email asking for the details and I haven't replied yet.

Below are the details that were requested from them:

We are doing a validation study on H4 visas for our last fiscal year, we would like your support in answering the following questions:

• Are you still under an H4 visa?

• Have you changed your visas status?

• Or have you extended your H4 visa.

My question is, are such requests from consulate valid? Or could this be a spam call? Would US consulates contact individuals for such information, and if so, what are our rights when we share our information with them?

Thank you!

FAQ: Transitions From H-1B job loss to B-2 status and impact on future H-1B employment

Hello,

I entered the country back in 2019 to complete my Masters degree (F1 Visa). I am on an H1-B visa, which was approved last year (10/01/2022 - 10/10/2025). However, I have yet to go to India, so visa stamping is incomplete. I got laid off on December 14, 2023, so I am on my 60-day grace period. Suppose I cannot secure a new role within the 60-day grace period. In that case, I am considering changing my status to a B2 visa to extend my stay and continue looking for an opportunity. However, since my H1 visa is not stamped, will that create an issue filling for a change of status to a B2 visa? And when I land a new job returning from B2 to H1, would that be an issue since the visa won't be stamped either?

Thank you!

Filing a DIY I-485: I-140 approval and documentation process

Hi! I would like to know if you can file a DIY I-485 as long as you have the I-140 approval and other details. Thank you.

Green card audit concerns: Using college experience for job requirement, and considering job switch amid H-1B validity

Hello Rajiv Sir, I would appreciate your help in answering my question. I was finally able to find this forum after our conversation on Linkedin and I am hoping you could guide me as you have helped me before and that's the reason I am still in the US.

I am writing to seek help regarding the possibility of an audit of my green card application (as mentioned by the external firm Fragomen working with my company). My company set a 1-year prior experience in the job description when I was hired for the full-time job in 2020. I obtained the job without prior experience after excelling in my internship. I was hired in October 2020 because of my exceptional performance in the internship after my master's graduation. Now after obtaining an H1-B in 2021, my company started filing for a green card in 2023. The external law firm then mentioned that there’s a possibility of an audit for using my undergraduate part-time job experience (we had to build this case because I pushed them to at least try) to be eligible for immigration. The case was built and showcased relevant skills obtained in the part-time jobs I performed. My PWR was filed in July 2023 and I obtained all the experience letters already to support in the later stages of my green card (PERM etc.)

To summarize, the external counsel that is filing for my green card decided to use my US master's degree for educational qualification and undergraduate part-time work experience to fulfill the 1-year job description requirement set by the company for the job description.

My question is should I switch my job (I have 4 more years of H1-B) as they mentioned the possibility of receiving an audit for using my college experience? Should I be concerned or how can I prepare myself to make sure I have a successful i-140 submission from my current employer?

Regards,
Abhey Sharma

F-1-OPT STEM extension and transition to F-1-CPT: Questions on delayed job search and CPT start dates

Hello Rajiv Sir,

I would appreciate your help in answering my question. This is a follow-up on our chat from linkedin.

I am currently on F1-OPT stem extension and my EAD expires first week of January. I plan to enroll in a university to continue with another masters and the course first week of January as well. My current employer though does not allow employment on F1-CPT and hence I would have to look for another job in the next couple weeks.

I have the following questions for you:

1. Is it fine if I just start with my masters in Jan and not enroll in day 1 CPT until I find a job?
2. I also realized that we cannot start CPT anytime mid-semester and can only start on specified dates. In such a case, if I get a job in mid jan I would not be able to start until March (which is the next CPT cycle). What would you recommend in such a situation?

Thank you so much.

Best Regards.

FAQ: NIW Criteria

Hello Rajiv Sir,
I'm currently doing my bachelors in Computer Science outside the US, my goal is to work in an industry that generally doesn't sponsor visa. I was born in Canada, so just ROW backlog. Since I can't rely on anyone sponsoring H1B or even TN(also not a TN classified job), I will need a green card before woking in the industry.
I'm wondering how difficult it is to get an EB2-NIW with just bachelors (exceptional ability), can you explain the process and criteria for this if possible ?
My field is adjacent to AI/ML
right now I'm doing an internship as an Undergraduate research assistant and by the end I should have 6 internships (not sure if this helps).
the criterias I'm going for (obviously just a guess right now)
I'm planning to get a few certifications for AI/ML (from reputable organizations).
I will have the degree in the field.
I'm already a member of a few organizations in my field.
I can get my professors, managers during my internships and other peers, to write recommendation letters for me.

Rajiv Sir, can you provide some context as to what they are looking for in this category and it would be great if you can give some recommendation on what I can do to build a solid case.
I'm already a member of a few organizations in my field (eg: IEEE and BCS)
Thanks.

FAQ: H-1B laid off: grace period, last employment date, health insurance, and legal stay during change of employer

Hi Rajiv,

1. On H-1B visa, my last day of employment was date X, but my last paycheck was until date Y but this paycheck was for Severance pay. So, my H-1B 60-day grace period has started from date X or date Y?

2. Is it mandatory to have health insurance during H-1B 60 day grace period or beyond, and would it affect status or future visa/immigration if failed to get health insurance for sometime?

3. If H-1B change of employer is filed during H-1B 60-day grace period, but during this transfer process 60-day grace period is ended, then is it legal to stay in the U.S. during this period while H-1B change of employer is in process? Or is there a way to stay in U.S during that period.

Thanks!

Pending EB-2 India I-485 interview: Chances, timing, and safe documentation submission for AC21 job porting with own company

Hi Rajiv,

My EB2 India I485 is pending over 180 days, EAD approved and PD will become current again in Jan'24 VB. Recently few days back my pending I485 case status was updated to ''Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview".

Company A is my I485/GC supporting, sponsoring employer, but I now work for Company B on EAD.

1. What are the chances that there will a GC interview in my mentioned situation? And typically how soon can I expect GC interview scheduled by USCIS after updating pending GC case status to ready to schedule an interview?

2. I currently work for my own company B like mentioned above, if USCIS schedules an interview, will it be safe to submit my own companies
support letter, pay stubs, I485 supplement_J form and other required AC21 job & GC porting documentation to get I485 approved without any issues during the GC interview?

Thanks!

O-1A and EB-1A self-petitions: Arrival timing, dependent work authorization, criteria selection, and supporting documentation

Hi Rajiv,

Thank you very much for all the help. My apologies for the long text. I have questions related to the O1A and EB1A self-petitions. I have asked them all in a single post.

I am an established scientist living in Europe. I have a Ph.D. and 4 years of postdoctoral experience. Currently, I am in discussion with a company in California for a scientist position. Their attorney has suggested to go with O1A first, so that I can join them ASAP. Later, maybe in 2025, they might go for a lottery-based H1B as they are FOR profit. They could sponsor me for EB1B after a year of working with them. But I am willing to do an EB1A by self-petition without an attorney. I meet 6 out of 10 criteria, and I am already working on my petition. I have a few questions and would be really thankful for your suggestions.

1. How soon should I submit my EB1A i-140 once I arrive in the US on O1A? Could it be within 30 days of my arrival in the US? I read somewhere that a few attorneys do not consider O-1 as a dual intent visa and ask an applicant to wait for at least 90 days.

2. Dependents of O-1 get an O-3 visa, which does not allow them to work. The best solution here is to have my spouse’s own H1B. Under unfortunate circumstances, there is a chance that H1B does not get picked up in a lottery. If so:

i. Would my approved EB1A i-140 help my spouse in any way to obtain work authorization on O-3 (similar to those with H4 EAD)?

ii. If not: will there be any problem from USCIS’s perspective when I switch from O-1 to H1B after my i-140 gets approved? Will my i-140
still be valid, or do I have to resubmit it due to a change of visa? Our sole purpose would be to get work authorization for my spouse.

iii. Are there any travel restrictions while holding O-1 with an approved i-140?

iv. Is it true that O-1 holder should not travel after I-485 submission, even though the visa stamp is valid?

3. Although approval of O1A sets a base of extraordinary ability, the EB1A evaluation is stricter than O1A. Therefore, I do not want to claim all six of my criteria for the O1A petition. I feel that, upon doing so, my self petition for EB1A might not have anything new to claim. From my CV, the attorney would be able to find information on only 3 criteria (Awards, Scholarly Articles, and Judging Peers). I want to keep the other 3 criteria (Contribution of Major Significance, High Salary and Published Material about me / my work) for my EB1A. I feel that, as a professional expert, my company’s attorney would make a good case based on those 3 criteria. Do you think it is fair enough? Or should I inform him of all 6 criteria? Also, would it create any problem from USCIS’s perspective if we claim only 3 criteria for O1A and 6 criteria for EB1A in a short gap of a few months between the two petitions?

4. Criteria for a higher salary (EB1A): During my postdoctoral research, I received an award from the government in the form of a certificate plus a monthly fellowship (tax-free). This fellowship was more than 40% higher than what the other postdocs were earning. And it would be 80% higher if we consider their after-tax income. Information about my fellowship is well documented by the funding agency. But information about other postdocs’ salaries is not openly available. Is it okay if I provide a letter from my professor stating the salaries of regular postdocs as evidence?

5. Criteria for Judging the Peers (EB1A): I have received about 45 invitations to review manuscripts for international journals. I accepted only 17 and rejected the remaining 28 invitations due to time constraints and other commitments. In my petition, should I mention only 17? Or should I also explicitly mention those 28 that I rejected? OR should I not clarify it at all and first attach the confirmation emails of those 17 completed, followed by the invitation emails for the remaining 28? Will the USCIS officer check all 45 emails?

6. Criteria for Contribution of Major Significance (EB1A): I published a research article in a journal. The findings are of high importance for my scientific community. Another researcher (whom I do not know) selected my article and published a commentary article based on my studies. Such commentary articles aim to highlight breakthrough findings from the original research, making the information more accessible to a broader audience. My article was selected out of 11 other research articles published in the issue. Can I claim two criteria here?

i. Contribution of Major Significance: I will get a letter from the researcher explaining why he chose my study and it’s importance to our
scientific community

ii. Published Material About My Work: He has clearly mentioned in his article that it is exclusively based on my work, which is very important
for our scientific community. Does this fulfil the criteria of “evidence of published material about you in professional publication.”

7. Criteria for Contribution of Major Significance (EB1A): I also hold a patent that was published in 2014. It never got commercialized. But I feel that I should still keep this information, as it might add some weight to claim the criteria of major significance along with the commentary article (as discussed above).

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.